It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

JustDave4now HB User
Low blood sugar numbers? how low is low...

Hey all,
Been tired lately, tried checkout out my blood sugar numbers two days ago, I scored a 50 after eating two hours before, and a 41 three hours latter after lunch. Since I have been testing, and seem to be a bit better, between 60 and 80 usually if I get some food in, once I was really high, 120 but I did have sticky fingers from some icescream so that might not count.

The question I have of course is do some people just run low, and some high. I have an appointment with my doctor on Tuesday, I tried going to the hospital but they weren't overly concerned with low blood sugar, they told me to just eat something, HMM

so can some people just have low blood sugar and be okay? or is there a line that is drawn..
I know this isn't a diabetic question, but I didn't see a hypoglocemia board...

Old 05-26-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User
Re: Low blood sugar numbers? how low is low...

Those numbers, if correct, are too low.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2006, 08:25 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Betty325062000 HB User

Diabetes and hypoglycemia can be 2 sides of the same coin. Both are caused by malfunction of your system. Some hypoglycemics are lowest at hours 3,4, or 5. Sometimes doctors will do a 2 hour test and it will be high so they get diagnosed as diabetic when had they gone another 3, 4, 5 hour tests they would be hypoglycemic. Being that low at 2 hours is not good but try testing it at the next hours too see what you are really doing. Possibly the 2 hour test could be the lowest, but possibly not. Do you have hypo symptoms?
BVan (Betty)

Old 06-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hi there,

Your numbers are low blood sugar. When you have low blood sugar you need to eat something sweet or sugary to boost up your glucose level so you wont lose consciousness. And trust me, I've been in a coma twice and nearly died, you dont want to let them get too low. Eat regular meals and drink plenty. Sugar will bring your levels up. See your doctor for a blood test.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
(male)

rickst29 HB User
Re: Eat Something ???

You should visit an ENDOCRINOLOGIST, not the Hospital ER. I'm not a professional, but my somewhat-informed lay-person's guess is: your body puts out too much insulin after meals, as an over-reaction to a spike in glucose levels. This tends to happen as a reaction to 'hi-carb' meals, search the web for the term "glycemic index".

You CAN and SHOULD treat a really low bG with sugar... but not too much (maybe 10 grams at 70, or 15 grams at 50-70, or 20 grams below 50). Pile on too much sugar and it could have the side effect of generating an even bigger drop later on (as your pancreas releases still more insulin to push all the newly added carbs into your cells, a snowball effect).

A plausible long term solution, if my guess is right, might be to modify your meals... avoiding carbs with high glycemic index (i.e., mashed potatoes), and more fat... but make it a good kind, olive oil, Salmon, etc., not anything which is solid at room temperature. This would make your digestion occur more evenly, your excess insulin levels are a response to the SPIKES in blood sugar, and less of a spike is what you want.

DON'T EVER DRIVE THE CAR AT bG 50, OR EVEN bG 70 !!!

And absolutely don't follow my suggestions without advice from a QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL first.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:14 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Betty325062000 HB User

I have seen in several places what seems to be a good system. Take 15 mg of glucose. Glucotabs are ideal for this as that is a measured amount. In 15 minutes check again. If it needs lowering another 15 points, take another 15 mg and retest again at 15 minutes.

I'm not a doctor either but this seems to be a policy that many use. Of course YMMV By this time you have probably seen your doctor already. Let us know what you learned. I seems to me that you are running too low and that would make you tired.
Betty

Closed Thread