It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
(female)

berniluvspat HB User
Confused about symptoms

Hi all
I have a question to ask. Let me give you a little history. My mom died of diabetic complications. I am 52 year old female. Lots of medical history. I have a history of HBPfor about 2 years. My fasting blood test for sugar has come back at about 116, 105 103 the past few months that I have been tested. Lately, I have been feeling light headed, dizzy, my blood pressure has dropped to 60/50, numbness in my toes, hands and arms. I have had this horrible pain in my right leg coming from my hip down and sometimes causes me to not be able to walk and takes my breath away. I went to my gp today, and he says I must have some kind of bug that is causing this. He didn't even listen to what I had to say. He did ask if I am under any stress. I asked my husband if when he goes to the dr do they ask him if he is under any stress?? He has never been asked that question. Is it because I am female, menopausal, is it all in my head etc?? Any ideas?
Thanks for listening
Berni

Old 03-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
(male)

ZV7 HB User
Re: Confused about symptoms

The blood sugar levels that you listed are within normal range, but what I would suggest is a second opinion, preferably with an endocrinologist or internist, who can test the insulin output of your pancreas; which is a fasting blood test called ďC-Peptide testĒ and it measures differently than the blood sugar tests that you have described. Insulin output is a hallmark to determine diabetes. Diabetes is when your body is not producing enough insulin or has become insulin resistant. There are conclusive blood tests for both of these.

The symptoms which you have listed are indicative of diabetes but they may be something else as well. It surprises me that your gp was not concerned about your dropping BP; but I donít want to alarm you, and I really canít say whether your gp is sexist or negligent, or something else. If you are concerned about your condition seek a second opinion, and ask for the blood test which IĎve mentioned.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
(female)

berniluvspat HB User

I appreciate your input. I don't know what is up. I have a HMO, and my hubby and kids say to complain and change drs. I have complained and tried to get second opinions in the past and to no avail. It is very frustating for me. Right now, my right foot, the toes have been numb all morning. It is just a wierd feeling and for him not to acknowledge this AGH!!
Thanks again
Berni

Old 03-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
(male)

ZV7 HB User

Iím just making a suggestion here: It might be helpful to go to a hospital emergency room and complain about the pain in your legs, your feet, dizziness, etc. Wait until your docís office has closed for the day, and the next day tell the HMO it was an emergency. My HMO will pay other providers when it is an emergency and my primary physician is not available; this would be sort of a back door way of getting a second opinion. The hospital emergency room will definitely tell you if you are a diabetic, and it might also open up a discussion with your primary HMO doc after he learns you went to an emergency room for you condition.

There is no reason why you should just suffer because your doctor doesnít acknowledge your leg pain, etc. So my suggestion is to push the issue by going after hours to an ER; it just might also draw more attention to the seriousness of your condition. Of course if the HMO wanted to be a butt-hole they might cancel your insurance or not pay for the ER visit, but youíre in pain, and suffering and doing nothing is not an option. Again, itsí just a suggestion.

Good Luck!

Old 03-28-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
(female)

berniluvspat HB User

I have thought of doing that. On some of my previous medical history, I had heart palpations for about 20 some odd years. My hmo dr put it to stress, coke, coffee, overweight, menopausal etc. Last year, I had a really bad episode and my husband called 911. I went to our local hospital here via ambulance and was told to get in to see a heart specialst with my HMO. I called the next day, got a appt to see my family dr who has to refer me. He thought it was no biggee and asked what I would like to do? Go on meds or see a cardiologst. I told him cardiologist. Between the time I was to see them I had another attack and was rushed again to our local hospital. The er dr was upset that our HMO hadn't done anything in a 6 week time period. They actually called our HMO and asked why nothing had been done! They kinda shamed them into doing this. 2 weeks later I had a heart ablation. I don't want to be a cry baby about some stuff, but I don't think what is happening to me is normal. Everybody has always said I was the healthly lucky somebody and now it is so awful. Again, I feel it is because I am a menopausal middleage woman.
Thanks again for your input.
Berni

Closed Thread