It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2003, 07:26 PM   #1

brewzoo5 HB User
Question symptoms of a 6 year old

I am researching diabetes only because I have had several people encourage me to do so, as my son (who is only 6) has had several symptoms.

I am not sure though. But here they are:

He continues to wet his pants, sometimes often times during the day, however not so much during the night. He is reminded to go at least once an hour, yet still has accidents.

His poor feet are crusty and cracked with some bleeding in some cracks, especially if we neglect to rub lotion on them everynight.

He shakes his writsts and hands and says "he can feel them better" when he does it.

He got very ill for 5 straight weeks a couple of months ago, and was finally diagnosed with mono. But his symptoms where lethargy, weakness, high fever that started each evening around 5:00 or 6:00. He is better now, but that was strange.

He blinks his eyes and rubs them often to see the TV, but inconsistantly. Sometimes he is fine, and he passes eye exams.

He can NOT make it through a day without a good nap.

I borrowed a blood sugar test kit from a friend and so far he has a reading of 103 yesterday 2 hours after dinner and 150 today 2 hours after dinner.

Can anyone tell me if diabetes is really a threat for him, or am I reading too much into all this?

thanks for any info or opinions.

Jo

Old 08-14-2003, 08:18 PM   #2

MikelBear HB User
Jo--a reading of 150 2hrs. postprandial isn't a good sign. I'd guess it's almost a lock that he has (probably very early) diabetes--an infection such as you describe is known to sometimes trigger the autoimmune response which begins the attack on the islet cells in his pancreas. It's not EXTREMELY high by any means--certainly not immediately dangerous (I was over 900 when diagnosed at age 12, but had had symptoms for many many months by then), but he should be thoroughly tested ASAP. A few other signs--increased appetite, yet weight loss, and unquenchible thirst. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out, one way of the other...

Michael, type 1 since 1965

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 12:01 PM   #3

brewzoo5 HB User
Smile

Thanks, Bear

I just worry about him. He tends to have episodes of time when he has lots of symptoms and then there are times when he doesn't. It seems like it comes and goes. Anyway, I just wanted to know if I was being overactive in thinking that something may be going on. I haven't talked to any other parents of children with diabetes. And, its hard to get a clear answer from my son because he is only 6 and sometimes, doesn't understand what I am asking.

Thanks,

Jo

Closed Thread