It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
(female)

cregan HB User
Confused - what do you think?

Really Confused Now

Thank you for your input in the previous thread

I got my results from my GTT and they do not correlate to last year’s numbers and the way I feel

Last Year GTT 2 Hour: 187 mg/dl – was diagnosed pre-diabetic
This Year GTT 2 Hour: 125 mg/dl
Cholesterol and Triglycerides are elevated

After this year’s test, I took my reading at 3 Hour = 160 mg/dl at 4 Hour = I had a hypoglycemia symptoms and I was at 94 mg/dl

My current doctor (the one that wants me to take anti-depressants) did not want to give me my readings (the 2 Hour = 125 mg/dl) I told her that by law they are my results and I wanted to know them. She gave them too me.

I am so confused, I feel worst than my 1st GTT and my numbers are better. My self-test at 3 hours says different. I tested with 2 different monitors (my regular one and the sidekick) and they gave me the same results

I got the shakes again today and the only thing that helps is carb foods or the glucose tabs. I know it is the worst thing to do, but those shakes hurt. I don’t know what to do. My new results prove to me that I should be health and not get those shakes. I take my readings 2 hours after a soup and I can be easily at 200 mg/dl

I have an appointment next month, but I am so confused and especially when I get bad shakes.

I really appreciate your input. I am so scared that the shakes are in my head, because from my experience there is only food that can stop them. What should I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Confused - what do you think?

From your post, I suspect you may have hypoglycemia, which often eventually turns into Type 2 diabetes. Right now you're probably more in the hypoglycemia stage, thus the more or less normal results on your GTT.

Since you are frequently getting the shakes, I would suggest that you at least try the hypoglycemic diet for a period of time and see if it helps. I don't know all the details of the diet, but I think you can probably find info out there on the net. Some of the things that are advised for hypoglycemics are to eat more frequently (4-6 SMALL meals instead of 3 large ones), eat more protein and lower carbs, and absolutely never eat carbs without also eating some protein. The reason for this is that in hypoglycemics, ingestion of carbohydrates causes the pancreas to overreact and produce too much insulin...this creates a rebound low. If you eat protein, it takes much longer for the body to turn it into glucose, and it doesn't stimulate the pancreas in the same way that simple and even complex carbs do.

When you get the shakes, are you testing your blood sugar? You should try testing whenever you get the shakes, immediately before eating anything. Keep a log. If your numbers are consistently low (especially if they're much below 70) then you have hypoglycemia. You will need to use carbs to bring your blood sugar up, but make sure you also eat some protein (and fat) so that your numbers come up, but don't go into the stratosphere.

Wish I could tell you more about the diets for hypoglycemia, but perhaps some of the other board members who have it will jump in here to help.

Ruth

P.s. I just had another thought...if your blood sugar is really spiking after eating carbs, but then is falling fairly quickly back to normal, the drop could make you feel shaky, even though you're not really going "low". Again, a reason to test often and keep a log.

Last edited by SamQKitty; 01-20-2007 at 08:48 PM.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
(female)

cregan HB User

SamQKitty, thank you for your response

I was feeling so lost, but your post and my shakes today confirmed that I do have something going on. I try the small meals or if I don’t have time I eat snacks.

I tested myself two hours after my lunch and I was at 137 mg  but a little after I had the shakes I was at 81 mg. It doesn’t seem like high numbers  I must have done something good, but I assume 56 pts gave me the shakes.

I appreciate this forum, it really helps to talk. Especially when I don’t know what is going on 

When I got the shakes, I was closing out at work and had to drive home, so I took my glucose tabs. I had to take 3 then I felt ok to drive. Is 3 too much? They are 15 calories and 4 carbs. So, should this be an increase of 12 mg in my sugar level?

Thank you

Old 01-23-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Hmmm...it really doesn't sound like you should have the shakes when you've gone from 137 to 81. 56 points is really not [B]that[B] big a drop. I wonder if you're just super-sensitive to the changes in your blood glucose levels?

This is going to be a pain in the neck (or more precisely...in the fingers!), but if you can, start testing after meals at the one hour, two hour, and three hour mark. You don't have to do it after every single meal, but do it as often as you can. I think that's going to be the only way to determine exactly what the heck is going on with your levels.

And, no, I don't think taking 4g of carbs is too much, but if you can get away with it next time you have the shakes, try taking only 2 or 3 g of carbs. I'm thinking that your body just may need to get used to lower blood sugar levels?

There's also something called "Metabolic Syndrome" which can cause weird blood sugar levels along with elevated cholesterol and triglycerides. Unfortunately, I don't know very much about the syndrome, but maybe someone else will jump in here and give you some more input.

Ruth

Old 01-23-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
(female)

cregan HB User

SamQKitty

Now that you mention it - I didn't know it mattered, 1 hr after a meal I am usually easily at 180 to 220 mg. I'll check it after dinner

Thank you

Closed Thread