It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2006, 05:04 AM   #1
(male)

HampshireChappy HB User
Anymore News on Cures? Also, whats the latest testing machines?

Obviously my first question would have probably been answered by being broadcasted by the news but does anyone know the latest news on research for a cure on diabetes? since that news report some time ago about the old man being cured i havent heard anything, I know its gonna be years for a cure to be found for everyone but it wud be nice to keep up to date with things.

Secondly, does anyone know of the latest blood testing machines? is there goin to be any improvement on the machines, i.e. a machine that can read ur blood all the time? this wud be very useful, obviously it wont be easy and probably will never be made, but it wud be useful if there was a machine that u cud just read (like a watch sort of machine that u wear on ur wrist) so u cud read ur blood sugar levels all the time and u wud know exactly what to do to control ur levels. probably sound a bit hopeful here but it wud be a great machine if it was invented!

Old 02-18-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
(male)

wa5ekh HB User
Re: Anymore News on Cures? Also, whats the latest testing machines?

I heard a doctor from the Joslin group once say that stomach bybass(partial?) surgery cures diabetes.....but I'm sure the drug companies and the doctors may dissagree that it's not worth the surgical risk(for them)....on the other hand, if your not on drugs to control diabetic events ......some doctors tell their patients up front that Diet and exercise controls (or reverses diabetic hyperglycemia) diabetes, but may not reverse damage already done by years of undetected diabetes. So stop it now...but be careful how you do this. (right?)

machines! are machines! as good as the operator...usually..(and battery, and strips, and ....??) New stuff...not much soon enough..in my opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
(male)

desertdiabetic HB User

I really was wondering what they were doing at Joslin, but " heard a doctor from the Joslin group once say that stomach bybass(partial?) surgery cures diabetes....." this is so far out in left field. Unless the real reason for insulin restistance comes from the stomach. I guess they meant if you cut back on food drastically you can cure diabetes, tried that, didn't work.

Old 02-18-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

The only way a stomach bypass can "cure" diabetes is if the person was grossly overweight and has Type 2. Then, a stomach bypass can cause enough weight loss to possibly eliminate the insulin resistance.

However, it should be noted that T2 is a varied and progressive illness. In some people, there is already impairment of the beta cells at diagnosis. These people would be unlikely to be "cured", although if the beta cell impairment isn't great, they might be able to get off meds and control with diet and exercise alone after losing a lot of weight.

For others, by the time they go for a bypass, years of insulin resistance has worn out many of the beta cells; these people may be able to reduce their meds, or go from insulin to oral meds, but it's unlikely that they'll be able to control their blood sugar levels just with weight loss, diet and exercise.

I also suspect that wa5ekh's comment wasn't a direct quote. I would be absolutely astonished if a Joslin doctor said that in reference to all overweight diabetics, and I doubt that was the case.

As for monitors, there are some continuous glucose monitors out there, but they're very expensive and not a panacaea. They have to be calibrated frequently, the watch type ones don't work if your skin gets too sweaty...in short, they've still got a ways to go to perfect CGM.

Ruth

Old 02-18-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
(male)

desertdiabetic HB User

I did not think that it was a direct quote either - I was just commenting on the relationship of the stomach and the cells insulin resistance. They don't know the cause of the resistance or exactly how it works. I have also read that there is more than one kind of cell resistance - we don't all have the same problem at the cell level.

I have never heard any doctor or researcher even suggest that there is a 'cure' for type 2. The best we can hope for at the present is to be in excellent control, that is turning it around - but you still have to eat and exercise just the same as you did to get there. It is a lifetime disorder, for now. You will hear many people say that they have turned it around, which is true I am sure. I don't think we will hear anyone say that they can now eat what they want and don't have to exercise and their blood glucose levels are normal all the time, with the little rises that any non-diabetic experience time to time. That would be considered cured, and it has not happened to my knowledge. In the mean time we have to work towards that possibiilty in the future.

Old 02-19-2006, 08:10 AM   #6
(male)

wa5ekh HB User

Direct quote!!...but that also makes it "hearsay" ..to you.....kind of like theories....if you didn't participate in the research and writing the final journal article...you assume their interpretation is fair and accute and UNBIASED ....but HUMANS did the work...(I have been a pert of these teams....we as interested in refunding as the focus of the research.....(so I left this kind of work)....also the studies you read are the ones that publish studies beneficial to their products, right?

I have actually heard many!! doctors and post surgical patients testify to this.....in person...(now to you its hearsay...find a bypass person...ask.....
also there are terrible post surgical risks....and they are real!! I also frequently dine and personally know several bypass folks...it is difficult!! (small frequent meals...fighting compulsion...unless you ahve had it you can't imagine...I can't!..)

....but to quote myself...".some doctors do tell their patients(type 2) up front that Diet and exercise controls (or reverses diabetic hyperglycemia) diabetes, but may not reverse damage already done by years of undetected diabetes." i know you must have heard this....

Where do you guys get the idea that Diabetes-type 2 destroys Beta cells?? Exact reference please!...type 1 is primarily confirmed as beta cell function loss....I'm not even sure that bete cells are lost...biopsy? autopsy? or "fuction"? there is a difference...right? Ref?( where did you hear or read this?)

Old 02-19-2006, 08:35 AM   #7
(male)

desertdiabetic HB User

What you seem to be looking for is not here. Or anywhere. You want only the facts and the supporting documents. You are on a support group site, not a medical research site. You can doubt all the studies, as I do, but saying you want to know the places and the people that did them is not going to happen. You can doubt that there is beta cell loss, doesn't matter to anyone else about the particular beliefs of any of us. About the beta cell death you can start with Bernstein, he is not selling any product that restores them so he probably is not making a profit saying that. All you have to do is read the majority of information on type 2 to read that beta cells are being killed in type 2's.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:54 PM   #8
(male)

HampshireChappy HB User

I read an online report after doing a google search and found a report saying that the developers of the testing machines are in the final lap of producing a working machine that can test the blood sugar level pain free (without having to ***** your finger), a couple of which will be able to read glucose levels constantly, one that does so every half hour all day.

I hope this will be soon, im not bothered about *****ing my fingers coz it doesnt hurt at all, but it wud save a lot of hassle and knowing my sugar levels constantly throughout the day wud be so unbelieveably beneficial. wud make life so much easier for all us folks with the condition.

They say theyre in the final lap, but that cud mean anything, really we need some more concrete news or reports on the situation, but still, its good to hear it cud happen.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Thanks, DD, for putting into words what was in my mind...but I could never have said it so clearly.

Many endocrinologists (including several at the Joslin) have told me that in T2, the insulin resistance puts such a strain on the pancreas that eventually the beta cells just plain wear out. My own endocrinologist told me that it is possible for a T2 to "morph" (his word) more or less into a T1 after many years, although because the cause would not be the same as T1 (no antibody involvement), we'd still be considered T2 but with absolutely NO insulin production...a state I am fast approaching, if in fact I'm not already there!

Chappy, you're right...it would be so much easier with a CGM. Part of the problem has been how to test on a continuous basis (blood, interstitial fluid, etc.), how to minimize problems (inaccuraces with too much sweat in testing interstitial fluid, another site prone to infection if testing blood), and how to make it cost effective. I think it'll happen eventually, it's more a question of how soon? Probably not months, but likely not more than another couple of years.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 02-19-2006 at 09:18 PM.

Closed Thread