It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 06:04 AM   #1
(female)

loralei HB User
borderline elevated blood sugar

I'm 24 years old and fairly a normal weight, but my blood sugar came back a little bit elevated. Now I do know that I ate Starburst candies for lunch the particular day of my physical. That's pretty much all I ate after breakfast.
Could that effect the results of the test?

My mother is a nurse and she immediately told me that I needed to lose 10 pounds. (She has always been a little bit mean about my weight. I'm not super thin- but I've been this same size since i was 14 years old. So I figured this is just how I'm supposed to be.)

My diet and exercise isn't spectacular, but I really don't think I need to lose 10 pounds. One of my friends is really into nutrition, and she says that the candy for lunch was probably the cause of the elevation. I should not worry about it, according to her.

I suppose I should ask the doctor later but I figure I should start dieting right now if it's a problem. My Grandmother has/had pre-diabetes but she is obese and 67 years old. I'm neither.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:34 AM   #2
(male)

Dog House HB User
Re: borderline elevated blood sugar

Do you know what "a little bit elevated" means (did they give you numbers)? I believe what they gave you was a Random Blood Glucose test. The standards for that are certainly higher than for Fasting Blood Glucose test. I don't know what the standards are for the random test, but I'm sure someone here knows.

Since Star Burst is basically flavored sugar, an elevated random test might not be unexpected. If you're concerned, ask your doc about a fasting test.

Changing your "lifestyle" (I hate the word "diet", it implies a temporary change in the way you eat to lose weight) by eating healthier and getting more exercise is never a bad idea. You may lose weight, you may not. If you're happy with your weight, so am I.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2006, 05:51 AM   #3
(female)

loralei HB User

It was just a physical so it was a random test. The number was 124. I'm sure it's nothing compared to the health problems most people have, but I want to prevent future health problems.

Old 03-14-2006, 06:43 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User

From what I have heard a diabetic will have numbers like 200+ after eating. I guess you have learned what not to eat before a test.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:48 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Betty325062000 HB User

From what I have heard a diabetic will have numbers like 200+ after eating.

200+ is a problem you don't want.

The American Diabetes Assoc. Has the most lenient diagnostic levels that I am aware of.

Fasting glucose is < 100 100-126 is prediabetes

2 hours after meal 140> according to some or >160 is FULL diabetes

What is pre-diabetes?
In pre-diabetes, blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough to be characterized as diabetes. However, many people with pre-diabetes develop type 2 diabetes within 10 years. Pre-diabetes also increases the risk of heart disease and stroke. With modest weight loss and moderate physical activity, people with pre-diabetes can delay or prevent type 2 diabetes.

If you have 2 random test that are in the guidelines that can be used as a diagnostic. 2 random 160 are full diabetes.

These numbers are not totally agreed on by all but there is little differences. There is test other than just the glucose test than can determine your situation.

I would not ignore this test but do try to get another random test. If this test was shortly after eating you are probably in the normal range. Presdiabetes is treated like diabetes in that you do what is necessary to keep the glucose down. Frequently no medications are needed but rather control is gained through diet and exercise. If you successfully handle it that way there is a good chance that you will not become diabetic.
I BIG problem that you run into is doctors that donít know what they are doing.

Let this be a wake up call.
Betty

Old 03-14-2006, 08:27 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Betty325062000 HB User

The American Diabetes Assoc. just posted their new guidlines. They can be found at [url]http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/vol29/suppl_1/[/url]
Betty

Closed Thread