It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2006, 11:02 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Question First symptoms of diabetes

Hello all, first time posting on diabetes board.

Just found out that my two sisters have diabetes, and hoping I don't.

Can someone tell me what your first symptoms were of diabetes.

My sister said that she would get hot and sweaty and couldn't lose weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2006, 11:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User
Re: First symptoms of diabetes

Hot, sweaty, and not able to lose weight are not symptoms of diabetes.

Weight loss, palore, thirst, frequent urination, and fatigue are symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Okay thanks, I thought that not being able to lose weight was not one of the symptoms.

Old 05-14-2006, 01:12 PM   #4
(female)

PollyAnn HB User

Lady50,

I read in a Diabetes journal that there is a connection between Diabetes and NOT being able to lose weight.

I know for myself, I tried different approaches to losing weight but didn't get results. Since recently being told I'm Diabetic I started to watch my carb intake and carb mixtures for the past month to have control of my sugar numbers and already seen a reduction in my weight.

It may be more of eating a healthier low carb diet but I also think since my sugar is at a steady pace - it's easier for me to get the weight off.

*I also do get hot and sweaty but I'm 46 - that's just plain ol' mother nature.

PollyAnn

Last edited by PollyAnn; 05-14-2006 at 01:15 PM.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

The not being able to lose weight may be what causes Type 2, but it is definitely not a symptom of diabetes. When you have diabetes, you aren't able to properly use carbohydrates for energy, so you urinate them out. This basically results in your peeing out your number 1 energy source, forcing your body to burn fat rapidly. Therefore, weight loss is a symptom.

Old 05-15-2006, 07:40 AM   #6
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondy2061h
The not being able to lose weight may be what causes Type 2, but it is definitely not a symptom of diabetes. When you have diabetes, you aren't able to properly use carbohydrates for energy, so you urinate them out. This basically results in your peeing out your number 1 energy source, forcing your body to burn fat rapidly. Therefore, weight loss is a symptom.

Thats not exactly it but close.

The Problem comes from No Insulin. Type 1 Diabetics will ofton see the weight loss but Type2's usually wont. When there is not any insulin in the body at all the body cant do many things, Insulin is responsible for Moving Glucos from the Blood stream to where it is needed. Which includes to Glycogen for energy and to fat for storage. Without any insulin the body also cant rebuild muscle as it gets broken up when used. So you end up losing tons of muscle.

Unfortunately many Type 2 Diabetics actually do not experience any symptoms at all.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Last edited by bluejbirdie; 05-15-2006 at 07:41 AM.

Old 05-15-2006, 09:39 AM   #7
(female)

PollyAnn HB User

I visited a Diabetes Support group and the first thing I noticed was that everyone there was overweight. My thoughts were 'is this the way I'm heading with my Diabetes'.

I have about 25lbs to lose but these people were a lot heavier. I went to gain knowledge from others that are in the same boat but at first I felt a little odd. Everyone was very nice, had different types of Diabetes and ranged in all ages. There was a 13-year-old girl who takes insulin and even she was overweight. Does insulin cause you to gain weight?

I also learned from this group that most everyone has other serious issues such as heart disease, high blood pressure and lung problems. And the women in the late 40's age said they were dealing with Menopause symptoms and think possibly that Diabetes is making the symptoms worst for both their Diabetes and Menopause.

It wasn't the place for me but it's nice that there are such place for support.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

I agree type 2 diabetics don't always show weight loss or any symptoms at all, but I don't believe only people with type 1 experience weight loss. My pathophysiology text book lists weight loss as a symptoms for both types.

Type 1s will lose more weight for the reasons you mentioned, but they will overall have more symptoms since their blood sugar will raise at a much more rapid pace.

Once blood sugars reach over 180, most people will be peeing out glucose, since that is generally the renal threshold for glucose.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:34 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you all so much. I have another question,hope ya all don't mind.

Right now I am like dead broke, and wanted to get a diabetes test since 2 sisters of mine have it.

I was thinking of going to the local Health Department and get a finger ***** blood sugar test. Do you think this test would detect diabetes in me. If your bloodsugar is quite high, does that mean diabetes.

I have read that urinalysis is a good test, since there should be no sugar in the urine.

This finger ***** bloodtest will only cost me 3 bucks.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:54 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

correction: should have said finger poke instead of the other word.LOLLOL

Old 05-15-2006, 05:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

If both your sisters have it, I would think the easiest way to detect it would be asking one of them to test you.

If it's high, my suggestion to you is to get health insurance before you get diagnosed by a doctor.

Old 05-20-2006, 07:49 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

It's all very confusing to me.
I thought Diabetes I was when your body can't produce insulin at ALL. that's why it has to be injected.
Type II diabetes is totally different and it's not insulin that they're taking by pill form. the medication they take by pill form helps regualte their blood sugar in type II. Insulin can't be produced in pill form. only with injection.
type II can be cured by changing the diet. It's proven.
It's very technical and can be down right confusing.
hypoglycemia, vs reactive hypoglycemia is different from eachother too.

I need a good book to describe and illistrate to me in detail what each one is. in laymans terms or dummy form like they make dummy books for computers.
the longer I go with having low blood sugar attacks, the worst my being able to understand anything in an orderly fashion is diminishing. it's very frustrating.

maybe there's a book out there in the market for me. anyone have any suggestions?

Linda

Old 05-20-2006, 08:54 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

There are several types of diabetes.

type 1- the immune system attacks it's own pancreas. This results in the insulin producing cells no longer being able to produce insulin. The blood glucose raises rapidly and dangerously. As no insulin is present, external insulin must be provided through injection or a pump.

type 2- this is a bit more complicated. In type two, for some reason, the cells stop responding to the insulin being produced. Basically, insulin acts as the gatekeeper for the cells, allowing glucose to enter the body cells. Think of it as the gatekeeper falling asleep on the job. To make up for this, "reinforcements" are sent in. The body just keeps making more insulin so blood glucose can be maintained at a somewhat normal level, though the level does raise. Eventually, the body can't make any more insulin, so lack of insulin production becomes a sign of type 2 at some point in time.

Gestational- basically in this one, the fetus takes all the glucose away from mom's body. So mom's body tries to not store glucose, but keep it all in the blood instead. The glucose raises. Also, some resistance is present due to the added weight.

MODY- maturity onset diabetes of youth. This is a rare genetic form of diabetes. Basically, the body is born not being able to make enough insulin (but it makes some), and it gets worse with age. Diet and exercise can be used at first, then meds, then insulin.

LADA- latent onset autoimmune diabetes of adults. Think of this as an adult getting Type 1. It's a form of type 1 diabetes, but the onset is slower and at an older age.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:13 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

update: My sister checked my bloodsugar with the finger poke bloodtester.

Before I ate, it was 140, after eating it was 117.

A few hours later, it dropped down to 57. This is when I was feeling a bit shakey inside.Then I was craving sweets like mad. This is weird that it dropped so low.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:49 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

Sounds like reactive hypoglycemia.

Closed Thread