It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
(female)

harleybird HB User
Difference between Fasting Glucose & Fasting Insulin Levels

I am new to this and I am wondering if anyone can tell me the differences between the fasting Glucose Level and the fasting Insulin Level.

My Fasting Glucose was 94 and my fasting Insulin was 48.

I have been diagnosed with Metobolic Syndrome & Insulin Resistence and just started metformin XR 1 x a day.

I hope to lose some of this fat around the middle. Does weight loss get easier when taking metformin for these levels of glucose and insulin?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2006, 01:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User
Re: Difference between Fasting Glucose & Fasting Insulin Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleybird
I am new to this and I am wondering if anyone can tell me the differences between the fasting Glucose Level and the fasting Insulin Level.

My Fasting Glucose was 94 and my fasting Insulin was 48 .....
As the names imply, the glucose test measures how much glucose, which is a source of energy, is in your blood. And the insulin test measures how much insulin, the hormone that enables glucose to enter cells and be turned into energy, is in your blood.

At 94 your fasting glucose is somewhat higher than normal (about 85mg/dl) but not high enough for a diabetes diagnosis. But your insulin level of 48mg/dl is way higher than it should be. A healthy young non-insulin resistant adult would have an insulin level of about 10. So your pancreas is pumping out 5 times as much insulin as it should have to, in order to keep your blood glucose in the normal range. Which means that you are insulin resistant.

Because insulin is the fat storage hormone, the higher your levels of it, the more easily you put on weight. And the harder it is to get rid of it. Metformin helps reduce insulin resistance. But losing weight and limiting carbohydrate in your diet will have a much greater effect. Reducing insulin resistance will also stop your blood glucose from rising and making you a full blown diabetic.

Mark

Last edited by Mark1e; 11-07-2006 at 01:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
(female)

harleybird HB User
Re: Difference between Fasting Glucose & Fasting Insulin Levels

Thank you so much for that very detailed and well written explanation. That is the first time that this has been explained to me in such a clear concise manner. You are an angel!

I know that every person is different and responds differently to medication and diet, but I wonder what would the "average" outcomes would be after beginning metformin (for weight loss)?

I am just now starting on the extended release tabs (1- 500 mg per day). My changed my diet a few months ago to a lower-carb/higher veg. protein diet but weight loss did not occur (I am over 40 and on HRT).

What could be the expected timeframe to start seeing some results? Everybody keeps saying, "Ah, you are insulin resistent, that's why diet and exercise doesn't work. The Metformin should help that". Is it possible that the fat is just here to stay?

Closed Thread