It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2002, 10:55 AM   #1

deedee2074 HB User
Post Possible High Sugar Reaction?

Hi everyone, need some advice. I feel bad today. I am usually running low sugar-90 and below and get alot of hypoglycemia if I don't eat every few hours. I have gotten high blood sugar a few times, and I am under a doctors care and diet. Today I feel like I have high sugar-I feel like I'm coming down with something basically. I checked my sugar and its 131-which is normal but I never run over 90/100. I've been urinating every half hour and I'm thirsty beyond belief. Could this be a high sugar reaction for me considering I never run over 100? I feel like crap to put it bluntly. I felt the same way only more intensely when my sugar was 200. Should I go to the doctor or should I just wait and see what happens? Should I eat? Its about lunchtime now. I know I'm not supposed to, but I did have a few cookies this morning because there was nothing else available and I thought I should eat something rather than nothing. Argh! Help guys.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2002, 12:21 PM   #2

WallSal55 HB User
Talking

I am in IL, but we have had a virus and cold circulating here. My son went through whole 30 day supply of amoxicillin. Next doctor apt., put him
on this new antibiotic of zithromax. My daughter also
had this same bug and treatment. Lately, I have lost
my appetite, haven't cared about anything, and started
slipping off my diet. Couldn't figure out why. Well,
yesterday woke up with the scratchy throat, and sinus/allergy problems my kids had. I was coming down
with something, and did not know it. (I want to cheat
so bad and eat convenient stuff!) All I can say, is
look for signs of illness, test before and/or after
your meal. Also, maybe this next meal, sit down to
a nice serving of vegetables served with a little parsley, seasoning to go with the main stuff. Sit down
and enjoy, not rush through--20 minutes minimum. If your sugar is way too high 2 hrs. after eating, a call
to the doc may help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2002, 12:28 PM   #3

WallSal55 HB User
Arrow

MMmmm. Homemade chicken broth or soup sounds soo good!
(After 25 years of marriage and motherhood, where is
everybody? Gone for the day! They could be my
cooks!) Oh Well! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/cool.gif

Old 05-24-2002, 12:30 PM   #4

WallSal55 HB User
Talking

I am in IL, but we have had a virus and cold circulating here. My son went through whole 30 day supply of amoxicillin. Next doctor apt., put him
on this new antibiotic of zithromax. My daughter also
had this same bug and treatment. Lately, I have lost
my appetite, haven't cared about anything, and started
slipping off my diet. Couldn't figure out why. Well,
yesterday woke up with the scratchy throat, and sinus/allergy problems my kids had. I was coming down
with something, and did not know it. (I want to cheat
so bad and eat convenient stuff!) All I can say, is
look for signs of illness, test before and/or after
your meal. Also, maybe this next meal, sit down to
a nice serving of vegetables served with a little parsley, seasoning to go with the main stuff. Sit down
and enjoy, not rush through--20 minutes minimum. If your sugar is way too high 2 hrs. after eating, a call
to the doc may help.

Old 05-24-2002, 01:32 PM   #5

deedee2074 HB User
Thumbs up

That chicken soup sure sounds good! I am feeling much better now by the way. Whatever it is it passed and my sugar is back down at 85. That was wierd. Phew! Hope you feel better. Hang in there!

Old 05-24-2002, 10:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by deedee2074:
...I checked my sugar and its 131-which is normal but I never run over 90/100.
131 is not a normal bloodsugar reading unless you had just eaten something high in carbohydrate (like cookies for instance). How long had it been since you had eaten when you measured your bloodsugar? What time of the day was it?

The current clinical definition of diabetes is a fasting bloodsugar level of greater than 125 mg/dl (it used to be 140 mg/dl). A fasting level of greater than 110 mg/dl qualifies as impaired glucose tolerance and is a strong indicator of insulin resistance. Normal bloodsugar levels are 70-100 mg/dl.

Alan

Old 05-27-2002, 05:44 PM   #7

deedee2074 HB User
Hi Alan,

That is enlightening information, since I hadn't really considered it. It was about 12:45 PM when I had the 131 reading and I probably ate some puffed rice snacks at 10:00AM. I had the cookies around 7:30AM that morning. I didn't eat anything else because I was really busy that day. Well, I did end up getting a head cold 2 days later, and I feel sooooo weak. Maybe I was coming down with something and my blood sugar got wacky as a result.

Old 05-27-2002, 11:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Quote:
..I probably ate some puffed rice snacks ...
Those things will make your bloodsugar shoot up - not a good food choice if you have problems with your insulin and sugar metabolism.

Alan

Old 05-28-2002, 07:52 AM   #9

deedee2074 HB User
Red face

Believe it or not, my dietician said they were OK. There is 1 gram of carbohydrates, 0 fat, 0 sugars per serving and 20 calories, so I thought they were the perfect snack. That is why I eat them. I never noticed that they made my sugar shoot up. As a matter of fact, I've eaten them when I had low blood sugar and they barely increased my sugar level. I don't know. Have you ever tried them? Any other diabetics who eat these things or who don't eat them? I'm really curious now Alan. Well, maybe I will lay off of them and see what happens.

Old 05-28-2002, 01:04 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Quote:
Believe it or not, my dietician said they were OK. There is 1 gram of carbohydrates, 0 fat, 0 sugars per serving and 20 calories, so I thought they were the perfect snack. That is why I eat them. I never noticed that they made my sugar shoot up. As a matter of fact, I've eaten them when I had low blood sugar and they barely increased my sugar level. I don't know. Have you ever tried them? Any other diabetics who eat these things or who don't eat them? I'm really curious now Alan. Well, maybe I will lay off of them and see what happens.
Those things must be mostly air because rice is almost 100% carbohydrate. How much does one individual serving weigh? 1 or 2 grams? There are 28 grams in one ounce, so those things would have to weigh less than 0.1 ounce if there is only 1 gram of carbohydrate in them.

I hadn't looked at the carb count on any particular puffed rice snacks, but puffed rice is just about at the top of the glycemic index - higher than sugar or white bread given the same number of grams - which measures how your bloodsugar reacts to a particular food.

If there is only 1 gram of carbohydrate in those things, then you shouldn't expect more than about a 5 point rise in your bloodsugar by eating one.

Alan

Old 05-28-2002, 04:12 PM   #11

deedee2074 HB User
They weigh 11 grams per serving. You can get them in any health food store. I went to WholeFoods today and checked out the different brands. Some have more carbs/sugars than others. Varies by brand and flavor. I get the Asian one, which is really tasty.

Old 05-29-2002, 12:03 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Quote:
They weigh 11 grams per serving. You can get them in any health food store. I went to WholeFoods today and checked out the different brands. Some have more carbs/sugars than others. Varies by brand and flavor. I get the Asian one, which is really tasty.
I would be suspicious of that nutrition label if one serving of that puffed rice snack contains 11 grams total weight yet only claims 1 gram of carbohydrate. If it contains 0 grams of fat and 0 grams of protein, then what are the other 10 grams of material? Water? Not likely with a crispy puffed rice snack. Nutrition labels have been incorrect before and I would suspect this one should state 10 or 11 grams of carbohyhdrate instead of 1. Didn't you also state it was 20 calories per serving? 1 gram of carbohydrate is only 4 calories, so this doesn't add up either. The sum of all of the individual macronutrient calories should approximately equal the total calorie count (carbs = 4 cal/gm, protein = 4 cal/gm, fat = 9 cal/gm).

Alan

Old 05-31-2002, 03:49 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Here is a good crunchy snack for someone watching their bloodsugar and insulin levels: pork rinds

The bag I have here says one serving is 1/2 ounce (14 grams) and 80 calories and contains 5 grams of fat, 9 grams of protein, and 0 grams of carbohydrate. Note that the sum of the individual macronutrients equals the total weight in one serving (5g + 9g + 0g = 14g) and the calorie count of the individual macronutrients approximately equals the total calories for one serving (5g x 9 cal/g + 9g x 4 cal/g = 81 cal).

These should have minimal effect on bloodsugar and insulin levels since they contain no carbohydrates and they provide 9 grams of complete proteins and the fats they contain are all natural - 1.5 grams saturated, 2.5 grams monounsaturated, 1.0 grams polyunsaturated.

Alan

Old 06-03-2002, 06:29 PM   #14

deedee2074 HB User
by the way, it ended up that i did have a fever. must have caught the bug that was going around. i think the flu knocked me off.

Closed Thread