It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
(female)

lin14534 HB User
Newly diagnosed - need help

I am a 55 yr old female who was recently diagnosed with T2 diabetes. I have been looking on the web to read as much information about this disease as I can to make healthy choices for myself. In researching, I have become extremely upset, anxious and depressed. Is it an inevitable fact that anyone diagnosed with diabetes will eventually get one of the terrible complications that is written about all over the internet? (blindness, amputation, neuropathy, etc.) One guy wrote that "now I know what I'll die of I just don't know when". It shook me to my core. My fasting BG was 138. I now take my BG readings before each meal and 2 hours after. I've been reading alot about following a low-carb diet and it makes a lot of sense to me. I guess I'm just writing to say hello and to try and get any encouragement that anyone can offer. If I take care of myself (diet and exercise) can I live a long life maybe? I cry everyday about this and will be seeking out a qualified mental health provider. Thanks for all your help.
Linda

Old 09-23-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
(female)

gjtrem HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed - need help

HI,I have been a diabetic for 9 years. If you change your diet, walk, swim, and other things to lose wieght, You will do fine, yes some people develope problems, do what your dr. says take really good care of your feet, any wounds etc. you can control your diabetes through diet, for along time as long as you eat the right foods, I have found that not only carbs are important, sodium intake is also important. Eat healthy, watch your breads, soda, anything that is high in carbs and sodium. I have lost over 37 pounds and I'm doing well. take care good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
(female)

madison55 HB User

Hi Linda,
I was diagnosed almost exactly one year ago in Sept. 06. You will be fine.
As the previous poster said, just follow your doctor's directions. Most newly diagnosed patients are referred to a diabetic educator for nutrition & diabetic care classes. This type of thing might reassure you.

I want to recommend a fantastic book that every newly diagnosed person should be required to read. It is called, "The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes; An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed" by Gretchen Becker. It is a paperback, cost 15.95 and worth every cent. It explains so much and was exceptionally beneficial to me. You will be glad that you did.
Madison

Old 09-23-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

No, it is definitely NOT an inevitable fact that you will get complications. The better you manage the illness, the less likely you are to develop complications. This means keeping your numbers as close to normal as possible through diet, exercise, and, if necessary, oral medications (and even insulin, should that become necessary.)

I am a T2 who was diagnosed 23 years ago. Although I graduated quickly from oral medication to insulin (strong history of this in my family, rapidly progressive), I still have almost no complications, and those I do have are very minor (skin problems, mostly...dryness, etc., some mild nerve damage which may have come from chemotherapy rather than from diabetes.)

So, best advice I can give you is learn all you can about how to MANAGE the illness, and try not to worry about the future as much. My yoga instructor has a great t-shirt that says..."Worry is NOT preparation." I love that! Preparation is learning how to manage it, learning how foods and/or exercise affect your blood sugar; setting target goals for your bg numbers...under 120 fasting, under 160 two hours after meals, even lower on both of these if you can do so, and an A1C of under 7%, with under 6.5% being even better. Read up on carbohydrates...those are what affect your blood sugar most. Learn how to eat in a healthier manner (more vegetables and even more fruits, fewer breads/rice/potatoes/simple carbohydrates). Learn portion size. If you can, ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietician for advice on meal planning.

And, above all, enjoy life, because you're probably going to live a very long and (other than diabetes) healthy life.

Ruth

Old 09-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
(male)

ThunderPants HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison55 View Post
Hi Linda,
I was diagnosed almost exactly one year ago in Sept. 06. You will be fine.
As the previous poster said, just follow your doctor's directions. Most newly diagnosed patients are referred to a diabetic educator for nutrition & diabetic care classes. This type of thing might reassure you.

I want to recommend a fantastic book that every newly diagnosed person should be required to read. It is called, "The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes; An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed" by Gretchen Becker. It is a paperback, cost 15.95 and worth every cent. It explains so much and was exceptionally beneficial to me. You will be glad that you did.
Madison
I have to agree with all that has been said. But read the book above, it answers so many of the questions that we all ask ourself's when we are first give the news.

One thing, never but never put up with a Doctor or Nurse who does not give you 100% backup. My own Doctor was on holiday when my first A1c results came through and his replacement was worst than usless. In fact he telephoned me and said "you are confirmed as a type II diabetes sufferer call in and see us sometime so we can talk about it".

Idiot, should be struck off.

Fool

Old 09-24-2007, 01:34 PM   #6
(female)

lin14534 HB User
Smile Re: Newly diagnosed - need help

Thanks so much to those that replied to my posting. I feel better just reading your replys. I have signed up for some sessions at a diabetes resource center and my husband is even going with me. I bought the book that was suggested by author Gretchen Beck today and will start reading it tonight after I get back from the gym. Thanks again and be well.
Linda

Closed Thread