It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
(male)

jinxie1 HB User
Elevated Glucose (fasting) and Fructosamine; Depressed Post-Prandial Insulin

Hi all. It appears I may be prediabetic. I could use some help, in preparation for a follow-up visit with my doctor.

I am a 37 year-old male. Diabetes does not run in my family.

My fasting glucose has been elevated for the last year. I finally visited a competent doctor, who ordered Hemoglobin A1c as well as another fasting glucose. The A1c was normal at 5.1; the fasting glucose was again high, at 114 (normal, 65-99; diabetic, >125.)

In turn, he ordered Fructosamine, which I understand is an intermediate term test for glucose (two to three weeks, as I recall). Well, this result is also high, 299 (normal, 205-285).

The strange things is that my diet is extremely low glycemic index, and I am thin and relatively muscular. However, I am having issues with cortisol (extremely depressed in the morning, but elevated at night), high creatinine, high norepinephrine, low testosterone AND, according to a salvia test, depressed post-prandial insulin (<3, and optimal is 5-20) and low normal fasting insulin (4, and normal is 3-12). I believe something is wrong with my HPA, thus affecting a number of different systems.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: Elevated Glucose (fasting) and Fructosamine; Depressed Post-Prandial Insulin

Did you ever get any answers from your Doctor what is going on with you.

Did anyone check your insulin? Ask for a fasting and 2 hour insulin test.....

Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
(male)

jinxie1 HB User
Re: Elevated Glucose (fasting) and Fructosamine; Depressed Post-Prandial Insulin

Nice alias -- love Oleanders!

Thanks for responding. It would appear that something is amiss with my HPA axis. Definitely something wrong with my pituitary, which is not upregulating LH and FSH to produce more testosterone. And something is up with my adrenals. This is thought to be the explanation for the increased plasma glucose. Endo has ruled out diabetes 2. I also am hypothyroid. I just began Synthroid, and will begin testorerone therapy in a few weeks. I'm getting a pituitary MRI on Monday, and we are ruling out pheocromocytoma, which is apprearing unlikely. I am going to explore jumpstarting the hypothalmus and pitutitary with HCG and/or Clomid with the doc after T-giving.

Doc seems confident that we will get the plasma glucose under control through the above. We'll see . . .

Thanks again!

Best,
~J

Old 11-17-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Let us know what you find out.............

I am hypothyroid and Insulin resistant..........

Good Luck........

Oleander........I grew up with Oleanders in So California........

Closed Thread