It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2006, 07:04 PM   #1
(female)

bev5493 HB User
HELP:::::: Betty Or ANYONE ELSE!!!!!

Hi Its Me Bev 8 days later but I did get the results to the 3 hr glouse test The Dr called me and said he was concerned about my test He said before drinking the sugar solution(the orange sun kist stuff) It was 79 then 1 hour later it was 168 (which he said was ok) then 1 hr later it dropped to 132 and then 1 HOR LATER IT DROPPED TO 30 (yes 30) He wants to repeat the test monday He said if this test was right then i would have something called recative hypoglycemic. Any info would greatly be appreciated He said that could be causing my headaches tiredness and the i dont feel good and the sudden episodes of near passing out. Please explain I did ask him about medicine(I want these headaches to go away) And he said it has to be controlled with diet(Meaning not losing weight but the way i eat I aready have very high chlorestol PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Thanks BEV

Old 07-20-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Betty325062000 HB User
Re: HELP:::::: Betty Or ANYONE ELSE!!!!!

Bev,
It was good hearing from you. My first post to you I mentioned that you could be hypoglycemic. It is good that he did that long of a test. As you can see had he stopped sooner he might have said you are diabetic.

Hypoglycemia has gotten a bum rap until the last few years. Mostly the medical community said there was no such thing. Now it is recognized and a Google search finds lots of information. HYPOglycemia is the flip side of HYPERglycemia (diabetes) and can convert to diabetes. Generally hypo people convert to diabetic but my 84 year old sister has been hypo for years. We think mom was also but that was too long ago to know.

Hypoglycemia is treated very much like diabetes but perhaps with a little different emphasis. Carbs make the glucose rise and your system over corrects making you too low.

The treatment, like diabetes, depends on how severe the case is. It can be severe enough to cause seizures when it is low or it can just make you shakey and uncomfortable. Like diabetes you will find there are many aspects of it that doctors don't agree on. My sister has a mild case and she eats often and carries small mints or hard candy which she uses when needed. But you must go easy there because as you can see by your test you could treat it only to make it go lower. You may be able to lower your higher numbers with diet. 168 is too high. Loosing weight will most likely be helpful.

Hypoglycemia (hypo) is also like diabetes in that you have to watch and learn what does what to you.

I wish you well.
Betty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
(female)

bev5493 HB User

Bettty Thank you for the information Can I take metformin or gluplage to stable the sugar? I had or still have pcos but i did have a hysterctomy in 200 so I am unsure if i still do or not and from what i read now they say that is acually a insulin resistance diease The dr. said it is reactive hypoglycemic and he is going to repeat the test monday because he said the 30 is way to low, but I am curious if i could take one of the meds to maybe stablize, and he said that may be where the headaches are comming from. I at this time would just about take anything to get rid of these near passing out episodes and the headaches Thanks again for you information and help Bev

Old 07-21-2006, 09:32 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Betty325062000 HB User

Bev,
I was slow getting back to you because I was trying to find the latest information on hypoglycemia. I bet you need to really try diet before any medications. Your highest high was a little out of line but your low was far too low. Many people are not conscious at that level. That was why I had advised you to stay in the area. How were you feeling at that point? 79 is accepted by the well known groups such as Mayo Clinic and is about an ideal fasting level. Since your doctor is using a glucose tolerance test, which is not accepted by many, a repeat test should continue until you have returned to a near fasting level or at least a stable point. Do I understand correctly that the 30 was the last reading? Did they just take the last sample and tell you to be on your way? I

Glucose problems is a big area with many opinions. First problem that could be causing it needs to be ruled out or found and treated. Insulin resistance accounts for much of the glucose control problem but but not all. A C-Peptide test from a single blood sample indicates the amount of insulin resistance. That seems to be the most common test used. Then an A1C test, again from one sample indicates your level at which you average. But all these are just indicators as there are lots of variables.

I propose diet as your first line of defence. Try eating frequently. This could be 5 small meals per day or 3 meals and 2 snacks. Diet is another area in which people don't agree but with a little experimenting you most likely can find what works for you. You know sweets are to be avoided but if you are like many others you aren't aware of the main foods. An easy, oversimplified way is to not eat "white" foods (except cauliflower). This includes foods such as flour (breads), potatoes, rice, pasta, and such. Read labels and stick with the lower carb foods. Hopefully you will see a change immediately. With bad headaches as motivation you an do it.

If you eat smaller amounts and that be lower carb foods that 168 at the hour mark could very well be down to a good, acceptable 140 and by the 2 hour about leveled out.

I strongly feel that glucose control is something that you as a patient must do and use the doctor's guidelines if they work for you. A big problem that I see is that it is difficult to get enough test strips to do the job needed. At least in the beginning you need to test AM fasting, after breakfast, before lunch, after lunch and so forth. The after test are more important than the before tests. This is especially true for you since your fasting ones are good.

If you will respond to this post after the test I will see it. Otherwise I could miss it in the multitude of posts. I will watch for your reply.
Betty

Last edited by Betty325062000; 07-23-2006 at 09:11 AM.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:45 PM   #5
(female)

bev5493 HB User

Betty Thank you so much again I was in bed and and all of a sudden decided to get up and check the board on here And there you were Again thank you so much I felt fine until they drew the blood the last time and my 11 year old son and I started walking out the door and I hit outside and my body started shaking so bad and i felt really weird inside I knew something was happening but I told my son lets get to Mc Donalds around the corner and get something to eat when it came time to pay i could not get money out of my purse i was shaking so bad and my son said mom you are really white are you ok I got the coke and started drinking it waiting for the food. And by the time I hit the freeway i was okay just really tired and sleepy.WEIRD Uh? I repeat the test monday and he said he cant believe the 30 so I have to repeat the test he said to bring someone to drive and bring something to eat as soon as they draw the last time. He says he will send me to a nutrilionist but I was hoping for some med to stabilize it faster. Is the atkins diet good even tho I have very high chlorestol? Again Betty thanks for all your knowledge hopefully one day I can pay it forward to help someone like you have me Thanks Bev

Old 07-22-2006, 06:24 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Betty325062000 HB User

Bev,
I did sound as if I were advocating the Atkins diet, which I am not doing. I do think the Atkins and all the other similar ones go to unnecessary extremes. General guidelines are helpful.

I mentioned before that almost everything is just opinions. That also applies to what I say. I have become a skeptic trusting doctors as far as I can verify. By background has established that. I raised a diabetic kid when there was almost nothing to work with and doctors seemed to know less than nothing but think they do. Personal experience that I have encountered would fill volumes of books. Progress is being made in treating these things and several sub-sets of diabetes are recognized. It is not always insulin resistance. I am dealing with a diabetic problem that is not the usual run-of-the mill thing.

How long have you been having these problems and are they changing, escalating or what ever? PCOS problems do have an effect but I have no information on that. What kind of doctor are you seeing? Do you have insurance>

For safety issues please do not drive if you are not at least 70. A very minor misjudgement can cause major problems. You do not want hypoglycemia on your record as some states can pull your license.

Why not today and tomorrow try eating small, frequent amounts and see what it does. If you can catch it when you are going low try to head it off with a little glucose. If caught early enough a small mint or hard candy may cover it. There are glucose tablets available at the drug store. There are individual rolls that are good for carrying them in your pocket or purse. There are also bottles. The most economical way is to buy rolls for carrying and refill them from the bottle as the bottles are cheaper per tab.

May today be a good one.
Betty

Old 07-22-2006, 11:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: HELP:::::: Betty Or ANYONE ELSE!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev5493
Hi Its Me Bev 8 days later but I did get the results to the 3 hr glouse test The Dr called me and said he was concerned about my test He said before drinking the sugar solution(the orange sun kist stuff) It was 79 then 1 hour later it was 168 (which he said was ok) then 1 hr later it dropped to 132 and then 1 HOR LATER IT DROPPED TO 30 (yes 30) He wants to repeat the test monday He said if this test was right then i would have something called recative hypoglycemic. Any info would greatly be appreciated He said that could be causing my headaches tiredness and the i dont feel good and the sudden episodes of near passing out. Please explain I did ask him about medicine(I want these headaches to go away) And he said it has to be controlled with diet(Meaning not losing weight but the way i eat I aready have very high chlorestol PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Thanks BEV
Your glucose tolerance test showed you that 3 hours after eating your blood sugar drops to critically low levels. I think it's safe to say that you need to be eating something every two hours in order to keep your blood sugar levels at a more normal range. Metformin or Glucophage are medications that will drop your blood sugar so they are not appropriate for you.
You need to eat every two hours and keep emergency food items such as glucose tabs or sugary sodas available for when you feel your sugars are getting too low.
I would also suggest you buy a glucometer to test your blood sugar yourself several times during the day so you can see what your blood sugars are doing. Based on your readings you can develop a diet plan that works for you.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Betty325062000 HB User

Bev,
I wanted to add another statement to my last post but missed it. You said the doctor said he could send you to a dietitian. I want to wave a warning sign here also. The ADA (American Diabetes Assoc) diet may be what you will find. It can work for diabetics if enough care and attention given to it, but it isn't easy. It is too heavy in carbs. The low carb diets (like Atkins) do not include enough fruits and grains for my system. You can expect to find those 2 at odds. Which way the dietitian is leaning is very important but most likely the ADA diet. In my opinion neither of these 2 make a good diet for me and I use a modified combination.

I just do not see why a doctor would repeat that test as it is far out enough that at half those levels would be bad. You are not boarderline. I think It that test is dangerous in general and particularly for you. Can you change doctors? An Endocrinologist is best. In my first post I warned against leaving the area during the test. It did not occur to me that they would have you leave at the end of the test with such readings.

I agree completely with the previous poster.

I hope I have not overloaded you. Too many doctors just don't know how to handle these things. Get a 2nd opinion. I would still like to know how long you have had this problem and has it changed much?

Have a good day.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:00 PM   #9
(female)

bev5493 HB User

Hi Betty You are an angel!!! Ok to make a long story short as i can I tried for 15 years to get pregnant nothing worked finally in 95 thought i had a bladder infection and i was 51/2 months pregnant. My angel child!!! Ok in 2000 I woke up with a severe headache my neck would not hold my head could not see straight and in the hospital you have a blood clot next morning nureo surgeon said no just i had a strange head put on flexaril and after 3 weeks i could function then within time it went away. then 1 year later i had a severe headaches and was talking on the phone and everything went black and i could not walk straight back in hospital and said stroke next day no stroke problary just migraines given every imagable medicine still had headaches started havinf like electrical shocks in head and severe dizzy spells they said pollup on sinus had surgery , then 3 months later symptoms continued guanteered to be gallbladder had surgery gall bladder was not empting but 10% of time. Still had headaches everyday and went to numerous drs and gyn said hysterctomy would cure everything Had hysterctomy in 2001 could not take any hrts headaches everyday now of my life sometimes cant function Had another sinus surgery and still here i am. Went to heart dr 8 months ago and said i am dying my heart rate was very high oh to go back in 2000 they said i needed valve replacement surgery also but vascular surgeon said they are crazy. Ok now hear dr did cartoid exam and said i have 5 nodules on thyroid 3 being hot. went and had fna no cancer did rai in march to kill it out and as of now i am nore hyper than before. Now the endo i am seeing ran all kinds of test because i got old records from the army and they state i had congential adrenal hyperplasia but he tested me 3 months ago and the test came back ok so i dont know what to think on that one! But i asked him to please check sugar and he gave me a monitor said he does not think it is sugat it is thyroid still with the moiner it has gone as high as 357 and as low as 22. but doesnt seem to be any pattern to it I can be shaking and my blood will be ok I can not eat all day and my blood will be ok so i told him this and he did the 3 hour test and called me thursday? or whenver last week and said he needs to repeat that test in the morning and how did i feel during this test I told him i felt fine( i did remember i got really sleepy but thought that was from staying up late the night before) until i left then my 11 year old son said mom as we were getting in the car he said you are real white and at that point i started shaking my whole body my leg would not stay on the gas pedal or brake i told him i have to get around the corner to mcdonalds to push brake if something happend and things were getting worse at this point. I could not find money in my purse i was knocking things over in the front seat finally got the drink and i gulped it down but up out of the drivethu but stayed in the line and started eating a hanburger I started to fell alittle better but still like real tired and kinda foggy headed hit the freeway and 45 miles later i was home and had to lay down when i woke up i was fine again except still had the headache SO TO ASWER YOUR QUESTION I HAVE BEEN GOING TRU ALL THIS FOR 7 YEARS AND STILL DONT HAVE AN ANSWER!!! Problary by now i have put you to sleep so i will close for now pray for me and this test tomorrow again BEV

Old 07-23-2006, 07:33 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Betty325062000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev5493
Problary by now i have put you to sleep so i will close for now pray for me and this test tomorrow again BEV
That is definitely not a "good night" story. I am so sorry you have been through all this and I will pray for you with the test. Please let us know how it goes.

Old 07-24-2006, 04:13 PM   #11
(female)

bev5493 HB User

Ok Its me I am back from Dr I would like to tell all who replied thanks alot Betty i had a horrible time today Got there drank the stuff and then did great until I started walking out the door and everything went black like a curtain closing. The lab lady and my mother helped me to the chair and i started violiyt shaking They called the nurse to my dr and she came put me in a room checked blood pressure and blood with a machine and it was 51 .They gave me orange juice and waited and the dr came in and talked to me for a few and then i felt ok and i came home. Dont have any results yet but will post as soon as i can Bev

Closed Thread