It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #1
(male)

willk48 HB User
Can Glucose Levels Increase while fasting?

A few months ago I had a test result of 104. Previously whenever I had it tested I was in the low to mid 90s. So I bought a test kit and got the following results: 2 hrs after dinner (pasta and bread) 136; bedtime 108; after overnight 8 hr fast 139.
I am 48 with no family history of diabetes, only 5 lbs overweight. I do take Niaspan (timed release niacin), Zocor and Prevecit.
I just increased the dosage of Niaspan a few months ago and wonder if thats causing the increase in glucose or if my numbers above are typical of someone who is prediabetic. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:21 PM   #2
(female)

mizplaced HB User
Re: Can Glucose Levels Increase while fasting?

Yes it is possible for blood sugar to rise even though no food was eaten. Many diabetics will have a rise particularly in the early mornings due to what is known as the "dawn phenomenon". to explain it simply ,what happens is when blood sugar becomes very low the liver will kick in and produce glucose and cause readings in the early morn to be high. This does not happen to everyone but is common. If i eat nothing before bed ,my reading is high in the morning. However if I eat something such as a small apple my reading is better after sleeping. This is one of the reasons it's important to eat small meals regularly.It prevents spikes from too low to too high. Medication may help some but for me ,it actually works better if I eat something. I take meformin to control glucose which works great during the day but doesnt seem to help with first morning readings. You can get a lot of useful information from the diabetes education centers . If you havent already, contact the diabetes association and they will tell you where and when classes are held or contact them through a local hospital. The service they provide is invaluable. I am in Canada and this is a free service .

Hope this helps...dont forget to ask your doctor about anything that concerns you Take care Mizzy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
(male)

willk48 HB User

Thanks Mizzy. Not what I wanted to hear since I was hoping it's the Niaspan but I appreciate your response. I guess I need to make a Drs appt. Is it not unusual for someone to go from normal levels to diabetic levels with out the pre-diabetic phase (I would assume the fasting levels being in the 130s makes me diabetic)?

Old 06-05-2006, 07:45 AM   #4
(female)

mizplaced HB User

Thats your best bet .Get checked out by a doctor for a diagnoses and try not to worry because even people who are not diabetic will have rises in blood sugar from time to time mostly due to diet.I am not real familiar with the scale used for monitoring in the USA as ours is different in Can . Others here could probably help you with that. I dont think diabetes happens over night though so you may be "prediabetic" or not at all.I was prediabetic(no meds or insulin) for years and controlled it with a diet of low fat and carbs.. good luck mizzy

Old 06-05-2006, 05:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

Niaspan can cause glucose to rise and it says so in the literature. My mom was on niaspan for about a month and her glucose rose. Why not do a search on niaspan or ask your pharmacist, I am sure he/she will confirm the fact to you.

Good luck with the niaspan and keep us posted.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
(male)

willk48 HB User

Yes, I read that too. I think I'll take a month or so off the Niaspan and see what happens (after checking with my Dr.).

Old 06-05-2006, 08:42 PM   #7
(male)

wa5ekh HB User

May not be relavent but...

....seems like I have heard my doctors and some of the nurse educators mention that when you are ill the liver sometimes dumps sugar into the blood system, which registers as high blood sugar.
This recently happened to me and while I recovering for two weeks my BGs were 115-130 no matter how long I fasted (I wasn't very hungry you see). Finally in the third week, fasting-BGs came back down to 90-105. (seems to be my fasting normal BG nowdays with these strips, meter and standard control solution*)

(note: I have never medicated)

*though this standard control solution may not be a good comparison to whole blood, and the reference for the standard solution is not documentented, so these numbers are only a guess(+_20%=78 to 125 mg/dl)..."seems" about right.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Actually, I think Mizzy described two, separate phenomena that can cause blood sugar to rise in the morning.

The first is Dawn Phenomenon, and this occurs even in non-diabetics (it's just not usually as high as in diabetics.) Dawn Pheonomenon is a rise in blood sugar levels in the very early hours before awakening. It's a natural phenomenon that is the body's way of preparing itself for the day by making more blood glucose available to fuel increased activity.

Rebound high is actually a response to low blood sugar during the night. If the blood sugar levels go low enough, the body will produce a hormone called glucagon which in turn stimulates the liver to release glycogen (a form of glucose that's stored in the liver for emergencies.)

In your case, Will, in order to determine which, if any, of these is at play, you could set your alarm to wake up and test at about 3 AM. If you're lower than 60 at that time, and then higher in the morning, it could be rebound. If you're normal (80 or above) and then you wake up higher, it's dawn phenomenon.

Ruth

Old 06-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Actually, I think Mizzy described two, separate phenomena that can cause blood sugar to rise in the morning.

The first is Dawn Phenomenon, and this occurs even in non-diabetics (it's just not usually as high as in diabetics.) Dawn Pheonomenon is a rise in blood sugar levels in the very early hours before awakening. It's a natural phenomenon that is the body's way of preparing itself for the day by making more blood glucose available to fuel increased activity.

Rebound high is actually a response to low blood sugar during the night. If the blood sugar levels go low enough, the body will produce a hormone called glucagon which in turn stimulates the liver to release glycogen (a form of glucose that's stored in the liver for emergencies.)

In your case, Will, in order to determine which, if any, of these is at play, you could set your alarm to wake up and test at about 3 AM. If you're lower than 60 at that time, and then higher in the morning, it could be rebound. If you're normal (80 or above) and then you wake up higher, it's dawn phenomenon.

And, of course, the general rise in am blood sugar levels could be caused by the Niaspan.

Ruth

Old 06-06-2006, 09:34 PM   #10
(male)

willk48 HB User

Thanks. I'll try getting up at 3:00 am this weekend.

Old 06-17-2006, 09:29 PM   #11
(male)

willk48 HB User

Just an update. Since I stopped taking the Niaspan (time released niacin prescribed to increase HDL) my fasting glucose has been under 100. Unless it was coincidence I guess that was the problem. What a relief!

Closed Thread