It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 09:37 PM   #1
(female)

ljs HB User
Question Suggestions for breakfast?

I know everyone is different but I have noticed that my post-breakfast numbers tend to be higher than any other meal. I have been eating low gi cereals recommended by a dietician and I am quite happy with the cereals. This morning I had an 8.1, which is the first reading above range (they are usually still below 7.5 but I don't like them being so high). So I am trying to figure out other breakfast foods that might go down okay and keep my numbers a bit lower.

I have tried egg and toast in the morning and still had a higher reading. The bread was wholegrain so should have been okay. I seem to do so much better at lunch and dinner when I have the protein and veggies with the carbs.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:02 AM   #2
(female)

Canada eh HB User
Re: Suggestions for breakfast?

I just saw a dietician last week and got a little slap on the wrist for not eating a good enough breakfast. She suggested I have 2 serv. of grains (cereal or two pcs of bread), one fruit and one meat or protien. Every meal should include 3 out of the 4 food groups.

I am not a big morning eater and told her I may find this difficult due to time. I work full time and have 2 kids to get up and off the school in the morning.

She told me about these diabetic milk shakes you can get at most drug stores. They are called Glucerna. They are great if you a pressed for time and can't eat a proper meal or if you skip or delay a meal.

I haven't tried it yet, but am considering it because I too have highs after meals, even though I am following my diet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2007, 05:36 AM   #3
(female)

rockygirl48 HB User

I have never tried the Glucerna shakes but I have eaten the Glucerna Meal bars for breakfast from time to time and they are pretty good. Also there are Glucerna Snack bars I have eaten for an inbetween snack.
I get the chocolate ones.

I usually eat either bacon or sausage with strawberries or banana and 1 slice of toast for breakfast with light butter for breakfast

Old 03-25-2007, 07:54 AM   #4
(female)

ljs HB User

Hi Canada eh,

I don't think the Glucerna is available here in Australia. Maybe there is something similar...will have a look.

My dietician told me to have 2 servings of protein each day and 4-6 of breads/grains. I tend to have my protein with lunch and dinner. My grains are divided pretty evenly over three meals most days. Isn't it interesting how we get such different advice?

Rockygirl48,

I'm not that crazy about bacon or sausage first thing in the morning but maybe I will try some lowfat bacon or ham some time.

Thanks for your input.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljs View Post
Hi Canada eh,

I don't think the Glucerna is available here in Australia. Maybe there is something similar...will have a look.

My dietician told me to have 2 servings of protein each day and 4-6 of breads/grains. I tend to have my protein with lunch and dinner. My grains are divided pretty evenly over three meals most days. Isn't it interesting how we get such different advice?

Rockygirl48,

I'm not that crazy about bacon or sausage first thing in the morning but maybe I will try some lowfat bacon or ham some time.

Thanks for your input.
I was told to try cottage cheese and strawberries or a fruit instead of the cereals and milk. I like one whole wheat(not refined) toast and and an egg the best. Also romain lettuce with a piece of bacon and a sliced tomato in it, sorta like a a BLT with no bread. Thats about it for anything different I have. Morning highs make me annoyed.

Closed Thread