It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2007, 04:55 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User
Diabetes And Arm Pain Please Help

Hi, I have just spent the last hour reading through threads hoping to come across someone with the same problem as me....For about the last 6 to 12 months I am suffering from terrible pain in my shoulders and arms. It seems to be worse at night time and particularly if I sleep with my arms up over my head ( which is how I like to sleep ) My doctor says it is related to my diabetes. I am type 2 and have been for about 20 years now. He says that he can inject cortizone ( sp ) into my shoulders, but its only going to be temporary relief ( 1 to 2 yrs ) then it will come back again. He did tell me the name but I cant remember what he called it Is this a form of neuropathy ? Does anyone else on here suffer from it ? I find the muscles in my arms really hurt too if I touch them....I have two little ones a 2 yr and a 3 yr old who are always jumping on me and sometimes I will scream out in pain if they only slightly lean on my arms....Anyway hoping to hear from someone else who may have this condition and what they did to help it ? thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:08 AM   #2
(female)

vikingirl HB User
Re: Diabetes And Arm Pain Please Help

Sounds like you may have what is referred to as "frozen shoulder". You may want to look that up on the Net. I had it last January; lasted about 4 months. From what I understand, cortizone can help with the immediate pain relief but it something that just goes away on its own. I didn't do the shot(s), just waited it out.

Cheers,
- Vikingirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2007, 06:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

I used accupuncture but any physiotherapy will do. The treatment for frozen shoulder is heat and manipulation. Basically what happens is that excess glucose in your system can make tendons and ligaments "sticky". It seems to happen very often in the shoulder. Cortisone will actually make it worse because it will make your blood sugar go up. Start by putting a heating pad on it and then look for some good physiotherapy.

The reason I know this is that I started at a bad physio who put ice on it because she thought it was tendonitis. It got worse so I went to my accupuncturist who diagnosed frozen shoulder. I did some research and got the above information.

Good luck.

Cora

Old 02-03-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

Quote:
Start by putting a heating pad on it and then look for some good physiotherapy.
I had this, too - "frozen shoulder" - one doc gave me a steroid injection in the shoulder, it helped for a month, then things went back. I went to physical therapy, but recognized that all the therapist did was take me through some range-of-motion which I could do myself.

I kept on working the shoulder and forcing the limits up to the threshhold of pain, gradually, it improved and I have been free from it ever since, about 3 years now.

I remember that it was painful.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Hi have had this same pain now on and off for about 6 months my pain is more on movment and it hurts more in my arm and goes up into my shoulder.

I have a under-active thyroid and apparently they also go hand in hand together!!...Mandy

Old 02-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
(male)

normdog HB User

I too have had frozen shoulder twice and each time it lasted about 15 months. That was 8 years ago and it hasn't come back since - not even slightly. Sometimes you just have to wait it out although I would think cortisone would help. It only hurt really bad when I raised my arm over my head. Good luck - I know the pain is no fun.

Closed Thread