It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007, 05:18 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
Can inhaled steroids for asthma increase glucose levels?

I've been wondering why my glucose levels show normal even when I feel bad, but after researching steroids, I'm wondering if my Advair is making the levels go up. Anyone know about this?

Old 05-16-2007, 05:47 AM   #2
(female)

AmieSue HB User
Re: Can inhaled steroids for asthma increase glucose levels?

Are your readings normal or are you seeing spikes with your inhaler? I can tell you that when I use my Albuterol inhaler I spike up to near 300 everytime. It took me awhile of tracking to finally see on my logs that it was only spiking when I used the inhaler (which is a pain since I need it before I exercise without exception). After talking to my endo - they confirmed that all steroids can cause spikes in your blood sugars, and that it had been reported in inhalers as well as oral meds. I am still working through how to compensate for this, because the last thing I want to do is toss extra insulin at myself before exercising, but there doesn't seem to be an easy answer to this one yet - at least for me. We have been trying some alternate asthma meds - hoping to avoid the inhaler but that is slow going.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

In my experience, my Advair doesn't. HOWEVER, I take my Advair at the same time everyday, and have been using it for a long time, and all my basals are therefore adjusted to the change, if it does change my blood sugars. But inhaled steroids shouldn't be systemically absorbed.

My albuterol, on the other hand, does raise my blood sugar. Albuterol isn't even a steroid though!

Severe GERD and Gastroparesis- Prevacid, Domperidone, Zofran & Carafate as needed

Asthma- Advair 500/50, Qvar, Albuterol, Singular, Xolair

Last edited by blondy2061h; 05-16-2007 at 07:28 AM.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

It's been in the high 90's before breakfast and then stays around the 80's to low 90's all day. It just doesn't make sense to me since I still feel bad if I go more than 2 hours without eating. I've been taking Advair for several years. I don't use my rescue inhaler much. I also take Singulair, but that's not a steroid.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

I wanted to add that I'm checking for low blood sugar, not high. I've been thinking I may be hypoglycemic.

Closed Thread