It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2007, 04:14 PM   #1
(male)

greamer HB User
Insulin Resistance

Is insulin resistance reversible through diet and exercise; can I get it back to normal? How long does it take? How does one know if their too high fasting blood sugar is due to insulin resistance or to something else.

George

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User
Re: Insulin Resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by greamer
Is insulin resistance reversible through diet and exercise
From what I have heard, yes. Diet and exercise is the best way to reduce IR.

Quote:
can I get it back to normal?
Hopefully, but it varies person to person.

Quote:
How long does it take?
I have no idea. I have no personal experience with IR. But I am sure this varies person to person too.

Quote:
How does one know if their too high fasting blood sugar is due to insulin resistance or to something else.
If you have a high fasting bs and a high fasting c-peptide, it's from insulin resistance.

Last edited by blondy2061h; 01-02-2007 at 08:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2007, 11:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by greamer
Is insulin resistance reversible through diet and exercise; can I get it back to normal? How long does it take? How does one know if their too high fasting blood sugar is due to insulin resistance or to something else.

George
George,

I believe it is possible, but only if you drastically cut back on carbohydrate. Simply containing blood sugar levels by avoiding high GI carbs is not good enough. You actually need to reduce insulin levels to normal levels. And you can only do this by avoiding all insulinotropic foods and getting a lot of exercise at the same time.

The more severe the insulin resistance is, the harder you will have to work at it. Get insulin sensitivity to normal again requires big sacrifices and a lot of hard work. But it is possible. I was never insulin resistant in the normal sense of the term. But, as a T1, I have had tremendous success at improving insulin sensitivity by cutting out carbs and doing lots of muscle building exercise.

Further to blondy2061h's comments, chronically high blood glucose can only be the result of two things : inadequate circulating insulin and/or insulin resistance. If a C-peptide or insulin level tests shows that there is enough insulin is being produced, the problem has to be insulin resistance.

Mark

Old 01-05-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1e
Get insulin sensitivity to normal again requires big sacrifices and a lot of hard work. But it is possible. I was never insulin resistant in the normal sense of the term. But, as a T1, I have had tremendous success at improving insulin sensitivity by cutting out carbs and doing lots of muscle building exercise.
So...... "muscle building exercise" is the missing link!?

I've been on a diet targeting Insulin Resistance for about two years. My health has improved quite a bit and my blood pressure has plunged down to very healthy levels from high levels, but I still have problems during those days when I take in more calories than I should.

When you say "muscle building exercise", would that include using a glider, or a stepper, or a stationary bike, or do you find that the best results come from lifting weights?

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 01-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
So...... "muscle building exercise" is the missing link!? .....
..... When you say "muscle building exercise", would that include using a glider, or a stepper, or a stationary bike, or do you find that the best results come from lifting weights?
I am not to sure about all the technical detail. But it seems that, for the exercise to be muscle building, it needs to be anaerobic. Which means it is too intense for the oxygen supply to keep up. Energy is created without the benefit of oxygen. And you use 19 times as much glucose. Lactic acid builds up and you feel some pain. This is how you know that the exercise has been anearobic.

Stepping, jogging, walking etc don't usually fall into this category. But intense sprinting, rowing etc can be anaerobic too. Weightlifting is generally anaerobic, as long as the intensity is pushed close to your limit. In the process, you are pushing large amounts of blood into those muscles and opening up new pathways. And, yes, it causes a permanent improvement to insulin sensitivity.

Mark

Last edited by Mark1e; 01-08-2007 at 05:15 PM.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
(male)

cheez HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1e
I am not to sure about all the technical detail. But it seems that, for the exercise to be muscle building, it needs to be anaerobic. Which means it is too intense for the oxygen supply to keep up. Energy is created without the benefit of oxygen. And you use 19 times as much glucose. Lactic acid builds up and you feel some pain. This is how you know that the exercise has been anearobic.

Stepping, jogging, walking etc don't usually fall into this category. But intense sprinting, rowing etc can be anaerobic too. Weightlifting is generally anaerobic, as long as the intensity is pushed close to your limit. In the process, you are pushing large amounts of blood into those muscles and opening up new pathways. And, yes, it causes a permanent improvement to insulin sensitivity.

Mark
Sorry, I don't understand I'm trying to boost the amount of insulin in my system my fasting blood sugar is 98 and after I eat naturaly, it rises to 187. I'm trying diet & exercise(cardio&weightlifting). I'm sure insulin sensitivity helps but how does having increased insulin sensitivity help me.

should i try to concentrate more on cardio.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez
..... how does having increased insulin sensitivity help me. .....
Type 2 diabetes is the result of insulin resistance. Insulin is not able to poke glucose into cells as well as it should. And the blood glucose level goes up. Increasing the amount of circulating insulin won't help if it is not able to do its work - get glucose into the cells. You really need to make your cells more sensitive to the insulin that is already there.

Increased insulin sensitivity is the same as reduced insulin resistance. Exercise increases blood flow through the muscles and makes the cells in them more sensitive to insulin. The number of insulin receptors on the cell surface increases. So they come more receptive to circulating insulin. And your blood glucose goes down.

Mark

Last edited by Mark1e; 01-11-2007 at 08:31 PM.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:11 PM   #8
(male)

cheez HB User
Question Re: Insulin Resistance

I still don't understand, I guess my question is How come if I am insulin resistent when I was given glyburide or Insulin my Bg goes down. (somehow I know im wrong) Please help me understand.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

It is all a question of degree. Extra insulin will bring down the BG of someone who is insulin resistant. It will just require a lot more insulin than would have been the case if the person had normal sensitivity to insulin. Essentially, the beta cells increase their production of insulin in an attempt to keep blood glucose down at normal levels. And all this extra work eventually wears out the beta cells, causing the disease to progress.

Mark

Last edited by Mark1e; 01-13-2007 at 03:15 AM.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:38 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1e View Post
Weightlifting is generally anaerobic, as long as the intensity is pushed close to your limit. In the process, you are pushing large amounts of blood into those muscles and opening up new pathways. And, yes, it causes a permanent improvement to insulin sensitivity.

Mark
How do you know that anaerobics can cause permanent or sustained improvement to insulin sensitivity? What personal experiences have you had?

I need some encouragement, and reasonable hope for improvement, if I am going to get off my tired, lazy duff and start serious workouts.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 01-13-2007, 01:38 PM   #11
(male)

cheez HB User

Thank You Mark, I'm starting my lifestyle change, and I still need to understand many things now I have another question . I'm a big dude (body of a defensive lineman). obese but pretty muscular, I've noticed in about a couple of days my fasting & pre-meal Bg levels are normal 90's but soon as I ate they would jump to 185-195. I was really down specially because they were small meals. After attending my (diabetes)class I found out my meal was not balanced (too many carbs). Now I have a hundred pounds to lose do you think my exercises routine (described above) & a new nutritional attitude.
can get me off 500mg of metformin. My hope Is to be of meds for as long as possible.
Anything you think I should be aware of regarding metformin

thanks

The above questions are for anyone who wants to educate me, any info appreciated

Old 01-13-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Here is an excellent article about Insulin Resistance, and recommended diet, created by Sheri Barke, MPH, RD; UCLA Arthur Ashe Student Health & Wellness Center, 2002.

[url]www.snac.ucla.edu/pages/Resources/Handouts/HODiabetesandInsulinResistance.pdf[/url]

For what it is worth, I have followed her diet for over two years and have had excellent results, with both improving the symptoms of my Insulin Resistance, and in lowering my blood pressure. I am still a little frustrated because, after two years on this diet, I still have to limit my daily calories or I suffer nasty health problems. I want to find a MAGIC BULLET!!!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 01-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #13
(male)

Lemonz HB User

Insulin resistance depends on how much fat cells you have, fat cells don't have insulin receptors which means that they can't help the sugar enter the needing cells. Muscle cells have insulin recpetors and the more muscle you have the more insulin receptors you also have, which increases insulin sensitivity. That is why it is good to exercise when you are a diabetic, because you reduce the sugar in your blood and at the same time increase the amount of insulin receptors, which helps regulate your blood sugar.

Hope this helped

Good luck

Old 01-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonz View Post
Muscle cells have insulin recpetors and the more muscle you have the more insulin receptors you also have, which increases insulin sensitivity.
I've got two 10 pound dumbbells, a stepper, a stationary bike and a glider. Tonight I will increase my use of them. I've got to balance the stress of doing heavy exercise with my heart failure problems.

Quote:
Hope this helped
You couldn't have explained it any clearer. Thanks!

Quote:
Good luck
I noticed that you live on an island north of Scotland. I looked up Tórshavn, Faroe Islands. There are only about 19,300 in the metropolitan areas of the Islands. Wow! In the county where I live there are almost 2 million people. I love the conveniences and great stores, but I hate the crowds.

Are there insulin supplies and other diabetic necessities there, or do you have to go elsewhere for treatment and assistance? What kind of internet connection are you using?

Thanks again for the info!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 01-13-2007 at 04:59 PM.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #15
(female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User

I believe I read somewhere that it is a good idea to take medication to increase insulin resistance even though you are doing quite well with diet and exercise. This is supposed to slow the to progression of the diabetes and put off the possibility of going to insulin in the future. I dread having to take metformin in the near future but would if it would pospone the more drastic medications down the road. I am quite thin and have an A1c of 5.8 now. I eat very few carbs and do strength training 3 times a week for 30 min. My blood sugar is usually under 110 after 2 hours and very rarely goes over 120. It must never go very low though if I have an A1c of 5.8.

Anyone have an opinion on starting a medication for insulin resistance early? Should I even be thinking about it when I am doing well now. I believe the exercise has been the biggest factor in my low readings. I guess that would be similar to medication for insulin resistance in a way.

Closed Thread