It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2003, 06:31 PM   #1

wondermom HB User
Post What is the differance between Glucose Intolerant & Diabetes?

Can someone please tell me what is the differance between being Glucose Intollerant & having Diabetes?
My Doctor told me I was Glucose Intollerant after spending a week in the hospital due to what they thought was a heart attack.Turned out to be stress & a mild heart attack,but while I was there they noticed my blood sugar was higher than normal & did alot of tests & bloodwork.They sent me to another Doctor to be tested for Diabetes after i was released from the hospital & that Doctor told me I was Glucose Intollerant.
He said I needed to watch what I eat & be retested every 3 months on a regular basis,to keep an eye on it.
What does all this mean?
P.s. I have had symptoms of Diabeties such as: fatigue,thirsty alot, & frequent urination.
But also, I have problems with my vision lately & a pain in my left eye (Dont know if thats related or not)
any thoughts?
thanks,
Wondermom

Old 09-15-2003, 07:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
The difference is just a matter of degree in most cases. Being glucose intolerant (often called impaired glucose tolerance) is generally a sign of insulin resistance. Insulin resistance can progress to full blown Diabetes (Type II) if not treated with diet and lifestyle changes and/or medication.

Normal fasting bloodsugars are generally in the range of 70 to 90 mg/dl. At around 110 mg/dl, Impaired Glucose Tolerance is usually the diagnosis. At >125 mg/dl, Diabetes is the usual diagnosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2003, 10:18 PM   #3

wondermom HB User
Cool

okay,
well my Doctor said that mine has been anywhere between 113-137 (after fasting).So does that mean that I am borderline diabetic? Is that why he is having me restrict what I eat & how much of certain things I eat in my diet? I always thought that a persons sugar level had to be like way up in the hundreds to even be considered any form of diabetes!
I guess I need to do some research.The good news is that the last time I checked my level it was only 85.Thats normal , right?
~Wondermom~

Old 09-16-2003, 04:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by wondermom:
okay,
well my Doctor said that mine has been anywhere between 113-137 (after fasting).So does that mean that I am borderline diabetic?
Yes, in my opinion.

Quote:
Is that why he is having me restrict what I eat & how much of certain things I eat in my diet?
Yes. You need to cut out the simple sugars and junk carbohydrates (sweets, candy, soft drinks, chips, etc.) out of your diet for the most part. You need to watch your intake of refined high carbohydrate foods and things like bread, potatoes, rice, etc. Eating these foods will aggravate your problem. The good part is that cutting these foods out or really reducing your intake of them diet can often return your blood sugar levels to normal and reverse the symptoms of insulin resistance/diabetes if you catch it early enough.

Quote:
I always thought that a persons sugar level had to be like way up in the hundreds to even be considered any form of diabetes!
Nope. The current clinical definition is a fasting bloodsugar level of 126 mg/dl or greater (several years ago, the cut off point was 140 mg/dl). Doctors usually require more than one fasting test >125 mg/dl to make the diagnosis of diabetes.

Quote:
I guess I need to do some research.
Yep. There is quite a bit of info here on Healthboards in the old posts. Another good search tool is [url="http://www.***********"]www.***********[/url] Search for things like "insulin resistance"

Quote:
The good news is that the last time I checked my level it was only 85.Thats normal , right?
Yep. Cutting back on the refined carbohydrates and eating more whole natural foods will often return bloodsugar levels to normal levels.

Closed Thread