It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
(female)

health4all HB User
a1c Kits

are over the counter sold a1c kits accurate?. any accurate ones that can be ordered from a pharmacy or purchased online?.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2006, 10:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: a1c Kits

Home A1c kits are considered accurate. You can get them from just about an pharmacy. The problem might come in not understanding how an A1c test works. Your red blood cells usually survive about 90 days. Inside these cells, is the information as to what is going on with your body. That is why an A1c will give you the average blood sugar over the past 3 months. This is an excellent test if your blood sugars have been close to normal. It is less accurate the more erratic your blood sugars become. Since it is only an average, a high will cancel out a low and vice versa. This can give you a decent average yet tells you nothing as to what is really going on.

Your best bet is to test regularly and to see and Endo on a regular basis. When all of the numbers are compared, you will get the most accurate average.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2006, 10:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User
Re: a1c Kits

I've used the HomeChoice A1c test twice. Both times, it matched the readings from the lab my doctor used. I spoke with him about doing it in house, since the home tests are under 20 bucks. Told him, he could charge 60 bucks, probably what the lab does anyway.

wb

Closed Thread