It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
(female)

kealla74 HB User
my husband needs to gain weight **Udate in OP**

Hi, this is my first post. I am a wife to a husband that was diagnosed with diabetes last year. Actually it WAS pre-diabetes, and it has quickly gone down hill in the last 6 months. At first he was able to control it with just watching what he ate, not the case now. He is taking 3 pills of Metformin a day, and it's not working. His # are always about 300, that is average, morning!!

The last time he went to the doctors about a month ago, he had lost 10lbs, and he is already skinny!! They want him to gain some weight. Now HOW in the world is he suppose to do that, when there is nothing he can eat!! I am getting stress out about all this, and I'm not even the one with diabetes. He is also lossing his sex drive, he is only 33. I don't understand why this is happening to him, young and skinny.

So what can he eat that will help him gain some weight. Help, he is wasteing away here!

UPDATE**
Well, I guess we have the answer. When they did his blood tests last monday, they did test to see if he had T1 or T2. He had NO insulin and all! So he is a T1. I guess when he first had that test done a year ago, he had high levels of insulin. Now none at all.

TOmorrow he is going back and the nurse is going to teach him how to do the insulin shots. I am very sad, and now I have to read all I can about T1.

Last edited by kealla74; 10-17-2006 at 01:37 PM.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: my husband needs to gain weight! HOW?

The high blood sugar is most likely the cause of all the problems. He won't be able to gain weight until his sugars are under control. 300 is way too high. Has his doc talked about insulin at all. It seems that the oral meds aren't working very well.

Also, the high glucose can interfere with his sex drive in several ways. It is possible that there is some early nerve damage (not that likely) and it is also possible (most likely) that things aren't working that well simply because he doesn't feel very well.

The bottom line is you need to be more aggressive (maybe with the doc) and make sure that the sugars get controlled.

Good luck to both of you.

Cora

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
(female)

kealla74 HB User

Thank you Coravh I was wondering if the high sugar was making him loose weight. We are still new to all this and learning. I have been reading as much as I can on the web, and soon I need to get some diabetes cook books, to help with our suppers. I HATE cooking! And can't cook much, so I need to learn some healthier dishes for him (and us). It is hard when you are on a limmited budget with 4 kids, to buy all the heathly foods.

I did buy the cinnamon tablets for him to start trying. I will try anything if it will help even a little at this point!! I know 300 is high, but that is lower then it was before he started the meds. His meter was always reading high! No numbers, just HI!! My husband has an appointment this tuesday afternoon, I plan on being there too!! He had his AC1 (I think that is what it's called) done last week, so we should have his results.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kealla74
.... At first he was able to control it with just watching what he ate, not the case now. He is taking 3 pills of Metformin a day, and it's not working. His # are always about 300, that is average, morning!! .....
Are you sure he has been diagnosed correctly? He has obvoiusly been diagnosed as a T2 but the the symptoms sound like Type 1.

Mark

Old 10-16-2006, 05:52 AM   #5
(female)

kealla74 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1e
Are you sure he has been diagnosed correctly? He has obvoiusly been diagnosed as a T2 but the the symptoms sound like Type 1.

Mark
I have no idea! How do they know if it's T1 or T2? Like I said we have an apointment tomorrow. If you have any questions we should be asking the Dr. please tell me what we should be asking!!

Old 10-16-2006, 10:07 PM   #6
(male)

rickst29 HB User
Your husband needs to have the RIGHT tests done, STAT!

Ask that Dr. to do BOTH an "insulin" and "C-Peptide" test, and obtain/interpret the test results "STAT". These tests are measuring trace hormones, not blood sugar or its "A1c" byproducts. They are special-ordered tests.

That means immediately. Today, not Wednesday: there's Ketoacidosis risks in the situation you're describing. Since he's continuing to loose weight with high bG levels, Mark1e is very likely correct, and your current Dr. is ummmm, how do I put this nicely?

Incompetent. Yeah, that's the nicest word I can use for a Dr. who leaves the pt. on orals which AREN'T WORKING, and deosn't even order a C-Pepetide test, while the pt. is becoming dangerously underweight. What's happening is, he's eating adequate food and that's putting plenty of fuel (glucose) into his bloodstream. But the cells are starving, no matter how much he eats, that glucose can't get into the cells-- PROBABLY because there isn't enough insulin to do the job. (It sounds much less likely that he merely needs more/stronger/different oral "insulin resistance" treatment agents.)

A T1 person can starve to death while asking for 3rds on Thanksgiving day. All that food DOES get into your blood, but without insulin on board, it can't get into the cells which need it. His body tries to get by, first by consuming all the fat he can spare, and then by starting to eat his own muscle tissue. Not good. This is how we all died before insulin was found and isolated for us to inject on our own.

BTW, I was an adult-onset T1, left on inadequate oral meds for WEEKS before getting insulin on board. In those days, it wasn't obvious that adults frequently come down with T1. But these days, it's a very basic standard of care: You perform that C-Peptide test, and you watch those ketones, or you really should loose your license.

Feel free to clip this and email it to the office, with my HealthBoards ID attached.

Last edited by rickst29; 10-16-2006 at 10:24 PM.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kealla74
.... If you have any questions we should be asking the Dr. please tell me what we should be asking!!
A positive GAD anti-body test would mean that he is T1. But sometimes the test comes back negative and the patient ius still T1. Very high c-peptide or insulin levels would mean that he is T2. So you may want to suggests that thet get tested too. If he is infact T1, only injecting insulin will bring his blood glucose down into the target range.

Mark

Old 10-17-2006, 10:05 AM   #8
(female)

kealla74 HB User

Thanks for the replies. We will be going there in 2 hours, and I will post what happened at the office. I will ask if any of those tests have been done yet, and if not demand that they BE done! I am hoping that they have been done, and this is just a case of him needing to find the right meds to help control his sugar. He really has gone way too long with these high numbers.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #9
(female)

kealla74 HB User

Update in OP! DH has type 1

Old 10-18-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
(female)

joniann HB User

Meats and fats have no carbohydrate in them. You could fry meats in an oil that is "heart-healthy" such as canola oil to provide calories and yet little or not carbohydrates to fool with the blood sugar. That should help with weight gain once the blood sugars have been controlled.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:38 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Hi Kealla,
Well, before I even got to your update post, I strongly suspected that Mark and Rick were right and that your husband was a T1. So, now that he's been properly diagnosed...what are they doing for him? He's going to need to be on insulin, and it may take a while to get his doses regulated. You both may want to see a registered dietician for advice on meal planning and balancing carbs to insulin. Also, if the doctor he's seeing is not an endocrinologist, I would highly recommend that you make an appointment with an endo. Some gp's are okay at managing diabetes, but most are not that expert at it.

Also, if there's a major teaching hospital anywhere in your area, see if they give a diabetes education course. With a referral from an endo, your insurance should pay for it.

Tell your hubby there's lots of support here...just come on board and ask any and all questions. Because management of diabetes is so much in the patient's hands, it can seem overwhelming at first...but just try to take it one step at a time. Read, read some more, re-read what you've already read, and eventually it'll all sink in. But do feel free to ask questions here...that's what these boards are for.

Ruth

Old 10-24-2006, 07:59 AM   #12
(male)

Lemonz HB User

Hello

I'm a type 1 diabetic and i had problems with gaining weight because i had a very hard time regulatin my diabetes, so my dietrician said that i could try and eat about 15 - 20 nuts a day and put mayo on things that work with it (they bots have the healthy fat in it), but don't overdo with the mayo as it is not recommended to eat too much. Just eat things that have healthy fat in it and not too many carbs. Eat about 4 - 6 times a day (three main courses and three small meal in between, the small ones should only be like 1 slice of bread, rich with fiber of course ) and keep the meals about the same time every day, so the body can get used to it. If you stick to this then your houseband will gain weight in no time, but he won't get fat either. He will become the right weight and keep it like that. It was very helpful for me, i am 186 cm tall and i only weighed about 60 kg which was way to little, now i weigh about 65 kg and it's been like that for some time and i'm very happy with the results

Good luck

Old 12-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #13
(female)

triciauk HB User

Hello, I have been reading the forum for a few nights trying to glean some info that may help my Dad. Kealla, if you still read the boards I would dearly love to know how your husband is getting on now.

I apologise in advance for the long post to follow but hope that someone can help me. Dad is 74, been a type 2 for about 13 yrs on oral meds, sugar levels only checked every few months at Drs and as far as I know always ok'ish but suspect they have remained too high, he does have diabetic retinopathy.

He had polio about 30 yrs ago and has no feeling in one leg since then. About 2 yrs ago, his back began hurting alot, anyway ultimately he had spinal stenosis and had a laminectomy a year ago. He did not improve much and by the summer was losing muscle in his legs and finding it increasingly difficult to walk and severe nerve pain. Spinal surgeon refused to do anything until a year was up and sure enough after an mri scan, there were large bony re growths and another laminectomy was done early November. Here is where the real fun starts, he went hypo a couple of days after the op, diabetic consultant came, changed oral meds, seemed to improve. After discharge he stopped being able to pass urine or stools, bloated up, got an infection, sugar levels at about 20 (think thats 360 usa). Found his creatine levels high, anaemic, went back for a transfusion overnight, diabetic consultant said he must go on insulin, so was discharged with novomix 30. Levels still around 10 to 16 for two weeks after. Then he started a new pen and suddenly levels went right down to 4 to 7, excellent we thought, must have had a duff pen. 3 days later went in for a cystoscopy, enlarged prostate discovered, booked in for a TURP Wednesday 27th Dec. Since the cystoscopy (one week ago) his levels have been between 14 and 22, despite increasing the insulin to 15 am and 8 pm (started at 12 and 6). He is in such pain in his back, nerves, legs has lost a stone in weight since the op, has no stregnth to do his excercises and his legs look like he just came of a concentration camp.

I do not know what to do, yes, he needs the op next week to get rid of the catheter hopefully but I don't know if he is strong enough. This is all at a private hospital but I wonder if the diabetic consultant/urologist/spinal surgeon ever talk to eachother. He has been on virtually permanent antibiotics for 5 weeks, also takes high blood pressure meds and a statin.
I don't know if we should push to get the sugar levels under control before anything else but at the same time, with all the procedures, medications and stress maybe they will remain high.

So sorry to be so long winded but I am at my wits end watching him trying to gain energy and don't know whose butt to kick first, please help.

Closed Thread