It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #1
(female)

schmoo47 HB User
Glucose Meters

I currently have an Accu-Chek Advantage meter that is almost 3 years old. It seems to be working fine, but I was wondering how long a meter lasts and when to replace it with a new one. My insurance covers Accu-Chek test strips, so I need to stay with an Accu-Chek meter. I was thinking about switching to an Accu-Chek Aviva as it takes only 5 seconds compared to 20 seconds on the Advantage for test results. Also, I was wondering if I called Accu-Chek if they would send me a free meter. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2006, 10:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User
Re: Glucose Meters

I am willing to bet anything that Accu-chek would send you an Aviva for free. It's a great meter, you'll love it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2006, 07:16 AM   #3
(female)

blacklime HB User

schmoo47,
You might also talk to your drug reps through your doctor's office. I am in contact with the rep. for the monotor I use (one touch ultra). He gave me his business card and phone number so I can call if I have any questions or problems with the meter. They are usually willing to give out a meter or provide a coupon so you can get one free at the drug store. You'll need to ask your Dr. who the rep is for the accu-check meters that they deal with. Hope that helps.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
(male)

Friendlyfocus HB User

There should be a toll-free number on the back of the meter. Call it, and ask if you can get a free upgrade. If you registered your original meter, they'll usually have your information already in the system.

I told my mother about this, and she was still using an absolutely ancient One Touch Basic (about 5 years old at least). She called them up and they still had her in the system, they sent her a One Touch Ultra right away.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:40 PM   #5
(female)

schmoo47 HB User

I phoned Accu-Chek today and they said that I qualified for an upgrade. So they are sending me an Aviva which I should receive in a few weeks. Thanks for all your input.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:02 PM   #6
(male)

rickst29 HB User
Cool Re: Aviva

Aviva also has a MUCH better range of testing temperatures than your old one-- it goes even a bit below 45F, IIRC. And it's better in the heat, too. Good choice!

Old 10-22-2006, 07:25 PM   #7
(male)

bardsym HB User
Question Monitor my eating disorder

Most of you will understand the overeating principle, I just thought I explain what's going on. From a young age I have been taught to properly finnish my dish and I still strictly do. So I tend not to notice too well that I'm overeating other than the time it takes me to get through the meal, the time it takes me to swallow or period of low energy levels after meals.

I thought the best way to control this habit would be by monitoring my blood sugar levels during the day and monitoring the effects that overeating have on my blood sugar. As this is why I shouldn't eat too much, it causes this dip in energy levels for quite some time, in which it can be tempting to eat even more (Type 3 diabetics ), but i got that under control allright. So i thought who better to ask than online diabetics..

If I would want to monitor my blood sugar,

1. Where can I find an affordable meter and test strips of some sort?
2. What would be the smartest times to monitor my blood sugar, just one hour before and two hours after meal?
3. Will two measurements per meal be sufficient?
4. What if I happen to be an athlete that is basically working out etc. all day and therefore snacking all the time as well.
5. I assume I shouldnt snack or anything with this type of experimenting but how could I monitor the effects of snacking on my blood glucose, test more often what are the time frames I should be looking at?
6. Would everyone agree upon the given information that I am very insulin sensitive / insulin responsive?

Monitoring is great, no such thing as over monitoring in my dictionary, only a thing called under analysing

Old 11-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #8
(female)

schmoo47 HB User

I received a new Accu-Chek Aviva about a week ago. I know 2 testings are not the same, even if you use the same blood stick. But the Aviva tests are running between 15-20 points higher than my Advantage. I always do a control test each time I open a vial and both meters test OK. Should I call Accu-Chek and let them know the Aviva is showing 15-20 points higher or just wait until I have my next A1C, which is due next month? My last A1C was 5.6. My readings are not dangerously high on the Aviva, but why is there such a difference between the 2 meters? Any help would be appreciated.

Closed Thread