It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2006, 12:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Extreme dry skin..Any suggestions?

Hi all... I need your help. I have tried everything that I know of but my hands and feet are still in BAD shape. I tried the Gold Bond medicated and most other OTC lotions. Even the one's for extreme dry skin. I can't find one that actually soaks into your skin and helps with the problem. I don't do the whole putting lotion on with socks or gloves as that can breed infection in those area's and that is the last thing I need.

Right now, I actually have fissures in the areas that bend on my hands. They sting and hurt...Nevermind the infection risk there I can't use oils, like in the bath, as that releases the infusion set for my pump. Any ideas???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2006, 10:02 AM   #2
(female)

Maelef HB User
Re: Extreme dry skin..Any suggestions?

I don't have diabetes, but i do have extremly dry hands. So bad, they actually started bleeding. A nurse i know recommended a lotion called Eucerin. It's a bit more expensive then the other brands, but it works for me really good. Hope this helps ya.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2006, 11:05 AM   #3
(female)

vikingirl HB User

Hi Mommyof4...

As is the case with most of the girls in my family, the extreme dryness (particularly hands), may be a mild form of eczema. We use OTC creams that are low or without lanolin and perfumes regularly but when things get really bad (cracked and bleeding), we use a perscribed low-dose cortisone cream (.01%), until things heal up to "maintenance level" again.

It also seems to be the women in the family that have it more because we tend to be the ones with our hands in water, cleaning soaps/products, etc., all the time. I had to resort to wearing gloves to touch harsh products due to sensitive skin (the latex doctor-kind were MUCH more comfortable than those big yellow rubber ones). Also remember if you use the run-of-the-mill-type moisturizing creams, that you need to reapply more often than with a better brand - check out the main ingredients to see what it's mostly made of. I've even used baby diaper rash products as they tend to be much thicker and last much longer (Penaton is great). Gold Bond is good for itch (it's a bit antiseptic) but I never liked the smell or the greasy-without-really-moisturizing feel of it. Don't forget to ask your pharmacist, too. They can point out why one product is better than another sometimes.

Hope this helps some. Good luck!

Cheers,
- Vikingirl

Old 01-31-2006, 08:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Hi Mindy,
Do you slather every single day? Especially right after you come out of the shower?

You might also want to get a humidifier for your house. They have whole house humidifiers, or you could get a couple of the smaller, 4-gal ones for each room...especially the bedroom at night. It really helps.

DiabetiDerm works pretty well for me. It's got a fairly high urea content, which a doctor once told me is the only thing that actually ADDS moisture to your skin. All the other stuff just keeps whatever moisture you've got from escaping.

I use Dermal Therapy finger care for my fingertips/cuticles. I'm not sure where to get it, as one of my online diabetes friends sent it to me, but it's really miraculous.

I've found that whatever it is I use, I've got to use it religiously in the winter...every morning after I shower, and sometimes twice a day on my body, and hand creams 2-3 times a day. Come summer I get a reprieve!

Ruth

Old 01-31-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
(male)

fishdude HB User

I use a product line called elta. They have a swiss skin creme and a lotion. It is merchandised in the pharmacy at my local supermarket and it is marketed for people with extremely dry skin problems due to Diabetes, etc... I like the lotion better than the cream because it is very heavy, but my skin does feel a lot better once I get in the routine of using it. It claims to work for 12 hours even after numerous hand-washings. In case you can't find it where you reside, it is made by a company called Swiss-American Products, Inc. Dallas, Tx (800)633-8872. Ingredients in the cream include: Petrolatum, paraffin, Mineral Oil, PVP Eicosene Copolymer. As you would expect from it being marketed in the pharmacy section, it is a little on the pricey side; almost $10.00 bucks for a large bottle of lotion and the large tub of cream.

Old 02-01-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Thank you all so much. I do have to admit that I haven't been as faithful with it as I should be. I do try most everyday to at least moisturize my hands. You all have given such great suggestions. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again

Old 02-20-2006, 12:19 PM   #7
(female)

princess77023 HB User

Hello:

I have Eczema on my scalp and hands; and have been to two derms. with very little progress with steroid creams and medicated shampoos.

But, I was told to use "Aveeno Lotion or Cream which has Oatmeal in it". I tried it this morning and it really leaves your skin real nice and soft.

I was also told to put "Apple Cider Vinegar" and leave on for "One Hour" covered with a plastic cap; "To kill the "Yeast" Infection" (which with Eczema it is a Yeast bacteria in the body). Also, used a "Zinc" shampoo and the "Aveeno" lotion/cream. My hands really look good and I am praying that my scalp gets well.

I put the vinegar on my hands too and it did real good. Don't be afraid of the vinegar because it is harmless. Many people use it to rinse their hair as a conditioner (I have used it before for that).

I just never thought of how to kill the Yeast that causes the Eczema. But, I read it last night on this site; and it makes sense. I am praying that it helps. But, if all you have is very dry skin, use "Aveeno lotion/cream" or another one suggested was "Eucerin." I preferred the Aveeno.

Hope this helps.

Alice

Old 03-19-2006, 08:52 AM   #8
(female)

monkey4fun13 HB User

hey im going around asking every body if mineral oil is good for your skin or not. my best friend has a phobia about that and im trying to see if it is true so can you plz help me ?

Closed Thread