It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #1
(female)

mngirl HB User
Question Infusion Sets - What is the best one to use?

I actually am not a diabetic, but I was hoping that many of you may be able to help me out since many of you do infusions.

I do a 24/7 lidocaine infusion for pain. I am having issues with the current infusion cannula set that I am using. Right now I just have a simple butterfly set with a very small cannula. However, the metal needle in there is causing issues. The area is constantly getting hit (I have 2 boys that are always jumping on me) and when that site gets hit, that metal piece moves around. I am getting HUGE bruises because of the bleeding happening underneath. This past week, I actually ended up with an infection because of the problems the needle was causing. It really ripped up the tissue and caused swelling and all those good things.

Anyway...The company that was working with me on my infusions provided me with a Sof-Set infusion set. This worked well, but is expensive. I was looking at other sets out there but I am not sure if all of these sets are interchangable? The tubing from my pump is a leur lock (I believe...I am still trying to get the terminology right). From there down to the infusion site, the needle shouldn't really matter, does it? I was looking at Quick-Set and some others like it, but I am at a loss and I want to make sure that I purchase something that works well.

Right now too, I have my set in for 3 days as a time. I wear it 24/7. I wear Tagaderm over the whole site right now so I can shower...plus, it holds it in place. I am not sure I understand the sets that have a release right at the insertion site. Do you need to cover that up then while in the shower? Is there an end cap you need to put over that when it is not connected? Does the infusion set stay in place with the tape and stuff provided? It seems that some of them don't have much to hold them on. I would be worried that they are just going to fall out if hit even a littlle bit. Any suggestions would be great.

So, since this seemed the most logical place to ask, I hope you don't mind. I don't know who else could answer my questions.

Thanks for your help in trying to help me out! Hopefully in the end I can be a little more comfortable and stop the bruising on my poor tummy.

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User
Re: Infusion Sets - What is the best one to use?

Hi Lisa,

Boy, can I relate!

I've had so much trouble with infusion sets. Fortunately, the fact that you have a pump that takes a standard luer lock set opens you up to trying almost any set out there, and there are a lot! Unfortunately, any infusion set is going to be expensive. Have you tried for insurance coverage?

I like sets that have a disconnect right on the skin, making Sof-Sets not my favorite.

The sets I've had the best luck with getting to stay in our the Cleos and the Silhouettes. Silhouettes are an angled set that has a long introducer needle, but goes in more parallel to your skin, instead of deep. This type of set works well for people who don't have a lot of body fat. Cleos are made by Smith's Medical, and I have trouble with them clogging if I don't change them every 3 days. How much lidocaine do you use? I don't use a whole lot of insulin, but I think higher doses prevent the clogs. Cleos have a built in inserter, which is nice. Both Cleos and Silhouettes you can disconnect from right at the site.

I would recommend seeing if you can get an appointment with a diabetes educator. Even though you don't have diabetes, mine has been a life saver for tips for my infusion sets.

Now, I'm curious about this lidocaine pump of yours. How do you use it? Do you get a basal rate and bolus? How much lidocaine does if give you? What kind of pump is it? How long have you been using it?

Severe GERD and Gastroparesis- Prevacid, Domperidone, Zofran & Carafate as needed

Asthma- Advair 500/50, Qvar, Albuterol, Singular, Xolair

Old 05-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User
Smile Re: Infusion Sets - What is the best one to use?

Hi Lisa,

I use the QuickSet and have been very happy with it. It goes in at a ninety degree angle. I have a 3 year old niece and 1 year old nephew and play and hang out with them often and have only had one incident where it was kicked out of me.

I'm also curious about your lido pump. Do you have any control over it? I gather it is subcutaneous since you could use an insulin infusion set. I have a chronic pain disease and have a pump too, but mine is an intrathecal pump that has morphine and bupivacaine in it. It's been a lifesaver for me. I have no control over mine. My doc sets it via computer and it's set to give a certain amount per day. They refill it, putting a needle through the port and it has to be changed out when the battery dies (they say every 2-5 years, but I've had mine for 6 and nothing yet ). I guess you refill yours yourself?

Anyway, good luck with finding a set that works for you. Let us know how it goes.

Sharon

Closed Thread