It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

nightowl2 HB User
Question About Diabetes Classes..................

Hiya!

What did taking classes in Diabetes do for you?

and what did you learn,and how does it help you now?

Did you learn anything that you had no idea about..in other words that you have never heard of...or have always needed or wanted to know more about?

ANything surprise you at all?

or stun you?

just curious...

nightowl2

Old 01-20-2007, 10:19 AM   #2
(female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User
Re: About Diabetes Classes..................

I attended a lecture sponsored by the hospital on advances in diabetic care. I was already aware of nearly everything mentioned but still learned a bit. The questions posed by attendees are sometimes enlightening and and I learned of the only endocrinologist in the area, who got rave reviews from the lecturer and the audience, so it was worth it.

Last edited by Laura789; 01-20-2007 at 10:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

I met with an educator to learn injecting, testing, and info on hypoglycemia when I was first dx'ed. I pretty much already knew this stuff. I met with a dietician to learn carb counting when dx'ed and when I started my pump. I have met with my CDE a few times to learn about pumping and infusion sets and such, and I had to meet with the pump trainer when I started my pump, but I never had any formal classes.

I feel like between my diabetes team, the internet, and the books I have read, I am confident in my diabetes management.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

I consider myself to be one of the very lucky ones. Although I was given no classes and no information when I was first diagnosed, a few years later when I went on insulin I attended the one-week inpatient program at the Joslin Diabetes Center. What a wonderful education it was!

I think classes can be very helpful, but only if they're geared to the type of diabetes you have. Sending a T1 to a class geared to T2's is pretty much useless, and sending a T2 to a class geared to T1's could be very scary!

You didn't say why you're asking, Night Owl...are you thinking of taking a class, have you already taken one and were disappointed (or pleased)? Blondy had a great point...you can sometimes learn different aspects from different caregivers/teachers.

Ruth

Old 01-21-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

nightowl2 HB User
Wink Re: About Diabetes Classes..................

No, I haven't taken any classes, nor seen a dietician just yet....but, I have been trying to do a better job of my eating...at Christmas, I had things that I normally can't have....I did splurge...but I am now, trying to eat much better things for me....I also splurged after Christmas too....I had starbucks or Barnes and Nobles large cookies...like a sugar cookie,and or a molasses-ginger type of cookie...but, I didn't really eat it in one gulp...more like in sections and off and on....I figured that would be a much safer route to take.

WHen I had some large shortbread cookies...that is what cured me of a stomach flu...they were sweet,but, they also had a blandish taste...enough to help me get over the stomach flu! I ate other things too help me with the stomach flu, but, the cookies sort of helped!

I asked about the classes, only because I wanted to know if there are things that they try to literally shake you up about" so that you won't do bad things to your body any more...

Many people at times, have been telling me all sorts of stuff...that is True in regards to the diabetes...and it has done some damage to me....I can't just "chow down" on junk food any more...like I used to.
I have an illness that could literally kill me....and that is something that really kind of scares me, frankly.
I have to work on NOT being hungry..and wanting to binge all of the time!
I used to be VERY addicted to food! It was a comfort for me....I was so "glued" to my foods, that I literally carried junk food bags with me, everywhere I went!
I took them with me to work,and out with friends, and or babysitting etc...I had "stashes" everywhere! Now ,I can no longer be this way....maybe with gum...but, not candy!

anyhow, I just wanted to learn more about what other people do when they go to the classes,and what they learn from them....
just call me curious!

luvscoco99

Old 01-21-2007, 08:17 PM   #6
(male)

Capttom48 HB UserCapttom48 HB User

I found the classes to be very helpful. And by interacting with others in the same situation as myself,I was able to learn from their experiences as well.

I was able to change my diet and do it in a liveable manner after meeting with the nutritionist who evaluated my habits and lifestyle . She also asked about my schedule and as a result worked out a plan that works for me. I have been able to lose some weight and control my diabetes without meds.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

CoyoteBound HB User

My Husband attends classes once a month and has found it to be very helpful to him. They taught him the proper way of eating, how to cont his carbs and calories and question the other people asked was helpful to him aslo. Everytime he goes. he comes back and tells me he learned something new that day. I think anyone with diabetes should at least attend one of these classes and you might be surprised at what you will learn and how to manage and take care of your self so you can live a longer and better life style.

Closed Thread