It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
(male)

Capttom48 HB UserCapttom48 HB User
Asthma meds and higher blood sugar?

Last night I had to go to the ER due to an asthma attack. I was given three nebulizer treatments and a steroid injection. This morning when I tested my blood sugar it was 198. It is usually around 100. I take no medication for diabetes,I just test and watch what I eat. This has me concerned. Is there any correlation between my asthma attack/medications and my sudden rise in glucose level?

Old 01-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User
Re: Asthma meds and higher blood sugar?

Steroid injections will raise blood sugar significantly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Blondy is very correct. When my husband was in the hospital this past Feb. for a severe case of the flu, pneumonia and a staph infection. They had him on all sorts of antibiotics, and also Prednazone, man that shot his sugar right up. He was there for almost 2 weeks, and from having to take so much Prednazone, it caused him to go on insulin temporarily for almost a month. He is type 2, and it is VERY well controlled on oral meds. for years, but we sure learned about what a steroid can do to your sugar. Things are well back to normal now, so don't get too concerned, I'm sure it was the meds.

Take care, and good luck....

Old 01-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #4
(male)

I am relieved to hear that steroids are responsible for my sudden jump in blood
sugar. I have to take prednisone for the next few days but now I won't be too concerned with higher test readings. thanks for the info. Whew!

tom

Last edited by Capttom48; 01-05-2007 at 11:36 AM.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

It takes awhile for that Prednizone to get out of your system. Like I said, hubby was in the hospital for almost 2 weeks, and even when he got off of it his sugar remained high. We had to have a visiting nurse come to the house for 2 weeks, she also taught him how to do the insulin shots and square away the doses. Luckily within another 3 weeks he was able to get off the insulin and back on his oral meds. When this is all over with you, it might be a good idea to have a talk with your dr. and get checked out just to be on the safe side, but I'm pretty sure it was the steroids, they do raise havoc.

Best wishes, and feel better.....

Old 01-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
(male)

thanks for sharing your experiences. My blood sugar,though still higher than usual, seems to be coming down as my prednisone dosage diminishes. I guess the initial big jump was because of the steroid injection I received at the ER which I'm sure was much higher than the oral dosage I have been taking at home. Only 2 more days and I'm off the pred and hopefully back to my norm. My last test was down to 138. Not great, but much better.

thanks again,
tom

p.s. My asthma is much better too. the treatments and steroids seems to have done the job. I'm breathing free and easy and my sugar is coming down. What could be better?

Be well and thanks again,
tom

Last edited by Capttom48; 01-07-2007 at 06:09 PM.

Closed Thread