It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2003, 11:17 AM   #1

jennasmom HB User
Post Low Blood Sugar after a Big Dinner???

I am newly diagnosed type 2, so far controlling it with diet/exercise. blood sugars are running right at the high end of my target area now. I ate at a steak restaurant last night, had 4 oz filet mignon, one cup mashed potatoes, large green salad with dressing, and two diet cokes, and two cups of coffee with splenda/creamer. I expected my blood sugar to be up a little, but at two hours after eating, I had a headache and my level was 91 (my target is 140-160). I never have had a level that low, and wonder why it would have dropped that low after eating a large meal. I then drank a glass of milk, and had 5 nilla wafers. 30 mins. later it was up to 111. I felt some better, still headachey. Anyone have any suggestions on why my BSL would have dropped that low after a large meal?
Thanks

Old 01-26-2003, 03:53 PM   #2

staceys HB User
i am not sure what kinda of diet you are on. but it sounds like you did not have enough carbs. also what were your activities befor and after dinner? that can have a affect on blood sugar.
hope this helps.
stacey s

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2003, 07:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by jennasmom:
I am newly diagnosed type 2, so far controlling it with diet/exercise. blood sugars are running right at the high end of my target area now. I ate at a steak restaurant last night, had 4 oz filet mignon, one cup mashed potatoes, large green salad with dressing, and two diet cokes, and two cups of coffee with splenda/creamer. I expected my blood sugar to be up a little, but at two hours after eating, I had a headache and my level was 91 (my target is 140-160). I never have had a level that low, and wonder why it would have dropped that low after eating a large meal. I then drank a glass of milk, and had 5 nilla wafers. 30 mins. later it was up to 111. I felt some better, still headachey. Anyone have any suggestions on why my BSL would have dropped that low after a large meal?
Thanks
If your meter is accurate, 91 mg/dl glucose is a perfectly normal bloodsugar level. Optimum levels are 70-90 mg/dl. Why in the world would you want a target glucose level of 140-160 mg/dl? That may be an ok upper limit after a meal, but not what I would consider a desirable range. A bloodsugar level of 111 mg/dl is even a bit on the high side in my opinion. High bloodsugar levels are quite damaging to your arteries and nerves.

The reason for your lower than expected bloodsugar 2 hours after your meal is that you are likely experiencing mild reactive hypoglycemia, although the amount of carbs in your meal does not appear to be that high (the only thing that would have significantly raised your bloodsugar would have been the potatoes). If you had measured your bloodsugar at 1 hour post meal, it might have been somewhat higher. Being an early Type II diabetic, you are likely still producing large amounts of insulin. Your pancreas can sometimes overcompensate with the insulin and cause a low bloodsugar level several hours after a meal containing lots of carbohydrate.

Being new to diabetes, your best bet is to experiment with different foods and see how they affect your bloodsugar levels. Refined and easily digested carbohydrates are going to have the biggest impact on your bloodsugar level and are best limited or avoided if you want to keep your bloodsugar levels in the normal range. And I would also try to keep bloodsugar levels below 140 mg/dl at all times, optimally less than 120 mg/dl, and less than 100 mg/dl while fasting.

Old 01-27-2003, 10:35 AM   #4

jennasmom HB User
Hi again,

Thanks for the info. I called my diabetes instructor this morning and I think I misunderstood the information that was given in class last week somewhat, although the paper work given to me did show my target range 2 hours post meal as 140 - 160. She assured me that it was old literature and that it needs to be changed to under 140. My morning levels are ranging from 110 - 119 now, so they are coming down somewhat. I have alot to learn, and it can be overwhelming at times.
Thanks again,
Patty

Old 02-02-2003, 05:09 PM   #5

mama8 HB User
Are you used to eating a high carb diet? If you are, when you eat a fairly low carb meal like you did, your bg may go down rather than up. I recently started low carbing and that happened to me. If I used to eat a number of pieces of bread at a meal, plus some potatoes or pasta, and then went to meal with only a small amount of potatoes, my bg would go up very little or not at all after the low carb meal. Also, if you are used to high bg, the lower (but normal) ones will feel strange for a while. Your body will adjust to them, though, so try to weather the feelings. A 91 is a great reading! I don't go there often!

Closed Thread