It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2007, 09:14 AM   #1
(male)

mathetes HB User
Just diagnosed and have questions, questions, questions....

I was diagnosed with Type II on Tuesday of this week (1/23/07). After fasting my blood glucose level was 240. Diabetes does not run in my family. I have it because...well...how else do I say it...I'm fat. 372 pounds on a
5'10" body. Now to my questions...

My doctor prescribed 10 mg of Lisinopril to protect my eyes and kidneys. I was already on 100 mg of Toprol XL for blood pressure and that will continue. I was also prescribed 500 mg of Avandamet for my blood sugar. I asked my doctor what I should do about my weight. Any special diet? He told me that Weight Watchers was fine and suggested I steer clear of sugar, white potatoes, white rice and refined white flour. Other than that he recommended I lose weight and excercise. Well I am on Weight Watchers and have plenty of support to keep me on it. I am walking for excercise right now. I have been on the meds for three days now and my excessive thirst has stopped and my vision is no longer blurry. He did not suggest I test my glucose level. He basically said to take my meds, lose weight and excercise. Is this good advice? He also told me that since there is no family history of diabetes on either side of my family that I stand a good chance of going off my meds or reducing them drastically if I get to my goal weight.

Since I am newly diagnosed and have absolutely no idea what to do I would be appreciative of some answers to my questions and any pointers.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Just diagnosed and have questions, questions, questions....

Your doctor has given you great advice, and yes, it is possible to get off of meds. Others have done so after losing weight and exercising. It won't be an over night thing, but you will get there. Less meds, better for your body, that is, if the BS can be kept under control.

I would like to add that you need to test blood sugar 2 hrs. after eating to determine what various foods do to your BS. Then you will be able to either reduce portion or eleminate that food from your diet. I also like to choose low glycemic foods when possible. There is a book out called "Glycemic Index" or something like that, so much for my instant memory! Info on Glycemic Index is on the internet also.

I lost weight by eating 3 oz. lean meat, 1/2 cup green vegetable plus another 1/2 cup green vegetable for lunch and dinner and no snacks. Walked 1 mile after each meal. Breakfast was oatmeal mixture (oats, oat bran, wheat bran, soy granules).

Portion control is essential. Yeah, when we like food a normal serving looks like a speck on the plate, but give it a good try and it will look larger to your eye as time goes by!!

I found by eleminating starches and sweets from my diet made it easier to bring BS under control and lose weight. I have been controling via diet/exercise only for almost 7 years.

A good book to read is by Dr. Bernstine, forgot exact title and can't find my copy right now. Believe it was 20 carbs for the day.

I count individual carbs (on pkgs, etc.) and do not subtract fiber. This will allow me some leeway in case I do not figure the carbs exact, kinda of a safety net.

My dietician allowed me 42 carbs per meal but I soon found out that was too many, my body can handle 32 carbs per meal without spiking the BS.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
(female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User

Misty gave you good advice. The book she is recommending is probably Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. At least I do recommend it. I try to eat only 15 gm carbs per meal and I do test twice daily. You should definitely get a monitor so you can know how foods affect your blood sugar.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
(male)

mathetes HB User

Thank you both for your responses. I will take them into consideration. Another question...since Weight Watchers, by its very nature, encourages portion control, do you think it is a good plan? Have any other diabetics enjoyed success on WW?

Old 01-25-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

P.S. I count carbs in "everything" regardless whether it is a starch food, non-starch food, etc. I count carbs in broccoli, lettuce, meats, etc.

Some people only count carbs in starches/sweets. That would never work for me, because it is the "total carbs" consumed that counts regardless of where they come from.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #6
(female)

I think you would find too many carbs in Weight Watchers meals. They focus more on the fats and calories. If you can check the number of carbs in foods that you eat and limit the amount that you eat, you should lose weight.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
(male)

xroadie HB User

I'm a little shocked that your Doctor has not asked you to check you blood sugar regularly. It is the only way to ensure that you maintain control.
I would also check with your doctor to see if there was a class or orientation-type meeting where you could get some dietary advice.
Some may find that the mediation will help you lose wait, but generally this is not an effect that will last very long.
All the other replies I have read are very helpful; keeping the carb intake low is crucial, but you have to eat some carbohydrates! Also, I have found that portion control is absolutely essential.
When I was diagnosed 6 years ago the doctor immediately set me up for a class with a dietitian, sort of a diabetes 101, if you will. I try to follow the rules, but the most important thing is weight loss.
Sorry to ramble, good luck to you. It will be excellent if your meds can be reduced at some point, but don't be upset if that is not the case. I too had no family history; imagine my surprise when two years after I was diagnosed, my dad, at age 79 was also told he was a diabetic!

Old 02-01-2008, 04:38 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

While I can't say for sure, I suspect that your doc is trying to not overwhelm you. Since you are only recently diagnosed, you need to give it some time for the diet, exericise, and meds to take effect. Weight Watchers is a good start for you. It is balanced and will ease you into portion control. Once you have been going for a while, I would talk to your doc about starting to test more to see how you are doing. And from there you can fine tune to the diet to what works for you. Diabetes is a lot of work, but definitely worth the effort. You will be able to live a long and happy life if you take care of yourself.

Best of luck.

Cora

Old 02-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Since you are only recently diagnosed
This thread is over a year old. I wonder how the OP is doing now?

Closed Thread