It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
(male)

SoloHiker HB User
New poster with a couple basic questions...

Hi, all! New poster here with a couple basic questions. I was recently diagnosed as "pre-diabetic", so I guess that means I need to start all the basic nutritional things to try getting this under control. So my first couple basic questions are this:
1) Can anyone recommend a good book that'll give me the basics in today's world about managing the disease, learning about the necessary dietary stuff, and so on?
2) I've read a few times that simple exercise (like walking for 30 minutes) can bring down blood sugar pretty effectively. Is this always the case, and what about walking around town for 30 minutes after lunch? Is that effective, or should one wait a couple hours after lunch?
3) I've noticed the "hard to focus" thing with my eyes lately, and I'm assuming it's probably part of my pre-diabetes (although I've needed glasses for a couple years now). If/when my diet is back under control and I'm exercising again, will this problem go away, or is it permanent (rhetinopathy)?

Thanks, and looking forward to being part of the community here!

Old 11-12-2006, 02:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: New poster with a couple basic questions...

Welcome - may I recommend Mayo Clinic on Managing Diabetes - ISBN 1-893005-38-0. It is quite comprehensive. You may be able to actually glean all the information you need just on the internet.

It doesn't matter when you exercise. Your exercise will effectively burn calories, it will choose carbohydrates first (which will lower your blood sugar) and fats second (which will reduce your weight and lower your insulin resistance. Exercise is quite, quite effective in reducing your blood sugar.
Simple exercise is good and is effective.

I don't expect that, from your description, you have diabetic retinopathy, it sounds more like presbyopia - diabetic retinopathy is characterized by bleeding out of blood vessels onto the retina, which absorbs the light-sensitive rods. It results in "dead spots" where the bleeding occurs, not in general trouble focusing your eyes. The major reason for this is aging, your eyeballs become more rigid, and the dimensions of them change with the increase of pressure - people tend to go farsighted as they age.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
(male)

SoloHiker HB User
Thumbs up Re: New poster with a couple basic questions...

tfkeel, thanks for responding! I'm just searching for information on carbo limits (what's good, what's average, etc), but I suspect grams of carbs are more of a "personal level" kind of thing, no? I definately will continue searching for info on the internet, and also check out the book you recommend. I think for the most part I need to be educated nutritionally more than anything.

For example, I see after coming back from the grocery store that there are lots of foods out there that proclaim Zero carbs, which I assume is something diabetics need to avoid (high carbs that is, if not entirely, then keep rigid track of). Are sodium levels a concern for the average Type 2 diabetic (I tend to make a point to eat low sodium anyway, in attempts to keep my blood pressure down)?

As far as my eyes go, I'll be scheduling an appointment next week to get them checked. At 40, I probably should have gotten glasses some years ago, but I've been concerned lately because my eyesight seems to have gone downhill quite a bit in the last few months (noticeably so). No spots or dead spaces, just the same focusing kind of thing equally in both eyes.

Thanks again for your response, and for any additional comments should you have the time!

Steve

Last edited by SoloHiker; 11-12-2006 at 04:29 PM.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User

Hi - there is a book called, "How to Live with Diabetes" which is very informative. I'm sure you could find it at your library.
My son has had diabetes since he was six years old, and my daughter-in-law has Type II Diabetes, which is no doubt the kind you have. It is very important to test your blood sugar often, which I'm sure your doctor has told you, especially as you get used to your medication and changed diet. If you can keep your blood sugar within normal limits then there is much less chance for complications. You shouldn't just buy "low-carbohydrate" foods but will just need to eat a balanced diet, without a lot of "junk" food. Are you taking pills?
Exercise is very important, but 30 minutes 3 times a week is usually enough.
Be sure to look at the books about diet for diabetics. You will soon learn how to control your diet in order to maintain a good blood sugar level without making yourself feel deprived! Good luck!

Old 11-13-2006, 07:06 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

The basic recommendations are set up on a calorie basis, and then the amount of carbs is held to about 50% of the calories, with 30 percent or so from protein, and 20 percent or less from fat.

Mabent is right, the idea in view is to not necessarily cut out carbs, but to select foods which give you high nutrition for the carbs they contain. Like buying things....you have to analyze the cost/benefit ratio. No food is without cost, but many of them are without any substantial benefit.

Not all carbs are equal, and not all have the same effect on your blood sugar level. Carbs which are bound in fiber (such as apples, whole grain breads, etc.) take longer to metabolize, and indeed, some portion passes into the draft unmetabolized. So, the net effect of a small apple with 18 grams of carb and the net effect of two teaspoons of refined sugar with 18 grams will be quite different in your body.

The short term effect of these two will be that the sugar will send your BS screaming upward.... and the apple won't. Long term, the apple will provide you good vitamins and nutrients, and the sugar will provide you nothing.

A rough third of the apple will pass out of your body in excrement. A rough 0 of the sugar will.

45 minutes of vigorous exercise, such as available on gym equipment, treadmill, stepper, bike, etc. can cause you to expend 300-500 calories. One pound of stored fat in your body has roughly 3500 calories. You will lose a pound for every 7 days of exercise, at these rates. If you reduce your caloric intake to a deficit of 500 calories per day, you will lose 2 pounds a week. This is a good target.

Sodium has no appreciable effect upon your blood sugar. However, your blood pressure is raised by it, which puts you in a higher risk category for stroke and heart disease. Diabetes is also a major risk factor itself.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkeel
..... select foods which give you high nutrition for the carbs they contain. .....
Better still, get all the nutrients you need from food that contains little or no carbohydrate....

Old 11-13-2006, 06:04 PM   #7
(male)

rickst29 HB User
Question Re: tfkeel's diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkeel
The basic recommendations are set up on a calorie basis, and then the amount of carbs is held to about 50% of the calories, with 30 percent or so from protein, and 20 percent or less from fat.
I disagree, and so do MANY experts (although lots of diets are workable).

Hardly anyone with good control eats so little fat calories. In general, diabetes is a carbo balancing act, so eating an unusually high proportion of carbs makes balancing the food versus insulin HARDER.

I'm not a low-carber, and I'm T1 (not T2). But a recent Duke University study of T2 which assigned their subjects into two groups for intensive dietary support found the low-carb group's results to TOTALLY WIPE the 40/30/30 diet groups results--

even their cholesterol and triglycericdes numbers where significantly better. I was really surprised to read that the high-fat diet IMPROVED blood fat numbers so much more, but it did.

Cut out the saturated and trans-fats for sure. But for nice oils and nuts, it's WAY easier to keep bG stable if you get a normal (or even higher) proportion of total calories from fat. INCREASING carbs, as tfkeel suggests, is probably gonna make your circus high-wire balancing act a lot harder.

But YMMV! tfkeels diet obviously works for him, even if it's unlikely to be a good choice for most diabetics.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
(male)

SoloHiker HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1e
Better still, get all the nutrients you need from food that contains little or no carbohydrate....
Such as what? Any suggestions for a non-vegetarian?

Old 11-13-2006, 07:09 PM   #9
(male)

SoloHiker HB User
Re: tfkeel's diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29
But a recent Duke University study of T2 which assigned their subjects into two groups for intensive dietary support found the low-carb group's results to TOTALLY WIPE the 40/30/30 diet groups results--
I did a quick search looking for the study you mentioned, but didn't find anything. Do you happen to have a URL to the study?

Many thanks to everyone for your comments! It definately looks like I have a lot of learning to do in a short time!

Old 11-13-2006, 11:31 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloHiker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1e
Such as what? Any suggestions for a non-vegetarian?
Being carnivorous makes it a lot easier . For breakfast, I normally have eggs, sausages, cheese, and maybe a mushroom. Virtually no carb in that. For dinner, we have chicken kebabs, sausages, fish, steak etc etc usually with a salad. Once again, virtually no carb but all the important nutrients are there. For lunch, I normally have leftovers from the night before. I often have fruit for lunch too, especially on gym days as my blood glucose tends to drop.

Mark

Old 11-15-2006, 06:54 AM   #11
(male)

rjonesType2 HB User

I have heard that a surgeon has cured a few patients with Type 2 diabetes by operating on a nerve in the brain. This guy is supposed to be a pretty famous nuro surgeon that cured Trigeminal Neuralgia with a similar operation.
have you heard anything about this?
the docs name is Peter Jannetta, I think he is in Pittsburgh at a hospital there called Allegheny General.

anyone that has heard of this procedure or the surgeon, I would appreaciate your comments.

Closed Thread