It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
(female)

Mamma Lucia HB User
Unhappy Fasting for glucose test, but blood test results say that results are for NON fasting

Hello,

My dad is in his early 60s, and gets his glucose checked regularly because diabetes in our family is rampant. We are practically the only two people who have managed to fight off this terrible disease thus far. Now, some misunderstanding from the part of the lab results may indicate that my dad has fallen victim to this illness.

My dad ALWAYS fasts when having his blood sugar checked. The normal range is from 13 to 130, and he always got 98, 99. Yesterday, blood test results came in, and he got 103, where the normal range is 13 to 130. This time however, there was a note printed from the lab that does the blood work that specificially said that the 103 is normal for patients who are NONFASTING. But what if the patient was FASTING before getting the glucose test, then is 103 still within the normal range?

As you can imaging we are quite concerned that this may signal that my dad has diabetes. Please tell us the normal glucose range for those who are FASTING 10 hours before the test. What other things should we look into? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User
Re: Fasting for glucose test, but blood test results say that results are for NON fasting

I have one non fasting tested in Australia. The normal range is very different from yours. Mine was 6.6 mmo1/L (3.6-7.7). * Note: The Glucose range quoted is for a Random Blood Glucose * Fasting Blood Glucose Range is : 3.0 - 6.0 mmo1/L. I had this test done was because my urine glucose with ++++. Dr said don't know how high it is so he wants me to have a test in the blood. Gastro dr said is very unusual, that high level of glucose in the urine is not a diabetic!

My mum is a diabetic for nearly 40 years. She says that add 10% on the normal fasting range if you are non fasting. Does it make sense?

Pika.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Fasting for glucose test, but blood test results say that results are for NON fasting

Mama Lucia,
One thing I don't understand is the normal range you are quoting..."13 to 130." First of all, a blood sugar as low as 13 might be low enough to cause death! That is way below any normal range.

Second, 130 is high for a fasting blood glucose. Normal is 70-100, with anything from 101-125 being considered as "impaired glucose tolerance" and anything above 126 being considered diabetic.

As for the lab indicating that it was a non-fasting, just ask your Dad if it was fasting or not. Labs make mistakes all the time, especially when someone doing the intake misunderstands or gets distracted by the phone or another person coming in. The blood tests are probably accurate, but the designation "non-fasting" may not be.

If it was, in fact, a fasting bg, then he is creeping into the "impaired glucose tolerance" or "insulin resistance" area (they mean the same thing.) Diet and exercise should handle it for the time being, and maybe for several more years.

Ruth

Old 02-28-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Lucia

My lab always has that same addendum:
*Glucose Reference Range is based on a non-fasting state and the range is listed as 65-139 mg/dL.

However, for a fasted patient, numbers over 126 usually point to diabetes and 110 and 126 to an "impaired fasting glucose"...a pre-diabetic state. Some doctors consider a fasting norm even lower...mine says 99 is tops for a fasted sample.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-28-2006 at 02:26 PM.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:32 AM   #5
(female)

Mamma Lucia HB User
Unhappy Re: Fasting for glucose test, but blood test results say that results are for NON fasting

My dad did fasting blood glucose test. I was referred to an artical on pre-diabetes, which means there is a high chance of getting Type II in the future. Artical says to prevent this, diet and exercise. My dad has been KILLING himself with diet and exercise. He mainly eats fruits, vegetables and fish. As for exercise, he does 1 hour on bicycle and 30 minutes on elliptical, every other day. He exercises so hard that people stop and look to see how this "old man" (as my dad put it) is exercising more vigorously than these youngsters in their 20s. Plus, he looks like he's in his early 50s even though he is in early 60s.

Please tell me what else he should do to prevent Type II without taking any medications. We're scared out of our wits!

Old 03-01-2006, 02:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Mama Lucia,

With a fasting of 103, he probably has quite a bit of time to go before he'll have to worry about medications.

One thing I would suggest is that he buy a blood glucose monitor and test himself after meals on occasion. He doesn't have to do it all the time, but maybe 3 times a week...vary the tests so that he gets one after breakfast, one after lunch, and one after dinner. They should be done at the two hour mark after eating; start timing when he begins eating, not when he finishes.

This will give him a much better picture of how his body is handling food. His post-prandials (after meals) should stay below 160. 160-180 isn't uncommon for someone with impaired glucose tolerance, but if they go above 180 on more than just one or two occasions, he should alert his doctor.

While I realize that for many people having a chronic illness can be scary as all heck, it helps to put things in perspective...the sooner diabetes is diagnosed and treated, the far less likely anyone is to get any complications. And, this isn't cancer or heart disease, thank goodness. People can live long and healthy lives with diabetes. The goal here shouldn't just be to "stay off medications," but rather to keep blood glucose levels under control by whatever means necessary.

Ruth

Closed Thread