It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Exclamation A warning about stress

I am a type 2 diabetic for 3 years. diet controlled with an A1c of 5.6. Great huh? Injured 5 body parts in May, have had several steroid injections, have PTSD which flared up after the injuries. So you can all imagine the physical, mental and emotional stress I am under. My last A1c went up to 6.5. My readings are erratic. I can go from 95 to 250 to 110-to 130 within an hour. through the stress I have not been eating right. not the wrong foods but not enough food. basically starving. Went for another consultation with my PCP's nutritionist yesterday and the way she described what happens in a diabetics body through intense stress knocked my socks off. the storage of glucose that releases at different times and then you eat and there's more released. the stored glucose causes the erratic highs and lows. I don't know if i'm explaning it right or not but the point is STRESS throws your whole system off and can create many problems for diabetics no matter how much control you have. I have maintained that 5,6 for almost 3 years until the stress hit. be careful. I had no idea what it was doing to my body.

ICC

Old 01-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
(female)

HannahAnn HB User
Re: A warning about stress

I have to agree with you. My mother died last fall, and there was enormous unhappiness in the family about how certains things were done. People were really, really angry. Luckily, my blood sugar didn't have such large swings as yours, but it was higher than it had been for a long time. As things are getting back to normal, my blood sugar reading are getting much better. From everything I've read, stress can seriously affect blood sugar. Other than trying to get through the stressful period, I don't know what can be done about it. There's no pill to make stress go away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Re: A warning about stress

I hear you Hannah----- as the dr. said I have two choices. either learn to relax, stay away from all the drama and keep my stress level down OR possibly suffer complications I don't want. I am trying desperately to talk to myslef when I start to get stressed. I tell myself it's not worth what it's doing to my body, people need to deal with their own issues, and in a year this will all be over and I'll be sicker than I am now. The PTSD doesn't help as it's very hard to control when there is a flare up.. I am in counseling so working very hard on body and mind right now. Starting to tell everyone "i'm sorry I can't help. I have too much on my plate" some are not happy with me but it's not their eyesight, heart, limbs, etc. at stake they are mine.

ICC

Closed Thread