It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
(female)

mindy57 HB User
ask does metformin cause diarrhea

ask does metformin cause diarrhea

Old 10-30-2007, 07:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: ask does metformin cause diarrhea

YES YES YES............: (

If you can tolerate it for a while for some it goes away..........each time I increase my dose it comes back........now it seems gone........I am at 1000 twice a day.........

Good luck..............Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2007, 01:11 AM   #3
(female)

mindy57 HB User

Thank you so much for that answer. I wondered what I could possibly be doing that caused this. Now, thanks to you I know.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:31 AM   #4
(female)

Sylvia1224 HB User
Smile Re: ask does metformin cause diarrhea

I had to be taken off of Metformin. IT made me so sick.It brought my sugar down but the side effects are just to much.It has affected over half of the diabetic I know.And that is a family of diabetes. Everything fron chronic flatulence (gas) to terrible abdominal painto chronic fatigue. I think most people are trying it is because they can get it for $4. at walmart.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:55 AM   #5
(female)

mindy57 HB User

I was taking avandia and had chest pains. My dr changed me to metformin after that. That is why I'm taking the metformin now and not the avandia. Thanks for the response though. I appreciate all responses from all who read the question.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #6
(female)

OHIOGrandma HB User
Unhappy Re: ask does metformin cause diarrhea

I must be the only one that is constipated from the Metformin. The doctor told me she never heard of someone being constipated from it.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

twokatss HB User

Yes It Can

Old 11-01-2007, 05:56 PM   #8
(female)

mindy57 HB User

I've found that for constipation a cup of hot tea or even hot water helps. I hope it helps you as well.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:41 AM   #9
(female)

OHIOGrandma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy57 View Post
I've found that for constipation a cup of hot tea or even hot water helps. I hope it helps you as well.
Mindy57.....when do you take the hot tea or water? Thanks for your thoughts!!

Old 11-03-2007, 10:35 AM   #10
(female)

mindy57 HB User

I've used this rememdy for years. I found that a cup of hot beverage helps with gas as well as constipation. I use it when I feel trapped gas or the inability to have a movement.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:16 AM   #11
(female)

coffeefetcher HB User

I have been taking one Metformin 250mg a day, after tea with a glass of water. The first night i had tummy cramp pains and the next day i had an upset tummy.

The second day i had no pains and an upset tummy the following morning.

Since then i have had no side-effects whatsover and i am thrilled!

Mind you, i havent noticed my bg levels dropping yet, either but that is because it takes 3-4 weeks for the drug to work, i believe?

coffeefetcher

Old 11-07-2007, 08:10 AM   #12
(female)

mindy57 HB User

When I began taking meds for diabetes I wasn't aware of all the many side effects that would come with changing my diet and adding those meds. At first I thought the chills and upset stomach were the flu or attributed them to another med I was taking. Now, I realize that with the difference in my glucose levels, I get cold or overly warm in accordance with which direction the reading goes. If it's low, I get chilled, when it's higher, I tend to feel overly warm.
It's taking me a while to learn all of this but as we all must do, I am trying to learn what works best for me individually.
I wish you the best with your meds and the diabetes.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:36 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Oh! I learn that too. When you said chill, where are the area? And warm/hot, also where are the area of your body will react? I always get chilled at the back of my chest. Now the tummy area as well. When those area chilled, my feet and hands are warm!

When I took Metformin and iron then I get constipated (very). Just by Metformin, I'm fine. I pushed too hard and my uterus fall out!

Old 11-07-2007, 04:20 PM   #14
(female)

mindy57 HB User

At the time I began having those chills I had just started taking diabetes medications and wasn't aware that they could have that much of an effect on different parts of the body. Things like feeling like you have a fever or the flu or like having a hot flash. I've found that the chills I spoke of in an earlier post are like all over chills. The kind of chills you get when you have a fever. I do have hot and cold spots on my body though such as I feel quite warm on my tummy but my feet and hands are cold. This I attributed to the hands and feet being the extremeties of the body and my age.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:19 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I am so glad I read this..........I have been moved up to 1000 twice a day of the Metformin........I have felt almost like I am hormonal the last week......hot flashes, fatigue, irritability and extreme hunger.........I thought I was finally going into menopause............now reading this I am not so sure.I have not been able to sleep due to the hot flashes and then chills at night.

I have backed down to 500 twice a day and feel 100% better.........My stomach is better on 500mg..... I seem to do fine on the 500 twice a day.

I am on this for Insulin resistance not diabetes...........my fast bs and 2 hour has been fine......

I get labs drawn tomorrow so we will see what it shows.............

Oleander

Closed Thread