It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2006, 03:02 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

JustDave4now HB User
Confusion of Blood Sugars

About a month ago I checked my Blood sugar because I come from a long line of Diabetics on my mothers side and I wasn't feeling that great. Come to find out my sugar was only 50.

Everyone thought I could be hypoglocemic. So I kept monitoring, 47, 39, sometimes 70 never over 100 even after I ate. I went to Doc, and he sent me for some tests, they came up fine.

After about two weeks this stabled out, and I started getting sugars in the 100 to 130 range. Great, all is well. put away the blood test.

This weekend I started feeling crummy again, so I figured it dropped again.

I took I did another test last night before I went to bed, and I scored 299 after having a bowl of icecream three hours before.

My wife said that was normal and not to worry about it. This morning, six hours latter and no food my blood sugar is 294, so it dropped a bit.

My question is, what is normal and why is my blood sugar all over the map. Why is it low one week and the next to me at least, even it is a very normal nummber, Higher.

I feel crummy again, I can't think right, I can't seem to go to sleep, I am peeing up a storm and I am a bit woosy on my feet.

So my question to the group is, since my doc said my Gluc test came out normal and my wife says 300 sugar is just fine (?) where is the line. She said when you get to 400 is the time to worry, so is it 400 or 500 is bad, 600 plus serious, is that how it works?

I checked the blood test kit to make sure I was doing it right, and had the proper test strip numbers in, but it was.

Understand that my mother and all her sisters and brothers are serious diabetics, also on my fathers side half his family is diabetic, so I watch this.

But my sugar doesn't seem to want to make up its mind, its just upsidedown.

I am 40 now and overweight but working on it, lost 80lbs in the last five months, the only good thing by watching my diet with weight watchers. For the first time in my life wieght is finally comming off and I get a complication. you would think with the weight loss my sugar would get better.

Also I am craving sugar in the worse way, really bad. Maybe I am driving it up on myself somehow. I did have it checked though, wouldn't it have turned up in the tests?

Symptoms I do have

Hard to think
Can't seem to sleep
tired, cranky
feet hurt
blurry vision
Light headed poor balance
Peeing to much
drinking too much (i guess they go together)

The tests I took two weeks ago for hypo are fine, any ideas on next steps, or should I just hover and wait and retest in a few months?

so confused.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2006, 05:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

claflamme HB User
Re: Confusion of Blood Sugars

That just can't be right. 299 is too high especially if your not a diabetic. I would schedule an app with an endocrinologist and have it done there and also see if they can do the glucose drink test. And let them know it runs in your family. I think fasting for non diabetics should be around 75-100.
110-126 is pre diabetes and anything over 126 is diabetes. That is how the lab sees it.
Good Luck

Old 06-26-2006, 05:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

claflamme HB User
Re: Confusion of Blood Sugars

To add. ASk if you can have the random glucose test. So you can go when you are feeling crummy.

Closed Thread