It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
(male)

cheez HB User
Metformin, how long ??

Hi, I was prescribed metformin, how long will it take for me to see results?

Old 01-14-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
(female)

luvmyyorkie HB User
Re: Metformin, how long ??

I would like to know the answer to this also.

A week ago Saturday, I realized my symtoms were those of diabetes so I checked my blood sugar that morning and it was 348. I went to a doc in the box and they drew blood for labs and put me on 1000 mg Gucophage twice a day and 80 mg Diovan daily and told me to come back in a week. My regular physician was out-of-town last week but I'm following up with him this week. I have been taking the meds as ordered and watching my diet very carefully. However, I have not been able to get my blood sugar below the mid 200s and mainly stays in the 300 range, even when fasting. Before eating supper tonight, it was 398. I am so hoping to be able to treat this with diet and exercise alone eventually.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 04:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Sorry I can't give specifics but I do know that some of the meds can take several weeks to kick in.

Good luck to you both.

Cora

Old 01-15-2007, 06:51 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

I use metformin in combination with insulin. My own observations from having spent time on and off it, is that it takes about a week for me to see it reducing my blood sugar levels in the average - I do 4 sticks a day. After
about two weeks, it is stable.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twokatss HB User

Metformin works pretty quick. Not like Actos, or Amaryl that take a few days to a few weeks. You should see results within 2 to 3 days.

ope you do not get loose bowels from it. That is one side effect that is not nice.:

Old 01-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
(male)

madhu.aryal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post
Hi, I was prescribed metformin, how long will it take for me to see results?
My doctor told me that the results are seen after four weeks. I am taking Actos 45 mg once a day in the morning before b'fast and Metphormin 500 mg twice a day after meals. I started Metphormin 3 weeks back and results are better! I am keeping my fingers crossed but for how long I have to continue?.... I don't know. Real results are expected after 4 weeks.

All the best to you !

Old 01-19-2007, 11:02 AM   #7
(male)

cheez HB User

Thanks, to all of you.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:55 AM   #8
(male)

northsunm HB User

I have been taking Metformin for several years now. I use it with glyburide and now with Avandia as well. I think that Metformin should work quicklly. I first used just exercise and then just glyburide but I had to keep increasing the dosage of glyburide so the doctor used metformin to help out. It worked almost right away. Eventually though after several years even that combination ceased to keep my BG at target levels (below 7 fasting in international units). I started avandia plus metformin but that did not work at all. I changed doctors and the new doctor put me back on glyburide as well. It is working wonders. I think that next time I visit the doctor we can cut down on the avandia dosage at least for a while. I suppose eventually I will go on insulin but I am 74 and have had no complications so I guess I can't complain!

Old 01-22-2007, 08:17 AM   #9
(male)

Takecare HB User

Metformin, Usually This is the First Medicine, Prescribed for The Newly Detected or Possible boarderline Diabetes.

Yes, the Medicine has been well accepted & has proved to be effective all over in General terms.

But most important thing is THE TIME of taking the Medicine. Please Read A informative Printed Paper about the Medicine, Which comes in every Box of Medicine or Listen to your Doctor about "How & When to take the Medicine"

PLEASE NOTE TO TAKE Metformin atleast 20-30 Minutes BEFORE your MEALS.

Usualy People take just before the Meals, Thats WRONG & You are deprived of desired Results.
Please take a little Extra care & See the difference. Wishing you Better Health & Smiles. Do "TAKECARE"

Last edited by Takecare; 01-22-2007 at 08:18 AM.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:54 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

CoyoteBound HB User

My Husband was put on Metformin for his diabetes and he could check his sugar and it would nothing for it to be in the 300's at the time. After starting the Metformin, he takes 1000mg twice a day and he takes it 30 minutes before his meals and his count is usually 103 to 110 now so it has worked wonders for him. He does try and watch what he eats, but there is times that he goes ove board but he does keep his sugar under control with Metformin. Good Luck To All!

Old 01-28-2007, 01:00 PM   #11
(female)

Luckylady3 HB User

hi there am 69 years of age and have been on Metformin 500 mg twice a day
although I cheat and only take 1 tablet in the morning which means I am only taking 500mg now that so far has kept my sugar reasonable we figure ours
different in canada my count should be 5.5 but it is always at least 10.9 after breakfast and 7.9 by night time. so far I have no need for Insulin and hope I never have to take it . but Metformin is strong and sometimes I think I have stomache problems because of it but I would rather take that then Insulin good luck to you with what ever you decide to take

Old 01-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #12
(female)

Luckylady3 HB User

Hi
I am 69 years of age and have been taking Metformin for the past year
I only take 500 mg a day although was to take 1000 mg.
so far it has helped keep me away from shots of Insulin. Metformin is very
strong and I think it makes my stomache upset sometimes. but it is
worth it . I think you have to take it for a while before it starts to
lower your sugar. we count ours differnt in canada I should be at
5.7 but in the morning I am 10.7 after breakfast and sometimes later at night
average is 7.9 for me and I know if I took the other tablet it might stay
lower
I hope you stay on it as it will hopefully stop you from having to take Insulin
and it does take a while to get into your system
good luck

Old 01-28-2007, 04:35 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

twokatss HB User

For you people on Metformin-----Do you have loose bowels from it.........??

I had to go off it because of that----sudden diarhrea. My DR said that is the main trouble with it but alot of people tolerate it well. Please let me know. My sugars were good while on it, but now am on Amaryl and not so go od.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #14
(male)

northsunm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokatss View Post
For you people on Metformin-----Do you have loose bowels from it.........??

I had to go off it because of that----sudden diarhrea. My DR said that is the main trouble with it but alot of people tolerate it well. Please let me know. My sugars were good while on it, but now am on Amaryl and not so go od.

I have taken metformin for some time. Perhaps you might adjust to the problem after while but then many individuals suffer side effects that makes a particular drug's use not advisable. I do have loose stools once in a while but I think it is caused by the fact that I have extra long bowels with pockets in them! Lets change the subject!

Closed Thread