It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
(male)

thebradster HB User
Exercise, protein and type I

Hello, ladies and gentlemen...
I'm new to the forum and I have to say this is great! I've been lurking for several weeks now and I have to tear myself away sometimes. I've found so much information and support here... and there are alot of us out there, I'm finding out. Thank you!

Now, for my question. Im 35 years old, and was diagnosed last march with type I. On top of the MANY questions I have, my biggest concern at this moment is my health and weight. I've started a weight lifting program and was wondering what the protein requirments will do to a type I. I'm 200 lbs and a "normal" person would need right at 200 grams of protein per day to heal and grow muscle. I haven't lost any weight yet, but I've been able to maintain my 200 lbs. I HAVE to become healthier, and would love to bulk up, but not at the risk of doing long term damage..
has anyone had any experience with this??
and is it even possible to loose weight while taking 20 units of Lantis and a sliding scale of humalog? I've heard that the insulin packs in on ya...
thank you,
Brad

Old 01-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Exercise, protein and type I

It is interesting that I recently read a threat elsewhere regarding the topic of does insulin make you fat. Insulin does not make you fat. While it can be more difficult for a person with T1 to lose weight because of the necessity to eat when low, the bottom line is that you have to balance your energy expenditures with the amount of energy (food) that you are eating.

To lose weight, a person with diabetes has to balance food with insulin and excercise. Less food and more exercise requires less insulin. In that way you can shed some pounds.

As to protein requirements, there aren't really any hard and fast rules as long as you don't have any kidney damage. Seeing as you haven't had T1 for that long, I doubt it is an issue, although it wouldn't hurt to see a dietitian just in case.

Take care.

Cora

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #3
(male)

rickst29 HB User

Hmmm. I honestly don't know, but these are MY GUESSES about it:

Many of the big increases in risk of Death for us D. folks (I'm T1 also) come from Vascular disease and resulting Stroke, Heart Attack, etc. Even if it's 100% MUSCLE, piling on a lot of weight adds many many miles of arteries and veins. Tearing it down and building it back up (as in REAL Body Building) is of course a big stress on your Liver, probably not a good idea. I don't know how tall you are-- if you're packing all this muscle on a 5' 6" frame, maybe it IS a bit too much muscle mass to be healthy. But if you're just working to improve strength and be healthier/stronger, not "tearing yourself down" and creating unnatural bulk for appearance, that's probably a GOOD thing. And how's your blood pressure? Keep an eye on it, for sure.

200 gm (about 800 "Calories") of protein a day isn't at all excessive for a 200 pounder. That's well under half of your total calories (unless you're losing weight quickly), and if the rest is well balanced (some carbs, some fat, nicely distributed throughout the day) then I don't think this is too much, unless you've already got protein-related liver and/or kidney issues.

Again, I'm not at all qualified to say, but there's my thoughts anyway.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

The big advantage of building muscle is that it increases insulin sensitivity. Which makes controlling blood glucose levels a lot easier. And the more insulin sensitive you are, the easier weight control becomes. Insulin resistance, on the other hand, causes the metabolism to slow down and excess carbs to be stored as fat. As long as your kidneys are OK, you shouldn't have any problems.

So I would suggest that you keep up the bodybuilding. I would however caution against going overboard with the protein. You are eating 2.2gm/KG of body weight a day, which is a lot. And you don't want your body using a significant amount of this protein for energy. It can result ion you losing muscle, which is the opposite of the effect you are looking for. I limit my protein to about 1 gm/Kg of body weight a day. But then I don't work out that intensively - usually 4 times a week.

Mark

Last edited by Mark1e; 01-17-2007 at 11:49 AM.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:56 PM   #5
(male)

thebradster HB User

thanks to all of you! this really helps ease my fears about all of this. I may just be new to the whole thing, but I'm so worried about doing ANYTHING that may cause added stress to my body. My little brother was diagnosed with type I, too, when he was nine. Hes twenty nine now, and he's blind and about to loose a leg. I will NOT end up like that! So if you guys see ton's of post with tons of questions, you'll know why. I have to educate myself, and this is the best place I've found for that.
and again, thank you to Everyone here. This forum is a god send....

Old 01-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #6
(male)

rickst29 HB User
Question Re: Exercise, protein and type I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1e View Post
You are eating 2.2gm/KG of body weight a day, which is a lot.
He's 90 Kg and exercising really hard. I would swag that he burns at least 2200 calories a day. (Probably A LOT more than that, too). So 800 cals from protein is barely more than a traditional 40:30:30 "healthy" diet, I'm guessing NOT a problem unless he's got kidney or liver issues. And people with D often do better with slightly less carb, slightly more protein and fat.

Mark1e, I know you to be a VERY smart guy... so I'm posting this mostly to ask you: Am I blowing off something which I really ought to know?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-19-2007, 02:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
.... 800 cals from protein is barely more than a traditional 40:30:30 "healthy" ....
Rick,

I don't believe it is useful to think about protein in terms of how many calories we are getting from it. The main purpose of consuming protein is so that it can be converted into the the amino acids the body uses to make the 50,000 proteins it needs to function properly. It uses them to build tissue and do repairs and maintenance. You don't want this dietary protein to be used for energy. Firstly because it is a very expensive energy source. And secondly, because it gets your body into bad habits.

If the body doesn't get the protein it needs to satisfy it's amino acid requirements, it steals from your muscles. And if your have trained your body to use protein for energy, and this source of energy dries up (like between meals or while you are sleeping), it will steal from your muscles again. Which is why eating too much protein can make you lose muscle.

30% of calories from protein sounds way too high to me. The carb : protein : fat ratio for the standard american diet is something like 50:20:30. The low-carb diet I follow is more like 10:15:75. And I would suggest that 15% of calories is as much protein as even a moderatly active person needs.

It is easier to think of protein requirements in terms of daily grams/kilogram of body weight. The rule-of-thumb is that a sedentary person requires about .8 gms/kg a day, while someone exercising for an hour a day would require 1.0 - 1.2 gm/kg a day. For people doing endurance training, the requirement goes up to 1.2-1.4 gm/kg, and for those doing strength training, it goes up to 1.6-1.7 gm/kg. So a hard-out bodybuilder who weighs 90Kg should eat about 150 grams of protein a day.

When more protein than is required to satisfy amino acid requirements is consumed, the excess gets converted to glucose and is either burned or stored as fat. Apparently we can only absorb about 25 grams of protein at a time, anyway. The excess, once again, gets burned or stored as fat.

There is a misconception that a low-carb diet involves eating a lot of protein. This is why the low-carb approach is criticised as being bad for the kidneys. A low-carb diet is in fact an adequate protein and high fat diet. And the notion that eating lots of protein will give you big muscles is an over-simplification.

Mark

P.S. - glad to hear the GGMS is working so well for you.

Last edited by Mark1e; 01-19-2007 at 02:44 AM.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
(male)

rickst29 HB User

fantastic post, Mark: I was under the impression that low carb == higher protein, and the theories and facts you present make REALLY GOOD SENSE!

Closed Thread