It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2006, 07:57 AM   #1
(female)

mrb75 HB User
Glucose Tolerance Test

I'm 28 weeks pregnant. I failed my 1-hour glucose screening (150). I'm scheduled to take the 3-hour GTT. I was instructed to, for two days prior to my test, eat 6 slices of bread or 3 candy bars. Then I'm to fast starting at midnight the night before the test (my test is at 8 am).

I'm confused. Why load up on carbs, including simple carbs like in the candy bars, in the days preceding the test. Won't that just increase my risk of a false positive result?

Also, what are my chances of failing the 3-hour test given my 1-hour results, the fact that I have no family history of diabetes, I did not have GD with my first pregnancy and I am relatively small-framed (was 5'4" and 112 lbs prior to this pregnancy).

Thank you!

Old 02-15-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
(female)

Jon7346 HB User
Re: Glucose Tolerance Test

I took the tolerance test for all 3 pregnancies. The 1st one I failed the 1 hour screening. Did the 3 hour one and passed. They told me I was 1 point away from it. Watch what I eat.
2nd, I automatically did the 3 hr (b/c of past history) and I passed that. But I think I still had high reading once in a while.
3rd, did the 3 hour failed miserably. I had to then monitor my levels and for about 6-8 weeks take insulin injections. I was induced 2 weeks early.

Age as much as weight can have something to do with it! Pregnancy can bring out things health wise.
Try not to worry too much. If you do have it it's good to be monitoring it!
I dont know why they said to load up on junk. I never had to do that.
After being diagnosed with gestational diabetes they sent me to a dietician for a food regimen! They are forgiving though considering you are pregnant!

good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
(male)

Dog House HB User
Re: Glucose Tolerance Test

I'm not a woman and I don't play one on TV...

I believe the point of the GTT is to see how well you metabolize glucose after a certain period of time (i.e. 1 or 3 hours). Therefore, they would want you to consume a certain amount of carb some period of time prior to the test.

A quick check of *****.com found the following:

To prepare for the glucose tolerance diagnostic test:

- Eat a balanced diet that contains at least 150 to 200 grams of carbohydrate per day for 3 days before the test. Fruits, breads, cereals, grains, rice, crackers, and starchy vegetables such as potatoes, beans, and corn are good sources of carbohydrate.
- Do not eat, drink, smoke, or exercise strenuously for at least 8 hours before your first blood sample is taken.

Closed Thread