It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
(female)

sandi2932 HB User
Need suggests on getting Nephew insulin & test strips

My Nephew has diabetics and lost his insurance that was through his dad's insurance last year when he turned 25. He is a slow learner and couldn't keep a job when he had it. Now they live in an apartment and he not on a busline. His mom (my sister) is in a nursing home since having a fall and his dad can't afford the cost of the insullin and the test strips. My Nephew keeps asking my Dad and I for money. My dad and have to buy him test scripts every 3 weeks, which are around $85 and he just got through asking my dad for $50 for insulin (his dad was paying $40. Turned out the new medicine his doctor (which he does not pay for visits) prescribed was $150, so my dad had to use a credit card and pay the remaining $110. We cannot continue putting his medicine and strips on a credit card. My dad is retired and I have too many bills to pay myself. I live in Ohio. Does anyone know what company we can get help for him from? I already contacted the diabetics foundation and they said they couldn't help him. Thanks! Sandi

Old 05-28-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User
Re: Need suggests on getting Nephew insulin & test strips

Novo Nordisk will give free insulin to people in need (they make Levemir and Novolog, which are good insulins). Many doctor's offices also have samples readily available. The test strips are harder. My recommendation would be have him to switch to the ReliOn brand meter. They sell is at Wal-mart and those strips cost about half what other brands do. Home Diagnostics Inc also makes the True Track meter, which is considerably cheaper than other meter's strips.

Severe GERD and Gastroparesis- Prevacid, Domperidone, Zofran & Carafate as needed

Asthma- Advair 500/50, Qvar, Albuterol, Singular, Xolair

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
(female)

sandi2932 HB User

Thank you for your reply. If all else fails we may need to check on getting him to change the meter. I'm going to check about getting help with the both the insulin and the strips. There are too many people who don't have insurance. There has to be some type of help out there. Thanks! Sandi

Old 07-02-2007, 12:06 AM   #4
(female)

msgator HB User

Don't know if you were able to find any help with the test strips, but if you were please let me know where so I can see if they can help me. I am also low income and my husband is on disability. Since I am working I do not qualify for an state assistance and I have not been able to find any other way to ge help paying for the test strips. Thanks in advance to anyone that can offer some help.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
(female)

sandi2932 HB User

I was just going through my health board questions. I sorry I missed your reply from last year. I haven't been able to get help with my nephew's insulin, but I did go to Walmart and talked to the pharmasist (sp). He is using Walmart's brand of test strips now and their machine. It cost so much less than the brand names and does just as good

Old 08-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #6
(female)

lovemy2girls HB User

contact abbott labratories I have the phone number here somewhere or you can get it online that is how I got it. I now get my testing supplies free of charge they are the makers of the freestyle if he does not qualify check on ebay also the makers of lantus will give free insulin
here is the link
[url]www.abbottdiabetescare.com[/url] after you go to it then click on contact us you can get a phone number where you can call them they ask you to send them some info.
1. copy of income taxes
2. letter stating you are not eligable for state medical assistance
3. a perscription from your dr. for how many times a day you are suppose to test

Last edited by lovemy2girls; 08-07-2008 at 07:26 PM.

Closed Thread