It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2006, 05:43 AM   #1
(male)

Takecare HB User
Whats the Effect ?

Taking Fresh Orange Juice, A Glass with nothing to add, Twice a Day, will be Good to Type 2 Diabetics.

While the above claim has created a contraversey, As some of the Hard core
Diabetics have claimed to have high benefit & are reguler to take Orange Juice, few are against the Orange Juice as that contains some natural Glucose.

May I request, the clear advice on the matter.

"Takecare"

Old 11-21-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
(male)

rickst29 HB User
Thumbs down Orange Juice "good" for Type-2? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Here is my opinion:

Orange Juice is a HUGE dose of sugar (it's fructose, NOT glucose). Although it's Vitamin C (lots!) and a couple of other vitamins in smaller quantity plus a couple of minerals (Potassium, Zinc), all of the fiber is left behind by the squeezing process.

What you're drinking is basically a natural "junk food" of empty carbs-- HUGE numbers of carbs. And with such high acidity, pH = 3.5, it's really bad for teeth.

T2 diabetics WILL NOT benefit from consuming such intensively concentrated sugars. It's a treatment of choice for Hypoglycemia. And obviously, therefore, a terrible choice for T2 diabetics who already suffer from elevated blood sugars.
- - - - -

If you really love the taste, eat the orange: keep the fiber! But an apple is a better choice in most ways.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2006, 11:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User
Re: Orange Juice "good" for Type-2? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I agree with Rick here. I save OJ for low bs. It raises bs fast.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Agreed...a T2 who regularly drinks OJ is probably going to have great difficulty keeping their numbers down.

On the other hand, for those of us on insulin or oral meds who have episodes of LOW blood sugar, juice is excellent for treating it as it raises blood sugar levels very quickly.

Ruth

Old 12-21-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
(male)

Takecare HB User

I agree Fresh Orange Juice or Even Pure Orange Juice (With No Sugur Additives) as available in Packs at Super Markets, May have some Natural Glucose or Fructose that may add to Blood Sugur Level. But the Fact remains that for Type 2 Diabetes, this little natural sugur will not do much damage If you compare the Advantages of Vitamin C & other so many nutrions You get from A Glass of Orange Juice. All the Benefits & Advantages out weighs the small inbuilt natural sugur in the Orange Juice.
I have felt & have continued to take A Glass of Orange Juice, even after having Diognised with Type 2. Perhaps I may be Guided in right earnest direction, by any one having more conviction & experienced knowledge.
Just dont go by hear say, Do look into Merits of Orange Juice & the possible Damage the little natural sugur in Orange Juice can do.
I do have Supportive Medical facts that Natural Orange Juice can do Immense Health benefits - so lets go into a healthy debate to conclude a better decesion. Meanwhile Please Note We are talking about Type 2 Only.
"Takecare"

Closed Thread