It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
(male)

raf HB User
Feeling effects of high blood sugar

When your blood sugar goes too high, how long will the effects stay with you? Fatigue? Does fatigue continue? Headache? Et cetera? Putting aside the obvious long term problems, what are the short term?

Old 03-20-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: Feeling effects of high blood sugar

For me, it totally depends on how the blood sugar went. A moderate high in the 200's is something I usually don't feel at all. In the 300's I feel it and the effects last usually 2-3 hours. Anything over 500 can make me feel bad for 6-12 hours. It totally depends on the person and the blood sugar level. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2006, 01:59 PM   #3
(male)

ZV7 HB User

When my blood sugar goes over 300 I have to frequently urinate, about every 10 to 15 minutes, and also I feel bloated. My vision can become impaired; blurred, and I might even feel faint. Hyperglycemia can also cause dehydration. I have noticed that the pain in my feet and lower legs increases with high blood sugar levels, and all of these symptoms are usually relieved when my blood sugar is normalized.

I have been a type 2 for about 10 years; had a sudden onset of adult diabetes right before my 50th birthday. I was getting up every 10 to 15 minutes to go to the bathroom, all night long, and allot of the other symptoms described above. On my way to work I stopped at a hospital emergency room and told them that I didnít feel good. They ran some tests on me and told me that my blood sugar level was 900. I was admitted to the hospital. Since then my blood sugar has seldom gone over 400. There has been a few times where I have been 300 or better, but my most recent A1c was 6.8, and Iím trying to bring it down even lower. In my opinion some of the most damaging effects of short term high blood sugar levels are that they add to the damaging long term effects, but I do agree that it is a very individual thing. When I first was diagnosed with diabetes the doctor told me that I was very fortunate because some people die, go into a diabetic coma, or experience severe diabetic ketoacidosis, with a blood sugar level of 700; so my blood sugar being at 900 was very critical.

Last edited by ZV7; 03-23-2006 at 02:03 PM.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:14 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

dicktracy HB User

he is full of b.s. 900 and he would be dead,thats like saying i drained all my blood ,waited awhile then put it back in..why they let postings like this go out,is amazing

Old 03-27-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Sorry DickTracy but it is quite possible to have a blood sugar that high. If this person had undiagnosed diabetes for a while it would even be possible to be conscious and walking around. When I was about 15 (and not taking good care of myself) I was clocked at 1017. You would certainly be dead if it stayed that high, but it is possible to have a sugar that high and be alive.

Cora

Old 03-28-2006, 07:47 PM   #6
(male)

Diabetic1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicktracy
he is full of b.s. 900 and he would be dead,thats like saying i drained all my blood ,waited awhile then put it back in..why they let postings like this go out,is amazing
When I was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes my blood sugar was 930! It took 3 days in the hospital to get my blood sugar under 300!

Old 03-29-2006, 11:49 AM   #7
(male)

raf HB User

So with respect to a "high" of 200, are fatigue and headaches common side effects? And can they last to the next day even if your level is down?

Old 03-29-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
(male)

Diabetic1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by raf
So with respect to a "high" of 200, are fatigue and headaches common side effects? And can they last to the next day even if your level is down?
Yes;unless your blood sugar is under 130 you will have these problems,along with excessive urination.

Old 04-01-2006, 05:54 AM   #9
(female)

kowalski HB User

Can i just ask what a blood sugar of 900 would be in european terms? Is that over 30??

Old 04-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #10
(female)

shinetype2 HB User

Quote:
Hi I'v been a diabetic for a year know but was told I most likely walked around with high sugar for years because they were surprised that I was still walking when the took my level I was at 541 After a 2hr gtt I passed out after drinking the glucose and The nurse thought I was taking a nap. If I was at 541 after 2hrs I can imagen how high I was right after it hit my blood. I left the lab and went home only to get a phone call telling me to get to emerg. When your levels run high for a long time you'd be surprised what the body can handle. My fasting blood sugar before the gtt was 324 I had no idea that there was anyting wrong.

Old 04-01-2006, 07:28 PM   #11
(female)

shinetype2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowalski
Can i just ask what a blood sugar of 900 would be in european terms? Is that over 30??
The answer is 50

Old 04-21-2006, 03:25 PM   #12
(female)

GinnyK HB User

Quote:
My son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when he was six. I took him to a doctor to see what was wrong as he was having all sorts of problems. His initial blood test revealed that his blood sugar was over 1000. It does happen. You are misinformed.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:18 PM   #13

mama8 HB User

It really greatly depends on your own body, too. My bg is pretty well under control and yes, when I go over 200 I "feel" it. I will get crabby and irritable, have eye problems, etc, and the effect will last for a couple of days.

If you can picture a graph with the line going much higher than usual, then think of the line coming down lower than normal. Mine "swings" up and down like that for a while until it normalizes, so it is usually the downswing that makes me feel bad and not necessarily the high number. That also explains why, when I check it, the numbers are sometimes "normal' (they are in the process of coming down). If I check it every few minutes I can see what is really going on, though.

Blessings
ramona

Old 06-09-2006, 05:36 AM   #14
(female)

teddyted HB User
Smile Re: Feeling effects of high blood sugar

Dick Tracy,
It is very possible to have blood sugar that high.
My brother drove himself to VA hospital about 8-10 miles from his home as he was not feeling well. He was over 900 when he got there. He was put in the hospital of course. He did not know that he was diabetic.
I was diagnosed just about a year before him, we were the first in our family to be diagnosed with it, as far as we could find out from older relatives.
I tell you once you are diagnosed your whole life goes out of control......
Good Luck !

Old 06-09-2006, 06:57 AM   #15
(female)

AFH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyted
Dick Tracy,
I tell you once you are diagnosed your whole life goes out of control......
Good Luck !
Once you are diagnosed is when 'YOU" gain "CONTROL" of your life.

I for one have gain total control over my life and health since being diagnosed. I haven't felt this great in many years! Now I know what my illness is and how to combate it.

Closed Thread