It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
(female)

nataliejo HB User
Cool 73 blood sugar level?

The doctor said at the ER they took my blood sugar level and it was 73
but when the doctor *****ed my finger it was 103
wierd!!

we will see ..they will probably check my sugar level at the doctors or give me blood work to go do and I will of course go do the fasting and blood work ...but if its 73... .what a beautiful thing ...but it has sky rocketed since than ...but its lowered to 116 in the morning ...

so it was 123 in the morning ...

ttylater
always
natalie jo
always good to hear good news!

Old 03-23-2007, 10:05 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: 73 blood sugar level?

There are a couple things you should be aware of. The "finger-stick" BS measurement is a "snapshot" of a parameter which changes constantly in your body (especially in someone with diabetes). You have to judge your
BS by taking many readings over time and averaging them to get a good
idea of your levels and how well-controlled they are. I am a long-term diabetic who has good control, with HbA1cs in the high 5s and low 6s, however, I can finger-stick myself twice within 30 seconds of each other
on different fingers and get readings 20 points different. The accuracy of glucometers is probably about +/- 10%, so on the same blood sample well homogenized at 100 mg/dl, you would get readings from 90-110.

The Hemoglobin A1c test is a good diagnostic tool, because it has a "history" built into it, it is giving the "whole picture" of 3 months prior to the test, with the greatest "weight" to what has happened in your body in the last 5-6 weeks.

Sugar "sticks" to hemoglobin. Your body's natural processes replace virtually every red blood cell you own over a 120-day period. So, by "counting" the number of cells which have sugar attached to them (HbA1c is expressed as a percentage), you get a very good indicator of what a person's blood sugar control is really like.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkeel View Post

The Hemoglobin A1c test is a good diagnostic tool,
No it's not- there is not a single disease hemoglobin a1c can be used to diagnose. You could have an a1c of 13 and if your fasting glucose is in control and you don't have random glucoses over 200 and your GTT was normal then you're not diabetic. That being said, with an a1c of 13 it's doubtful that would be the case.

And a1c CAN be used to screen. It's also a good tool once a diagnosis is made to determine control.

Severe GERD and Gastroparesis- Prevacid, Domperidone, Zofran & Carafate as needed

Asthma- Advair 500/50, Qvar, Albuterol, Singular, Xolair

Old 03-24-2007, 04:20 AM   #4
(female)

nataliejo HB User

I dont go over 200 ...the highest I go is 126 mg/dL

the lowest if obviously 73 mg/dL
but I havent gone that low for a while
I go between 85-95 mg/dL after excersizing
and than back up to 123 even if I havent eaten ..hmm..

but I have woken up with 105 ..
but a day after no excersize I wake up with around 126 mg/dL

so I dunno whats up
I see the diatician (diabetic) March twenty-seventh
and than I see my pcphysician on March twenty-eigth ..

so I will find everything out than ..right now I am taking my sugar levels randomly during the day to get an idea of what I can eat and not eat ..
eating Hummus now ..which is pretty good...

always
natalie jo

Old 03-24-2007, 04:32 AM   #5
(female)

nataliejo HB User

I dont go over 200 ...the highest I go is 126 mg/dL

the lowest if obviously 73 mg/dL
but I havent gone that low for a while
I go between 85-95 mg/dL after excersizing
and than back up to 123 even if I havent eaten ..hmm..

but I have woken up with 105 ..
but a day after no excersize I wake up with around 126 mg/dL

so I dunno whats up
I see the diatician (diabetic) March twenty-seventh
and than I see my pcphysician on March twenty-eigth ..

so I will find everything out than ..right now I am taking my sugar levels randomly during the day to get an idea of what I can eat and not eat ..
eating Hummus now ..which is pretty good...

always
natalie jo

Old 03-24-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

It sounds like you have pre-diabetes.

Severe GERD and Gastroparesis- Prevacid, Domperidone, Zofran & Carafate as needed

Asthma- Advair 500/50, Qvar, Albuterol, Singular, Xolair

Old 03-24-2007, 10:15 AM   #7
(female)

nataliejo HB User

Thats what I figured ..and I am trying to make it not to be so ...
I have gone up to 232 after having ice cream ...obviously this is something I cant eat ...
I have these readings being on the diabetic diet ...so pretty much starving oneself, but eating moderately and trying to eat the right things needed to have a reading of low sugar levels ..its very hard to do so ..but I seem to be finding my way ...
but I need to get a diatician's perspective on what I eat... and see my pcp ...
but I also need to excersize everyday
I have lost thirteen pounds so far ..
seven of it since the diabetic diet was put in place ..so I am doing pretty good ... realizing I cant quite eat as much fruit as I want tooo ... but thats alright ...now I savor what I eat ..because I rarely eat

always
natalie jo

Old 03-24-2007, 09:54 PM   #8
(female)

ljs HB User

Hi Nataliejo,

Well done on losing the weight you have so far. I can imagine it is hard avoiding too much fruit. I tend to like veggies more than fruit so my dietician suggested I have two serves of fruit and the rest can be veggies. I am also limited to 4-6 serves of breads and grains a day...and the six is only if my numbers are good. I have had some low numbers too, but I didn't find the dietician was that helpful as far as avoiding them. She just said to have a piece of fruit in mid-morning if it happens...I seem to go from really lows to somewhat higher numbers in the morning though.

I've been reading some of your messages and just had a suggestion. I notice you have mentioned a lot about eating hummous...If that works well for you, that's great. But it occurs to me you could end up getting really tired of eating the hummous after awhile and it might be good to find other foods before you get a bit burnt out on the hummous. I find I do a lot better with my eating when I vary it. When I get stuck on a certain food, I tend to have more problems. During the day, pasta is often my difficult food. I've been consistent mostly with breakfast and even that needs a change due to my higher readings.

I am finding the same with exercise...the more variety, the more I am sticking to it. I have to force myself to do it most days but it's a bit easier to take when I can choose between activities...eg. walking, cycling, exercise equipment, Wii sports, swimming, aqua classes and/or walking, etc...This is the first time I've had such a variety and have stuck with exercise at least 6/7 days a week for eight weeks now.

Anyway, I hope your appointments go well and help you out a bit.

Closed Thread