It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2002, 06:31 AM   #1

jeevan HB User
Post Orange juice

Is it advisable to take fresh orange juice in the breakfast for a diabetic?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2002, 08:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
No. It is too high in sugar.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2002, 02:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by arkie6:
No. It is too high in sugar.
Eating an orange or apple is much better. You get more nutrients and bulk and less sugar.

Old 03-03-2002, 08:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by orion:
Eating an orange or apple is much better. You get more nutrients and bulk and less sugar.
Agreed. But a diabetic would be much better off by having neither, especially if they have elevated triglycerides. Fructose can have a significant impact on triglyceride levels. High triglyceride levels are a much better indicator of heart disease risk than high cholesterol. And diabetics are at much greater risk of heart disease than the general population. Fruit and all forms of easily digested carbohydrates are best avoided if you have problems with bloodsugar control.

In the book "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution", diabetes researcher and Type I diabetic Dr. Richard K. Bernstein recommends against the consumption of fruit for Type I and Type II diabetics.

Alan

Old 03-05-2002, 07:16 PM   #5

patti rosenow HB User
If you can fit it into your diet plan and don't plan on having alot of carbs. in the rest of your breakfast then there is no reason not to. Never heard of the triglyds. thing but would assume that that would be another factor. The others are correct that for the amount of carbs. per serving, you'll feel more satisfied w/ a small orange or tangerine(tangerines actually usually come small enought that you can eat two for 17grams of carb. the o.j. is 15grams for 4oz. of juice)and they take longer to eat so you aren't slamming them down. Make sure to combined it w/ a protien of some kind, that way it has a better chance of not leaving you w/ a LOW sugar later on as the juice is absorbed and digested so quickly, the protein much slower and sustains the sugar level for a longer period of time. (I'm a type II, in tight control, more than 100lbs. overweight but losing, my cholesterol is in the EXCELLENT category and work closely w/ my doc. and nurse educator and have discussed this topic at length, it was my biggest complaint at the time of diagnosis, I LOVE juice!)

------------------
patti
type II diabetes
pcos
ADHD
mom of two
married 10yrs
unwilling to give up on myself
ADHD
mom of two
married 10yrs
unwilling to give up on myself