It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 08:17 AM   #1
(male)

nldaigle HB User
Weight Loss Stalled

I am a thirty seven year old male, 6' 1" and 310 lbs.Earlier this year i was not doing well with my Diabetes, i am a binge eater and suffer from depression, i had sugars in the three and four hundreds constantly. i lost about fifteen pounds due to this. i finally pulled myself together, started eating better and walking, my doctor put me on actos in addition to my metformin and finally lantus-fifteen units. my sugars are now normal-ranging in the 80-150 range. i lost about ten more pounds and now seem to be stalled. My doctor says i should feel good that i did not regain the weight i lost due to high blood sugars as this is usually what happens. i am walking almost daily, about 2 to 5 miles and eating decently. is this common when one takes insulin? it is very discouraging to work your *** of for a month and lose a pound. could it be muscle mass building? feed back would be welcome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Weight Loss Stalled

Hello and welcome.

I am so glad to hear that the weight loss due to high sugars has stopped. I know that sounds a bit mean and a bit contradictory, but it is really a good thing. When you lose weight like that it is very bad for your body. That sort of weight loss produces a very large amount of ketones and those are like acid to your organs. Very bad for nerves and other things. Hopefully, there will be no permanent damage.

Your doctor is right, too. It is a tribute to your very hard efforts that you didn't regain that weight. Basically, your body was starving. Since you obviously worked your tail off after you got your act together, you should think of keeping that weight off as though you had actually lost another 15 pounds.

There could be several reasons why your weight loss has stalled. Firstly, it may be due to how you lost the original weight. It may be a bit of a backlash to the crisis that your body was in.

It can also be a bit more difficult to lose weight when your blood sugars are controlled with insulin. Basically what happens is that if your blood sugars are good, everything you eat has the opportunity to get into your cells. Before, what you were eating was simply being flushed out as excess sugar in your urine - very dangerous.

I know that the slow weight loss can be frustrating, but even at a pound or two a month, you are making progress. And the good news is that you will be much less likely to ever gain it back if you lose it that slowly. Even at 2 pounds a month, that's about 25 pounds a year, and that is excellent progress.

Congrats on all the hard work taking care of your self. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Cora

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread