It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2007, 11:09 AM   #1
(female)

sassygrrl32 HB User
Question About Blood Glucose Numbers

A couple of months ago I started feeling a little lightheaded, dizzy, weak if I went too long without eating. Once or twice felt like I was going to pass out. Every so often I'll have this problem and it will go away after a week or two. I get my sugar tested regularly, usually once a year or so, and it's always good. Fasting has always been in the 80's, occasionally in the 70's. Several people in my family have suffered from low blood sugar. My uncle did and eventually became diabetic.
Anyway, was out of town, couldn't go to my regular dr, and got a sugar test done. Can't remember the exact number, it was in the low 100's. Dr said under the new guidelines 100 to 125 is now pre diabetic. Said I needed to get a second sugar test done to make sure. I had to come home and couldn't get a second test. I'm going back to my regular dr in a couple of weeks. The dr said until then I needed to get a meter and test and gave me a few guidelines.
My fasting sugar is usually between 90 and 100 in the morning. That dr said optimal is between 70 and 90. After meals, 2 hrs after is usually below 120, usually between 110 and 120 and I don't think it's ever been above 140. The highest readings I've had were 30-45 minutes after a meal and they were 165 and 140. Before meals is usually in the 80's. After snacks I'll get readings in the 80's and 90's usually. Always below 120. Yesterday 2 hrs after a snack was 79(my lowest reading).
Since the dr said optimal was 70 to 90 and pre diabetic was 100 to 125 and mine's in the 90's(only had that one reading of 100, had had some diet soda, don't think that would make a difference) I'm a little concerned. Don't want it to keep inching up until it's not in a good place.

I've done a little research and every time I've had my sugar tested in the past it was after I'd walked. I only live a couple of blocks from my dr and I always walk. I read that exercise can lower the blood sugar which I didn't know.

Other than tachycardia(which is kept under control with meds) I'm in good health as far as I know. My blood pressure and cholesterol/triglicerides are normal. I don't smoke, drink and try to eat fairly healthy. I walk almost every day weather permitting 4 to 5 miles.
Don't have a family history of diabetes other than uncle. Do have a family history of heart disease.

Okay a couple of questions: When it says test 2 hrs after meal is that 2 hrs after the start of the meal or end of the meal? And can anyone tell me if those numbers are pretty good or in a gray area?
Also how much impact something sugary(like sugar soda) have on the blood glucose levels? After eating something loaded in sugar my bg is under 120 and sometimes in the 80's and 90.

Thank you for any input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User
Re: Question About Blood Glucose Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassygrrl32 View Post
..... When it says test 2 hrs after meal is that 2 hrs after the start of the meal or end of the meal? And can anyone tell me if those numbers are pretty good or in a gray area?
Also how much impact something sugary(like sugar soda) have on the blood glucose levels? .....
The normal practice is to test 2 your after you start eating. The idea is that your blood glucose should be back down to where it was before you started eating. But you won't see how high it peaked. And, yes, something sugary like soda will cause your blood glucose to spike. But it should come down quickly.

It sounds like your glucose tolerance prehaps isn't all it should be. Problems don't show up in the fasting test in the early stages because your pancreas has had a long time to bring your blood glucose down to normal again. You may want to ask your doctor to do a glucose tolerance test. It will show how your body is dealing with a glucose load. And if there is any reactive hypoglycemia, this should show up too. The dizzyness you have been feeling suggest this could be an issue.

Mark

Last edited by Mark1e; 02-19-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:41 PM   #3
(female)

sassygrrl32 HB User

I'm going back to regular dr soon.
Fortunately, the lightheadedness and dizziness is only sporadic. This last time I noticed it was before I was getting sick(I get alot of sinus infections, etc.) but don't usually get dizziness to go with it.

Sometimes if my heart rate gets up too much I'll notice it. THe dizziness that is and if I get hungry it's exacerbated much more if my heart rate is up. A couple of years ago(4 yrs actually) it got real bad, would get hungry, nearly black out. Was at the same time as heart condition was diagnosed.
I have too much adrenalin going to my heart. I did some research. That adrenalin(according to the info I read) zaps the seratonin in the brain and in turn seratonin zaps the sugar in the blood. Once I got the heart condition and the anxiety that went with it under control I had no more problems.

When I go back to reg dr I'm going to talk to him. I want to make sure everything is okay and if some changes need to be made I can make them.

Perhaps I should cut out my sugared soda. I like diet soda and used it drink it but then went back to regular because I didn't really need to drink diet. I noticed it's usually higher after drinking soda(if it's with a meal otherwise it's the same as drinking diet or water). Don't know if it would make a difference after 8 hrs or so. No spike with cookies though.
One thing for sure, I don't care for that finger pricking.

I tested yesterday after exercising because I'd had a cheese danish and I found out that exercising apparently thins the blood. It did with me anyway. The blood just poured out when I pricked.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassygrrl32 View Post
I'm going back to regular dr soon.
Fortunately, the lightheadedness and dizziness is only sporadic. This last time I noticed it was before I was getting sick(I get alot of sinus infections, etc.) but don't usually get dizziness to go with it.

Sometimes if my heart rate gets up too much I'll notice it. THe dizziness that is and if I get hungry it's exacerbated much more if my heart rate is up. A couple of years ago(4 yrs actually) it got real bad, would get hungry, nearly black out. Was at the same time as heart condition was diagnosed.
I have too much adrenalin going to my heart. I did some research. That adrenalin(according to the info I read) zaps the seratonin in the brain and in turn seratonin zaps the sugar in the blood. Once I got the heart condition and the anxiety that went with it under control I had no more problems.

When I go back to reg dr I'm going to talk to him. I want to make sure everything is okay and if some changes need to be made I can make them.

Perhaps I should cut out my sugared soda. I like diet soda and used it drink it but then went back to regular because I didn't really need to drink diet. I noticed it's usually higher after drinking soda(if it's with a meal otherwise it's the same as drinking diet or water). Don't know if it would make a difference after 8 hrs or so. No spike with cookies though.
One thing for sure, I don't care for that finger pricking.

I tested yesterday after exercising because I'd had a cheese danish and I found out that exercising apparently thins the blood. It did with me anyway. The blood just poured out when I pricked.
I think your numbers look pretty good. By all means, quit drinking soda!!
Five to six cans of soda a day for forty years gave my husband diabetes.
Since he suddenly quit drinking them he keeps losing weight with no exercise.
At 65, what he wants to do is simply not take insulin. The doctor said if he can keep his glucose 90-125 he cannot take insulin. I read about a product
, a cucumber like thing called bitter melon that is the main ingredient in an expensive capsule called DBcare. It is guaranteed to lower your glucose 50 points in one month. It did that for my husband in 2 days. In Your case, it would be too low, then, if you bought the DBcare. Plus, it's very expensive. We buy cheap bitter melon capsules and he takes them daily plus fenugreek which is also in DBcare. And half his meds of Actos and Amaryl which led him to have a glucose of 250.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:29 AM   #5
(female)

sassygrrl32 HB User

My dad has always harped on sugared sodas and diabetes. I always thought it was just a myth.
I've always tried to limit myself to no more than one sugared soda a day but have noticed recently that I'm drinking a little more than that. I haven't completely cut them out instead drink diet ones.
I've been testing every morning just as soon as I get up and I'm pretty much hanging at 90 fasting every morning except for the occasional higher or lower number. Have had more lower numbers than high. I did have a slightly higher fasting number after drinking sugar soda. Fortunately it doesn't seem to make much difference if I eat something else sweet.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

90 is great!! Keep on what you're doing!

Closed Thread