It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2003, 09:25 AM   #1
Veteran

ladybug _crazy HB Userladybug _crazy HB Userladybug _crazy HB Userladybug _crazy HB User
Post sugar in urine...is this normal???

my husband went for his physical today and he had sugar in his urine. the dr. asked him if had eaten and my husband told him he had shreddies with milk and about 2 teasp. of sugar on them. the dr. told him he shouldn't have eaten before the physical (but they didn't tell him this beforehand so he didn't know) he has to go back and do another urine test when he has fasted.

i'm just wondering if it would be normal to have sugar in your urine after eating that? is this a possible sign of diabetes?

p.s. before the shreddies the last thing he would have eaten was supper the night before around 7pm and maybe some pop to drink that evening around 9pm.

Old 09-17-2003, 06:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Didn't the doctor do a finger-stick blood glucose test on him? If he was spilling sugar in his urine, that should have been done.

He needs to have his blood tested, both fasting and two hours after eating, to determine what's going on. It's possible this was a fluke, but be sure to follow up on this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2003, 04:55 AM   #3
Veteran

ladybug _crazy HB Userladybug _crazy HB Userladybug _crazy HB Userladybug _crazy HB User
no, the dr. didn't do a finger ***** but he took three vials of blood. the vials here for regular check up type things so i assume there will be a glucose level check in there (i'm pretty sure anyways as they usually do that for me at my physical).

i was awfully worried after reading up on it on the internet. the only possible causes that i could find for sugar in the urine was 1. meds 2. uti or 3. diabetes. dh is not on any meds and doesn't have a uti.

dh is going to go in today and give another urine sample. i really hope this is some weird fluke. dh is not really at risk for type II, well by that i mean is very physically fit/active and not overweight, he is only 32 and has no family history of diabetes. also he has no other symptoms.

Old 09-18-2003, 08:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Why is he going for another urine sample? If they're checking for diabetes, that is best done through a blood test...and you're probably right about those 3 vials of blood they took, that they will do a blood glucose.

It is possible to develop both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes at any age and, unfortunately, it's possible to develop Type 2 even if you're not overweight and you're in good physical shape. I know this because it happened to me.

Hopefully, he doesn't have diabetes. However, if that should turn out to be the case, his healthy habits will help him keep it under control, and it's far better to have it diagnosed sooner than later.

Let's hope for the best for now. There's always time enough to worry later!

Old 09-19-2003, 06:38 AM   #5
Veteran

he did another urine sample cuz that is what the dr. told him to do. he fasted and by the time he finally gave the sample it was 20 hours w/o food...just water only. well there was no sugar in his urine this time around but i doubt you would have extra sugar around after 20 hours of nothing to eat/drink except water.

the blood test results aren't back from the lab yet so we still don't know what they will show. my friend said that the fact he could go that long w/o food and still be ok was a good sign.

Old 09-19-2003, 06:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Let's see what his blood tests show.

As far as going 20 hours without food...as a diabetic, that would be good (as long as one wasn't taking insulin). So I don't think that's very meaningful.

Old 09-20-2003, 12:50 PM   #7
Veteran

ok, i got his glucose results back and it was 6.8. the nurse said between 4-7 was fine so do you think we can just forget about it all. the dr. didn't seem concerned about it at all but i'm still feel a nervous about it...my glucose is never above 4 when i have it tested. anyways..the good part is that my husband agreed to start eating a wee bit healthier after i lectured him.

Old 09-20-2003, 10:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't remember the exact equivalents to translate what a 6.8 is, but it's possible your husband is becoming glucose intolerant. Watching his diet is a good idea. Perhaps he can make small changes. A lower carbohydrate diet would be very helpful, but he doesn't need to eliminate everything. For example, if having a baked potato, eat only 1/2 of it. If having bacon and eggs, have only one slice of toast instead of two....etc. It's the potatoes, rice, pasta, breads, etc. that will raise blood glucose a lot, as they are very high in carbs.

He probably should be tested once every six months.

Closed Thread