It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2006, 08:16 PM   #1
(female)

worrygirl HB User
Children and Blood Sugar Numbers

Sorry to ask, but can't seem to find anything on the net. My son is 7 years old and a sugar junkie. I've tried everything to get him to eat better. My husband believes you should eat what you want. Its hard fighting a losing battle. However, I am 31 weeks pregnant and just diagnosed with Gest Diabetes and My son wanted his level checked and I did so. His reading was 133 and he hadn't ate anything other than a small snack of fruit gushers over an hour before the reading. Is this number something to be concerned with?

Thanks for any input!

Old 03-21-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
(male)

hey_all HB User
Re: Children and Blood Sugar Numbers

if this reading is 1 hour after a meal, I think he is fine. You shouldn't be concerned. However, I'm not a doctor, only his ped. can answer you.

My advice is to test him early in the morning, i.e. fasting test. And I expect a normal reading because of the 130 reading you got.

Generally, random tests (like the one you have done) can't indicate or diagnos the disease. Unless it's 200+, it has no meaning. Only fasting tests are indicative of the disease.

So you better test him while he is fasting. Anything under 100 is normal, 100-126 suggest pre-diabetes. Any reading higher than 126 can diagnos diabetes, but it has to be confirmed by another test.

Best wishes to your son,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

VAUXHALL OMEGA HB User

I would say that cause he is a sugar junky, you probably tested him after eating lots of sweets! I would only be concerned if his sugar was not in the normal sugar levels in the morning! Everytime a normal person eats food, there sugar level rises, after some time when their natural insulin kicks in the level will fall! Obviously if your son had just eaten a lot of sweets, then his sugar level could well be a bit high.

Like I said, check in the morning, and hopefully level will be fine.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

That number (133) an hour after eating sugary food isn't a problem. What is a problem, however, is the fact that with you having gestational diabetes, you are at an increased risk for developing Type 2 diabetes, which means that your son is also at increased risk as he gets older. Good eating habits developed now will help him prevent that potential risk as he ages. And since more and more kids are being diagnosed with T2 due to our country's awful eating habits and lack of exercise, your husband should be a whole heck of a lot more concerned about what your son is eating. He doesn't need to be on a severely restricted diet, but neither should he be overindulging in sweets and junk food.

Ruth

Closed Thread