It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2003, 08:35 AM   #1

banmar HB User
Question CLA and diabetes

Does anyone out there know if it's safe to take CLA having type 1 diabetes. I've read on many web sites that CLA is actually good for controlling blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetes.
I just had a baby in July of 2002 as well have been diagnosed with a low thyroid about 1 month ago. I'm currently on medication for the thyroid problem but haven't seen much improvement in my weight. I've always been in good shape and I do workout regularly but since this thyroid issue I've noticed my weight increasing.
I went to a natural food/drug store and was told by the clerk that taking CLA will help with loosing weight and has no effect on the diabetes as well as the thyroid because it's a natural product. I was also told that I can get better results by taking a combination of CLA and ABS+.
If anyone knows from experience if these products are good can you please let me know asap.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2003, 09:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Best to check with our physician.

CLA is something new to me so cannot comment. I thought at first you were referring to taking calcium, which is fine but after looking at my Bronson vitamin catalog I noticed the CLA is something else.

Marie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2003, 02:18 PM   #3
maude&bandit

Please tell me what CLA and ABS are. I am from Canada too.

Old 03-14-2003, 05:19 AM   #4

banmar HB User
Maude&bandit...this is for you. I'm relatively new to the CLA as well. It was just in the past few weeks that I heard news about this suppliment. It's not a prescription drug cause you can buy it at any health food store. They claim that it's all natural. CLA stands for: conjugated linoleic acid...which basically contains some of the omega 6 fatty acids that is classified as our "good" fats. Like I said, I don't know all the ins and outs of this suppliment...hence why I posted my question. Anyway, I heard that taking CLA can attack the fat cells around the abdominal region and gurantee results in a matter of 2 months. I also posted my concern on the diet and nutrition board...have yet to get a reply. You see I usually don't have any concerns about my weight as I've always been deciplined and worked out. I just had a baby in July (1st one) and have a low thyroid (I'm on meds) ...so naturally I've been gaining weight from the hypothyroidism and not to mention the extra "baby weight" that I have yet to loose. I guess I just need a little push to get the ball rolling...if you know what I mean.
I typed in CLA in my search engine and have found a few articles on how it actually is good for people who have type 2 diabetes ( I have type 1) as it helps you absorb your insulin a lot better. I made an apointment to see my doctor early April to see if it's safe to take, in the meantime, I was hoping that someone else has heard of it and can give me some more feedback.
so you're form Canada too! How's your winter been? pretty brutal in our neck of the woods! lol

[This message has been edited by banmar (edited 03-14-2003).]

Old 03-14-2003, 01:01 PM   #5
maude&bandit

Hi Banmar: yes I am Canadian too ----eh!!!!
I will ask at health food store about CLA and get back to you . I am type 2.
Winter brutal here too. Snowbanks are 5 feet high.Take care of your new baby. I have 2 grandsons. Love them to death.

Closed Thread