It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2006, 08:31 AM   #1
(male)

Takecare HB User
Need Suggestions for Natural Juices

Can any one Suggest any Natural Juice - Rich in Vitamin C & good for Type 2 Diabetics ? Preferably Fruit Juice which is easily available & has proven benefits of Vitamin C.
Please help to "Takecare"

Old 11-22-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Need Suggestions for Natural Juices

Whole fruit is always much better than juice. It will not raise blood sugar as much and contains much more fibre. It also has not been processed so is not missing any trace elements and has not come into contact with anything.

Cora

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

Quite honestly, juice may have some nutritional qualities for people without diabetes, but for someone with diabetes, fruit is pretty much always a no-no for regular use. Any juice is gonna raise bs a ton.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

I have to agree with Cora and Blondy here...juice is pretty much a no-no for us diabetics unless we are using it to treat a hypoglycemic episode.

Ruth

Old 12-21-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
(male)

Takecare HB User

I agree Fresh Orange Juice or Even Pure Orange Juice (With No Sugur Additives) as available in Packs at Super Markets, May have some Natural Glucose or Fructose that may add to Blood Sugur Level. But the Fact remains that for Type 2 Diabetes, this little natural sugur will not do much damage If you compare the Advantages of Vitamin C & other so many nutrions You get from A Glass of Orange Juice. All the Benefits & Advantages out weighs the small inbuilt natural sugur in the Orange Juice.
I have felt & have continued to take A Glass of Orange Juice, even after having Diognised with Type 2. Perhaps I may be Guided in right earnest direction, by any one having more conviction & experienced knowledge.
Just dont go by hear say, Do look into Merits of Orange Juice & the possible Damage the little natural sugur in Orange Juice can do.
I do have Supportive Medical facts that Natural Orange Juice can do Immense Health benefits - so lets go into a healthy debate to conclude a better decesion. Meanwhile Please Note We are talking about Type 2 Only.
"Takecare"

Old 12-21-2006, 01:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

I'm sorry, but I still disagree that juice is a good idea for anyone with diabetes. Vitamin C has many sources, none that I can think of as which raise glucose as much as juice. Juice is simple sugar that results in a fast spike in glucose level. A small glass of OJ has about 25 grams of sugar. That's the same as a candy bar pretty much.

I'd even reason to say that OJ is less damaging for someone with type 1 than type 2 as type 1s can often bolus for the carbohydrate content.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:14 PM   #7
(male)

rickst29 HB User
Thumbs down Re: Pure Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takecare
I agree Fresh Orange Juice or Even Pure Orange Juice (With No Sugar Additives) as available in Packs at Super Markets, May have some Natural Glucose or Fructose that may add to Blood Sugur Level. But the Fact remains that for Type 2 Diabetes, this little natural sugar will not do much damage If you compare the Advantages of Vitamin C & other so many nutrients You get from A Glass of Orange Juice. All the Benefits & Advantages out weighs the small inbuilt natural sugar in the Orange Juice.
No, this is 100% wrong. The sugar load of natural orange juice is HUGE. It is not at all merely a "little natural sugar".

If you don't need all those FAST sugar grams RIGHT NOW (as in a Hypo emergency), you could hardly put anything worse into your mouth. It's a preferred treatment for Hypoglcemia--

So if your bG is already normal or high, it's an extremely effective DRUG for doing exactly what you DON'T want.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Pure Orange Juice

I agree with Blondy and Rick. Blondy had a good point about it being even worse for T2's, especially those who are not on insulin. If you're taking insulin, you can easily bolus for the sugar in the juice, but oral meds do not work the same way and you cannot tailor them exactly to the carbs you ingest.

4 ounces of orange juice contains about 15g of carbs. That would raise blood sugar by approximately 60 points! That's a huge rise in blood sugar. You'd have to eliminate part of a meal to compensate. I don't think the amount of "natural" vitamin C you'd get in 4 ounces of juice is a good trade-off for the damage it would do to your blood sugar levels. And if you drink more than 4 ounces....well, you might as well shoot sugar straight into your veins!

Ruth

Old 12-28-2006, 09:48 AM   #9
(female)

onlynameleft HB User

Hubby has to have his juice!!!! But only Tomato Juice.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:39 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29
No, this is 100% wrong. The sugar load of natural orange juice is HUGE. It is not at all merely a "little natural sugar".

If you don't need all those FAST sugar grams RIGHT NOW (as in a Hypo emergency), you could hardly put anything worse into your mouth. It's a preferred treatment for Hypoglcemia--

So if your bG is already normal or high, it's an extremely effective DRUG for doing exactly what you DON'T want.
Absolutely. You would, in fact, be better off eating a couple of pieces of candy because you will end up taking in less carbs. Who can only drink 4 ounces of luscious orange juice?

Cora

Old 01-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #11
(male)

Takecare HB User

With Appreciation to all the People Who spared Time to Write & Alarm about the Perceived Fear About Orange Juice. Please Note A glass of Orange Juice Can contain Natural Fructose (Sugur) Less than 5-10 Mg. & not in Grams.
Further Look into Immense Benefits. Than Tell me all the Day Whatever Food You are taking, Which one is 100% Glucose Free.
Further More You think If you are Diabetic Type 2, Means You are absolutely required to be denied or deprived of Natural Glucose/Fructose ? Do you think your body stops Needing this essential Energy Supply ?
Please dont take any Aparant Reasons to reach any Decesion - Specially if its of Health Importance. Please look into matter before Quick Reactions & Do "Takecare"

Old 01-11-2007, 12:32 PM   #12
(male)

rickst29 HB User

Quote:
Please Note A glass of Orange Juice Can contain Natural Fructose (Sugur) Less than 5-10 Mg. & not in Grams.
NO, NO, NO !!!

It's grams. It's a HYPO TREATMENT, fast and strong. You keep harping how it's "good and healthy" and it ISN'T, and your "facts" are just plain WRONG.

When 4 of the most knowledgable people on this board agree with each other and strongly disagree with you, you need to think about what they said. I know there's a language barrier, but "mg" and "g" are manifestly different to any diabetic, in any language.

Time to close this Thread, I think.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:00 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
With Appreciation to all the People Who spared Time to Write & Alarm about the Perceived Fear About Orange Juice. Please Note A glass of Orange Juice Can contain Natural Fructose (Sugur) Less than 5-10 Mg. & not in Grams.
Further Look into Immense Benefits. Than Tell me all the Day Whatever Food You are taking, Which one is 100% Glucose Free.
Further More You think If you are Diabetic Type 2, Means You are absolutely required to be denied or deprived of Natural Glucose/Fructose ? Do you think your body stops Needing this essential Energy Supply ?
Please dont take any Aparant Reasons to reach any Decesion - Specially if its of Health Importance. Please look into matter before Quick Reactions & Do "Takecare"
Juice, especially orange juice, will hit you hard and fast. Eating the fruit is much better because it contains fibre which will slow the release of the LARGE amount of carbohydrates. The entire point when you have diabetes is to maintain stable blood sugars. Orange juice does the opposite. It shoots it up, which is why it is ideal to treat a low.

There is no reason to deny yourself healthy natural foods, but you have been speaking as though it is important for people with diabetes to drink lots of orange juice. And that is just plain wrong. As Rick and others have stated, it is especially bad for T2 diabetics.

Cora

Old 01-18-2007, 06:43 AM   #14
(male)

Takecare HB User

It seems the Subject Matter is Lost some Where. Infact We need to look Natural Juices - Better for Diabetes. Well An Excellant & Usefull Suggestion is there to Stop the Contraversy & Use the Natural Juice of this Most Wonderfull Natural Fruit - So Rich in Vitamin C & Other Vitamins, Minerals &
Known In English As " Indian Gooseberry" In Latin its Called " Emblica Officinalis" & in India or Major Part of South East Asia its Famous as "AMLA" & also "AMLAKI"
History has proved the benefits. The Medical Science of "Ayurveda" has certfied the Multi Benfits including in Reducing Blood Sugur & Diabetes.
Use it Reguarly for Visible Results to Share or Ask for More Details. Dont stop your present Medical Treatment & Better Use Natural Form of AMLA or its Juice. Do "Takecare"

Closed Thread