It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2006, 10:15 AM   #1
(female)

Twisted Blue J HB User
Question Possible Diabetes...What tests should I ask for?

Hello. I am new here and I may be new to diabetes. We shall see. I have quite a few symptoms that I believe are very likely diabetes. Although I'm only 29, I'm overweight (Eating disorder most my life), female and type 2 runs in my family. Keep in mind I have hypothyroidism since I was about 20, too. (My grandmother has had it since she was in her 20s as well. She didn't have a weight problem then and I don't blame my thyroid for my weight.) But I am on unithroid for the hypothyroidism. I'm getting ready tomorrow to get a prescription for a blood test for the thyroid again to make sure that is running well these days. I don't know if it has contributed to some of my symptoms here or not, if I need a higher dose.

But, I have had extreme thirst, like outrageous thirst. Non-stop dry mouth and needing to drink and drink even wake up to drink (Water mostly). And it never goes away! Of course I do go to the bathroom a lot, but I assume that's from all the excess drinking. My skin is very dry, I have dry patches on it and small sores and cuts that don't heal fast at all. My vision isn't the best, but it never was, so...Can't say that's a symptom really. But I've had tingling in my feet, esp. my toes, which doesn't bode well. The circulation there doesn't seem too great. I'm probably even forgetting some symptoms right now.

When I go to get the prescription for the thyroid test (Which I have to go take somewhere else, another day), I was going to ask for a prescription for a diabetes test, too. First, can I have both of those done the same day? And since I keep hearing about different tests to determine if someone has diabetes or not and that it's hard to get it diagnosed, I want to be sure I ask for the right thing or things. I am going tomorrow morning so I really need this information as soon as possible. What should I ask for?

My intentions are once the tests are done, to get them to the doctor and myself, and go from there. Find out if it is diabetes (And I really fear it is.) and what steps to take from there. If anyone can tell me what I should to, please let me know. Thank you!

Blue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2006, 11:24 AM   #2
(male)

desertdiabetic HB User
Re: Possible Diabetes...What tests should I ask for?

What they do is run a standard blood panel(my words). You will be told to fast the night before to get a fasting blood glucose level. They will also run tests for cholesterol, triglyercides and other kidney and liver function tests. They will also run an A1c test to see what your blood glucose average has been for the last 90 to 120 days. Other problems can make your A1c come back high, but mixed with the other results, especially the fasting blood glucose test will tell them(and you) if you are pre-diabetc or diabetic. Get your blood test results for yourself.

You do use the bathroom a lot more depending on what you drink, that is true. Diabetes does cause that also, it is part of the process that diabetes causes.

When you get the results back post them so we can explain what you don't understand(someone here knows something about everything)

Old 02-14-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
(female)

Twisted Blue J HB User
Unhappy Re: Possible Diabetes...What tests should I ask for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdiabetic
What they do is run a standard blood panel(my words). You will be told to fast the night before to get a fasting blood glucose level. They will also run tests for cholesterol, triglyercides and other kidney and liver function tests. They will also run an A1c test to see what your blood glucose average has been for the last 90 to 120 days. Other problems can make your A1c come back high, but mixed with the other results, especially the fasting blood glucose test will tell them(and you) if you are pre-diabetc or diabetic. Get your blood test results for yourself.

You do use the bathroom a lot more depending on what you drink, that is true. Diabetes does cause that also, it is part of the process that diabetes causes.

When you get the results back post them so we can explain what you don't understand(someone here knows something about everything)
Hi. Thanks for the response. My problem is I didn't explain in great detail my situation. I'm not going to a regular doctor in the morning. My psychiatrist is who I will be seeing and I doubt he would know what all tests to send me for, for something like that. But he has and will send me for thyroid tests which the results are sent to him, but also given to my regular doctor. But we moved and although I have kept the same psych. I don't have a regular doctor yet. I have limited transportation and am on medicaid so I doubt they would be so thorough with testing me anyway. What I need, because I can't have people running me all over the place, is what I should tell my psych as far as writing me a prescription for diabetes testing so that (He will get the results, but I'm pretty sure those are useless for him) I can have them ready to send to a new doctor once I've found one and made an appointment in this area. I can't have someone running me tomorrow to there, then for that thyroid test, then to a doctor who will send me for more blood tests, which means another trip, then back to the doctor. What I'm hoping to do is get the prescriptions for tests I might need from the psych tomorrow (If this is possible), go get all of the work done another day, but all in one day, and then have the results ready or sent to my new doctor so when I go in he/she can help me from there. I hope I'm making sense here. It's just very difficult and I don't think I can get to all of these places I need to go (I don't drive or have a car). Please let me know what you think. If there is/are specific tests I should ask my psych to send me for. He will most likely do it as he has for my thyroid, but I don't know what test(s) to tell him. Thanks.

Blue

Old 02-14-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
(male)

fishdude HB User

You can ask your psych doc to order the lab work, or maybe he has someone there that can take your blood and urine samples as my medical clinic did. They will want to test for fasting glucose levels, lipid profiles, kidney function, liver function, hepatitus, Hemoglobin A1C, etc... Go to the appointment fasting (nothing but black coffee, water 10 hours before test) so you can get whatever tests are needed. I believe any Doctor can order lab work. He/she may want to refer you to an MD or other Doctor to interpret the results as your psych Doc is not in the diabetes business. You really do need a medical Doctor involved in this process, even if it is not who you ultimately select for your primary care physician. Surf the web tonight to help you pick a regular Doctor that accepts medicaid "on the fly." You can always switch to another one later.

Old 02-15-2006, 12:41 AM   #5
(female)

Twisted Blue J HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdude
You can ask your psych doc to order the lab work, or maybe he has someone there that can take your blood and urine samples as my medical clinic did. They will want to test for fasting glucose levels, lipid profiles, kidney function, liver function, hepatitus, Hemoglobin A1C, etc... Go to the appointment fasting (nothing but black coffee, water 10 hours before test) so you can get whatever tests are needed. I believe any Doctor can order lab work. He/she may want to refer you to an MD or other Doctor to interpret the results as your psych Doc is not in the diabetes business. You really do need a medical Doctor involved in this process, even if it is not who you ultimately select for your primary care physician. Surf the web tonight to help you pick a regular Doctor that accepts medicaid "on the fly." You can always switch to another one later.
Okay. No, I don't believe my psych's office does lab work, but I'm going to ask him to order some lab work done. I can get to a hospital or some other place to have the lab work done if need be, which probably will be the case. Though I doubt I'll get that done tomorrow, too. I will find a regular MD who accepts medicaid so that I can have the results sent to them as well and go to them for follow up, not my psych. I know he's not the right one for actually dealing with the results. I may not even be able to get him to order the lab work if he says to go to a regular MD first, but it's just a shot at hoping to make things easier for those I have to rely on for help. Thank you very much for the information and advice! It's very appreciated!

Blue

Old 02-15-2006, 12:30 PM   #6
(male)

Dog House HB User

Another thing you can do that's quick and dirty (ok, quick and clean). You said that type 2 runs in your family...are any of them close enough to you that you could try testing your blood with their glucose meter? It would be a good first step.

If you can do this, you would want to do it first thing in the morning after fasting 8-12 hours. The current ADA standards are a diagnosis of pre-diabetes if the Blood Glucose (BG) level is between 100 and 125 mg/dl, diabetes if two tests (different days) between 126 and 200, or a single test >200. If your level is over 100, I'd make an appointment with a family doctor or primary care physician.

Good Luck!

Closed Thread