It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

jenfon HB User
Have a DM question.

I haven't visited this board in a long time. Hope everyone to doing well. I have a question. My husband has 9 people with diabetes on his mom's side. My daughter is four. She has been asking for water often for a while, didn't think much about that. Recently she has started saying things that doesn't make sense. When I question her more, she doesn't even know what she is talking about. She will say "I don't know" and she gets embrassed about it, so I know it's not a joke. She has always been the one to keep me on track, so it is so unlike her to be acting this way. She will get confused about the time, thinking that a nap is going to bed for the night, etc. Now keep in mind this "confusion" seems to come and go. She has even forgot about eating 1 hour before. She will say I am so hungrey. From 5pm yesterday until 12am last night she must have eaten 8 times. That is more than I can eat in a day.
This morning my husband and I agreed that she needed her BS checked. I have a Avina(spelling?). I checked it before she ate and it read 201. I though something might be wrong with the machine. I checked myself and my husband's. Both were normal. I also checked the controls which were fine. After my daughter ate I waited about 20 minutes and cheked it again. It was 287. I took her straight to the Pediatrician's office. No ketones in her urine. Then a lady came in the room and was going to check her BS with their machine, which didn't look like anything special. She kept getting an error message, then when she got the machine to work, it read 86. The Pediatrician was not very nice to me and said just stop checking it she is fine.
I just find it strange that everybody else keeps getting normal readins and she is the only one getting high readings. Also this wouldn't be the first time a doctor was wrong. She is now at preschool and her teachers will call me with any concerns. Sorry this is so long but I wanted everyone to have a back ground details. My true question is should i just leave this along and hope for the best, or should I really be concerned.
Thanks in advance for ANY help.
Confused

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #2
(male)

rickst29 HB User
Exclamation Do be concerned. Get ANOTHER meter, use both.

If Pedio's Nurse is ignoring error messages until it FAILS to spit them out, and then believes the number, find a new office.

When a meter says "error", and it isn't 100% resolved by changing the battery, THROW THE METER AWAY.

As for the home scene: Maybe she's got some sugar residue on here fingers, be sure to wash hands/fingers thoroughly before testing. And buy another $9.99 "on Sale" or "Free after rebate" meter with 10 strips and a stabber supplied, see what happens on the NEW meter.

I'd squeeze extra big blood drops, run BOTH METERS from the same blood drop. (Aviva is a pretty good meter, but check it against something else of a different brand.)

Old 01-22-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Have a DM question.

I would do further testing as suggested and if your daughter's BS is still not right, take her to a new doctor, one who is interested in her care.

It is very critical to wash hands with soap/water/rinse well/dry well before testing.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
(female)

cregan HB User
Re: Have a DM question.

Jenfon

I am sorry for your daughter and I hope you find what is going on. I have been having the same problem. My readings are all over, with clean hands. Nurses and Doctors donít seem to care, my symptoms are nothing, but I feel these symptoms and I want to fix them. I agree with Misty800, get a new doctor, one that cares

Keep us posted

Closed Thread