It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
(female)

phillmonica HB User
Personality changes in type II Diabetic

My husband, age 60, has had diabetes for many years. In the last 5yrs his weight is way up, He is taking a lot of insulin. due to a Knee surgery, he has gotten very little exercise during that time and also had a triple by pass.

We are currently under a lot of stress, - moving to a new state, my son is in 9th grade and has a lot of oppositional behavior.

Both my husband and I are now retired.

What I notice is that he has anger outbursts, No patience. He has had 4 or 5 fender benders in the last 4yrs. This yr 2 or 3 of them. He sees his Dr. regularly also. I feel that I must walk on egg shells. I t is very hard for me and my son. The last trip back from California he took a wrong turn and went for 5miles until he ran into a ditch.. All he said was he must have fallen asleep. He has been trying to lose weight, and lost maybe 7lbs in 2mos. Problem is he is trying to adjust the insulin also. At least 4 Hypo incidnets this mo. He is very argumentative and it is hard to get food in him.

His Dr. will be talking to him soon, but has anyone else had problems like this related to the diabetes, or could it be depression or something. PS, he also developed ED in the last yr or so.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
(female)

SilverScarab HB User
Re: Personality changes in type II Diabetic

Hi, I'm very sorry to hear that you're going through such a tough time. I am no expert on Diabetes, but when it comes to depression I know a lot (mostly because I've experienced nearly every kind of depression) and my father reacts the same way your husband does. To me it sounds that your husband might be depressed and also stressed out. Also, it is known that depression can be (but not neccessarily) a complication of diabetes and visa versa. Also by the sound of it, people who usually experience anger bursts do so because they are unsatisfied with something, in this case probably his health and the fact that he has diabetes and feels like he can't function completely normally. He might also be frustrated with the fact that he has this disease what might also explain his way of acting.

I understand that you might find it really difficult to approach him and that you might be afraid that he might direct another anger burst on you if you point out his behavior. Perhaps you could slowly coax some information out of him how he's feeling mentally (sad, loss of motivation,, pessimistic) and perhaps tell him that he should perhaps seek help. Because, believe me, living a life where you have to constantly walk on eggshells so that you don't irritate the growling beast is no life.

I truly wish you luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
(female)

phillmonica HB User

thanks so much for the advice. I am working on this.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Phillmonica,
It sounds as if this could all be coming from poor blood sugar control. It's not at all uncommon for people to become combative when their blood sugar drops.

You need to talk to his doctor as well. It's quite dangerous for him to be driving if he's having lows. He needs to be testing much more frequently, and he should NEVER get in a car (at least, not in the driver's seat!) without testing first to make sure his blood sugar is at a level that's safe for him to be driving. Additionally, on a long trip, he needs to stop and test once an hour.

Sure, he might be depressed...that's a LOT to go through, between the illnesses, the move, etc. But everything will go better if his blood sugar is under better control. What type of insulin is he on? It's a lot harder to adjust for weight loss if he's on a mix, but if he's on Lantus and a rapid-acting insulin, he could adjust his basal insulin (Lantus) down a bit as soon as he starts having 2-3 lows in a few days. I'm on a pump, so I use only rapid-acting insulin (Humalog), but I'm also losing weight, and I self-adjust. What I do is lower my basal rate by about .1 unit/hour if I start having a lot of lows. But I also test frequently...4-6 times a day at normal times, 6-10 times a day if I suspect I might be going into a problem period (like, when I'm sticking to a weight-loss diet or getting more regular exercise.)

His doctor can explain all of this, but he needs to be made aware of just what's happening.

Ruth

Closed Thread