It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2002, 12:06 PM   #1
Inactive

Aster HB User
Unhappy Do Type 2's Sleep All the Time??

My H, a type II, was diagnosed last year. He's retired and takes 3 or 4 "naps" a day. It's almost like I'm living alone as these naps last from 30 min to an hour each.
Does anyone else have a spouse sleeping his life away?
He ALWAYS sleeps after a meal, a trip into town or just any excuse to go to bed.

------------------
Aster

Old 08-11-2002, 05:15 PM   #2
Inactive

pixie2dw HB User
I'm a type 2 diabetic,dx 3 years a go. And my energy level is REALLY LOW! I need to plan trips or activities for short trips. Walking exhaust me somedays!! I have started taking Wal-Mart vitamins for 50yr olds,and I'm doing abit better. But now I'm only sleeping about 5 hours a night!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2002, 06:17 PM   #3
Inactive

Aster HB User
pixie, I really appreciate your response. Because it's scary when your spouse sleeps so much. When he's up he acts nicely rested. But after he eats he starts yawning. I have no way of knowing how well he sleeps at night; he's a little cagey about that. What do you do ? Toss and turn? He says he is often "up for an hour on the computer." NO way I could focus during those hours.
I'd take a pill but he only takes Glipizide; that's the extent of his treatment. And pixie, the amount of fluids he drinks is incredible. Not water. Four or five cans of Coke (sugar), a quart of apple juice (sugar),
and yesterday he bought a GALLON of "reduced fat" chocolate milk and it's almost gone. We have MUCH more trash than the neighbors. Do you have unquenchable thirst too? Best Wishes,

------------------
Aster

Old 08-11-2002, 07:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Hi Aster -
The reason your husband is so tired is because his blood sugars are probably constantly high. That is also probably why he is so thirsty. It sounds like he's got himself into a bad cycle...he's thirsty, so he drinks something. Unfortunately, what he's drinking is loaded with sugar (or carbohydrates...even milk cannot be taken in unlimited quantities by a diabetic)...then, because he ingested so much sugar, his blood glucose goes even higher, and he's even thirstier!

He needs to stop the cycle by changing what he drinks. If he can't tolerate diet sodas, then he should be drinking water. Juice, regular soda, unlimited milk are absolutely contraindicated for a diabetic!

As soon as he gets his blood sugars down, he will start feeling a heck of a lot better, will have more energy, and will not need to nap much, if at all.

The other concern is that as long as his blood sugars run high, he is at risk for all kinds of diabetic complications such as eye problems and possible blindness, kidney failure, heart failure, etc. The good news is that control blood sugars and keeping them closer to normal absolutely minimizes the possibility of complications.

How often is he testing his blood glucose? What else is he doing to take care of his diabetes?

Probably the best thing to do would be to get him into either a diabetic education program or, at the least, a consult with a registered dietician who works with diabetics.

Ruth

Old 08-11-2002, 08:00 PM   #5

jim5554 HB User
What you're describing is a type II diabetic with glucose levels that are out of control! The more sweet drinks he has, the thirstier he will get. He will also spend a lot of time in the john(thus losing a lot of sleep)getting rid of those fluids. His vision, if it hasn't done so already,will become blurry and his cholesterol and triglyceride levels will go through the roof. You said he was diagnosed, hasn't he done anything about it? If your Doctor didn't give him a plan of action you need a new doctor. He needs to be checking his glucose levels daily. He also needs to change his diet and possibly take medication. Once he gets his glucose under control the thirst and the need to take naps will go away. I know because the syptoms you gave are what got me to see my doctor and get tested. Once treatment began, it only took a few days for the symtoms to subside. I now feel terrific and don't feel a need to take naps anymore.

Old 08-12-2002, 09:42 AM   #6

jazzyjudy HB User
Another possibility is that he has a sleep disorder. Does he "stop breathing" at night? If regulating his fluid intake doesn't take care of the problem he may want to request a sleep study be done to rule out sleep apena.

Old 08-12-2002, 05:29 PM   #7
Inactive

Aster HB User
thanks so much, all. He does take medication daily.
He claims he was only drinking that much because he played 18 holes of golf in 92 degrees. In 2 days he has his lst appt with an endocrinologist. If this doctor thinks my H will eat salads, veggies and fruits he'll be disappointed. My H eats steak, spaghetti, chinese food and mexican food. NEVER has he eaten a salad for a meal. He WAS on diet coke for 25 years but I found out the sweetener causes cancer so I bought him regular coke and that was the end of diet soda. I've NEVER seen him drink a glass of water, plain. He does do that, a little, on the golf course. Using a cart, of course.
What about itchy skin? Is that a symptom? He scratches his head, chest and nose until I have to leave the room sometimes it makes me so nervous.

------------------
Aster

Old 08-20-2002, 12:42 PM   #8

Pearl HB User
I'm very newly diagnosed, but i can tell you my thrist was excessive and yes my energy levels which are normally extremely high was very low. The night before I was diagnosed i bottomed out i was up every hour going to the bathroom and drinking a 24 ounce bottle water each trip to the b/r. my levels were crazy at 510 now its in the 200's still high but getting better. when i found out i stopped all sugar that day. i'm a vegeterian so my diet wasn't that bad to start but it did consist of sugar. the sweetner from diet coke causing cancer is a lot less than what he's dealing with. tell his doctor to be very blunt with him mine was and it worked for me. Telling me that I may slip into a comma and never come out of it just kinda made me think sugar ain't all that (smile) good luck

Old 08-20-2002, 12:47 PM   #9

Pearl HB User
oh i'm sorry, i forgot you asked about itching. yes i itch a lot mostly my legs though, i read alot about symthoms and that is one of them.

Old 08-21-2002, 06:56 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Aster -
First, let me answer the easiest question...yes, people with diabetes often have very itchy, dry skin. Using a good skin hydrating lotion helps. I use Diabetiderm (available through CVS), and many people use Eucerin lotion. Both are good.

As far as cancer from artificial sweeteners: the studies that were done were on mice, and they gave them the equivalent of pounds and pounds of the stuff on a daily basis. Humans never use that much, even if you drink 10 diet cokes a day you wouldn't get more than a few ounces of the stuff, and we're much bigger and better able to metabolize that amount. While you worry about the very slight chance of getting cancer from saccharin or aspartame, your husband is definitely going to have serious damage to his body from high blood sugars! And not in the distant future, but soon if he doesn't get them under control. So, go back to diet coke, please.

Your husband can eat pretty much any type of food he wants, as long as he controls the quantity. Although protein makes the blood sugar go up over a period of hours, it's carbohydrates that need to be controlled the most. So, if your husband eats pasta, he needs to cut down on his portions. Steak should be lean, because diabetics are prone to heart disease, but he can still eat steak. He can eat Mexican food, but should be careful about how many carbs he's getting...for example, if he's getting a combo plate, he should only get maybe one or two things, and not eat the rice. A good dietician will work with him to develop a meal using the foods he likes. My dietician says nothing is off limits, just control the portions. She also has done a lot of comparisons of the so-called "lite" foods versus the regular, and most of the diet foods have just as many carbs as the regular, so she says use the regular (they taste better and cost less), and watch your portion control.

It's going to be a learning experience, but it's not impossible to manage diabetes without totally changing what you eat...just when and how much.

Old 08-23-2002, 08:45 AM   #11
Inactive

Aster HB User
This is all so impossible. Not eat the rice? He always orders "double rice, no beans." I will , however, insist on diet Coke.
Now the bad part: just found out today his tryglycerides are 437 and his hemoglobin is over 8%.
Supposed to be 6% so they want a 24 hr urine test
(creatine clearance test). This man tinkles so often it's incredible. HIs prostate is a little enlarged, not too bad, dr. said. H does not like these test charges and avoids drs. much as he can. But the creatine is to determine KIDNEY DAMAGE? I thought you'd seem SICK if you had that??? He seems perfectly well to me except for the naps and thirst. Help!!!!!!

------------------
Aster

Old 08-23-2002, 08:49 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aster -
They're probably just checking his kidney function to be on the safe side. Yes, it's true that diabetics (especially those who don't control their blood sugars) are much more prone to kidney disease than the rest of the population, but it usually happens over a period of time. However, if your husband shows any damage at all to his kidneys, they will probably put him on an ACE inhibitor, which is a type of blood pressure medication that, as a side effect, helps protect the kidneys from further damage. By the way, it's not uncommon to have no symptoms if kidney damage is minor.

I can only imagine how frightening all this is for you and for your husband. But the bottom line is that he is the only one who can control his blood sugar. If he's unwilling to make any changes at all, even modest ones, he can look forward to a future of heart disease, skin infections, possible kidney failure, possible amputations, eye problems and possible blindness, etc. The good news is that these complications CAN BE PREVENTED! A study was done a few years back called the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial (DCCT for short). It compared the rates of complications in people who practiced very tight control versus people who weren't well controlled. The results were dramatic: those with tight control had FAR FEWER complications than those with poor control. I don't remember the exact numbers, but all types of complications were reduced by at least 50% and some by 85% or more! This means it truly is worth it to manage diabetes. And people who improved their control even slightly had fewer complications. Also, since complications happen over time, and not overnight, making small changes is a good way to start.

But again, bottom line is that it is your husband, and not you, who must control his diabetes. If he's in total denial or unwilling to make changes, you may want to speak to his endocrinologist about a) getting him into a diabetes education program and b) getting him some counseling. It wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't somewhat depressed by the diagnosis.

Keep us posted, and best of luck to you both.

Ruth

[This message has been edited by SamQKitty (edited 08-23-2002).]

Old 08-24-2002, 09:00 AM   #13
Inactive

Aster HB User
Unhappy

I'm very grateful for all the intensive information you guys are sending me. Thank you.
His Hemoglobin A1C is 8.2%; she said they want it
to be 7%. In a search engine if you put "hemoglobin
8%" many websites will come up saying "any number over 8 means your meds need adjusting." Not once does it say
"over 8 means you're in deep trouble." At any rate, I have made him a doctor's appt for early September for a 2nd opinion. I truly believe that, as with mammograms,
human beings make "reading" errors and that the true reading could be 8 or it could be 9 and we need to find out. He may have to take a creatine clearance test; he will most likely need new meds to reduce that awful trigyceride of 437. His cholesterol was "fine" she reported. So we'll have to wait until September. In the meantime, I am buying him a case of diet Coke.

------------------
Aster

Old 08-27-2002, 09:39 AM   #14
Inactive

Lady^ HB User
Cutting out cokes is not going to cure your husband. As the others have stated, he needs to pretty much give his diet a complete overhaul. He may not like salads but he's better learn to eat them. I don't like them either, or any veges really, but I eat them anyhow cause I want to save my vision and my kidneys and my appendeges. I don't mean to sound harsh but this is a harsh disease and it is a killer.

Does your husband have a glucose monitor? If not then he needs one. It's a great tool in helping control diabetes and it will give you both an idea of what raises his blood sugar and what doesn't.

Really, it's all about choices. No one cuts out carbs altogether. My weakness is coffee with that sugary flavored creamer. I just can't give it up so I have a cup each morning but then make sure I have less carbs for breakfast and lunch. If I'm at a party or something and really want a piece of cake then I have one, but I eliminate some carbs somewhere else. It's really not that hard.

Old 08-27-2002, 10:00 AM   #15
Inactive

Aster HB User
Lady, did you think I thought cutting out Cokes is a cure???? Really??? No, this is a bad situation.
He is Not going to change his diet one single bit.
This is similar to being married to a heavy smoker.
THEY have to change; you can't make them. I DO appreciate your writing, Lady and will post his
test results when we get them. (cholesterol 107,
hemoglobin A1C 8.2% so far).

------------------
Aster

Closed Thread